Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Manual selection of weapon group behavior  (Read 505 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Manual selection of weapon group behavior
« on: January 10, 2022, 07:48:22 AM »

I feel like strike (and maybe a few other weapon tags) should be settings in the weapon group UI. Being able to set tags like 'strike', 'general', 'shield pressure', 'finisher' etc. on weapon groups would really fix a lot of annoying AI behaviors that the player is forced to work around, and I think as long as the default settings mirror the current behaviors, it shouldn't be a major issue in terms of learning curve (default auto fitting would give the same behavior as now).

Trying to bake all the right behaviors into the AI for any possible loadout and context just seems like a fools errand.

Also, I can understand a hesitation to add more complexity on the player decision front because it can be challenging for newer players, but I think that's preferable to hiding the behaviors behind a black box AI that the player has to learn to work around anyway. I think it could potentially even make the game easier to learn by more directly communicating the way the AI works.

GeckoOBac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Manual selection of weapon group behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 05:05:28 AM »

An even better option would be target selection...

No, I don't want my Legion to use the Hammer Barrages to clear fighters or frigates, thank you game.

Nightstrasza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 05:26:57 AM »

It would also be nice if there were more weapon groups, my radiant keeps pumping out all missiles at anything nearby wasting precious sabot ammo in number of 4... like I don't care it spamming locust endlessly till out since they have so much ammo, especialy with missile skill but sabots and many other missiles are very limited and AI just dumping them on everything around bcs they are linked is annoying. Or when there's many turrets that can face in multiple directions with hard turrets and missiles and point defense... big ships just got too much going for them for only 8 groups.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 07:33:59 AM »

It would also be nice if there were more weapon groups, my radiant keeps pumping out all missiles at anything nearby wasting precious sabot ammo in number of 4... like I don't care it spamming locust endlessly till out since they have so much ammo, especialy with missile skill but sabots and many other missiles are very limited and AI just dumping them on everything around bcs they are linked is annoying. Or when there's many turrets that can face in multiple directions with hard turrets and missiles and point defense... big ships just got too much going for them for only 8 groups.
You can set weapon groups to alternating instead of linked

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 07:35:06 AM »

An even better option would be target selection...

No, I don't want my Legion to use the Hammer Barrages to clear fighters or frigates, thank you game.
You want to have to manually select targets for each weapon group? That sounds horrible to me.

Nightstrasza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 07:41:32 AM »

You can set weapon groups to alternating instead of linked

My AI ships go all in anyway, remember they ignore fire modes in groups since they switch whatever suits them and even if it was alternating, they fire one sabot, 0,1 sec later with missile barely out they notice enemy has still shields so they fire more and more and more, not sure if AI could be taught to not over extend with missile spam or not to fire reapers and similar at a 0 flux ship unless they are sure they can overwhelm the enemy that way but it would be nice if AI could do that.

Kriby

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 08:44:45 AM »

I've thought about making a suggestion in this general direction myself. Being able to set weapon rules as an advanced option would be very nice once you get into the swing of the game. Starting out as a newbie you probably shouldn't be thrown into that kind of hypothetical advanced menu for weapon groups and such right away, though.

The way it already works is a semi newbie trap, I think? I could improve AI behavior a lot by fiddling with how weapons were grouped. The game does suggest at some point early on that I ought to care about the weapon groups, but it does little to advise you on how to achieve what you want. A general overhaul in that area could add a lot of depth and maybe, in the long run, make the game more newbie friendly.