Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conquest armor buff or shield unnerf & buff  (Read 4241 times)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Conquest armor buff or shield unnerf & buff
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »

TL;DR version:

if shield gets nerfed, buff its armor +250 <--> +350
if shield doesn't get nerfed, buff the shield to .9, leave armor as is.

so, assuming the following is correct:

- the Conquest was built after the Eagle

then, IMO, it should get slightly more armor than having the same amount as the Eagle, as it does state it should have MORE than a cruiser, which it does not :P ( it technically doesn't have less either, but still :P ), plus its weird to have a ship with the same armor value as a higher tech ship(though thats more of IMO than a game PoV).

secondary reasoning is the upcoming shield nerf :P but only found that out just now, and the armor has been bugging me for far longer than that(personally, it should get a shield buff, as every other midline ship has better shield systems than its low tech counterpart, id guess i would advocate that it should be .9, just to show that shields were thought of, but not as much as the other ships of the same era)

ill begin by asking for 250 more armor, but also suggest the max buff should be no more than +350, if simply to give leeway to the dominator, which should be that much more massively armored.

( for "why not the odyssey as well?" because it can shield tank the deathstar. :P )

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest armor buff or shield unnerf & buff
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:31:41 AM »

IMO the conquest's shields and armors are fine...

I mean:frigates can hardly scratch the paint on that thing and since it gets a buff to flux maximums AND dissipation only thing you'd really want is for it to have its shields become directional...that would be GREAT to deal with em pesky annoyances like bombers and hounds ....Again just fit good ol' raepsticks on thoses Large hardpoint and you're pretty much set, can just one-hit about most things out there...given you've got good timing that is...

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »

Who knows... the flux dissipation and capacity got raised and we don't know how much

flux dissipation will greatly increase your offense and the increased capacity might cancel out the shield nerf so that your shield EH stays the same...

Let's wait for the patch

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:20 AM »

I can't wait for this. The sheer terror of your broadside withers pretty much anything. Even bomb runs. Shields are rarely necessary in my experience. And I nearly always fail to use them properly, so this is a huge buff for me, haha. MOAR WEAPONS!
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:22:13 AM »

The idea behind the Conquest changes is to keep its defense roughly the same while increasing its firepower.

It's a battlecruiser, after all - so the design philosophy is speed and offense before defense. Medium-cruiser-like-armor is just right given that, imo.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »

er, then why in its history did you state that it was going to have better armor protection than a cruiser when you want it to have the same as one?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:47:05 PM »

Good catch, adjusted the description.

Although, it's speaking more generally in that sentence, not about the Conquest in particular.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »

If it's going to have the same armor as a cruiser, then i feel it should have a speed boost by ten (10) SU?
Because it's designed around the fact that less defense = more speed that = hit and run tactics, more or less.
:)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »

well, i'm satisfied with the description being changed :P

as for a speed boost: its fine where it is at, as you would also need to increase the odysseys as well ( since it's also a battlecruiser :P ), and IMO i don't feel sluggish at all in either ship, as compared to the onslaught or paragon.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 09:07:33 AM »

well, i'm satisfied with the description being changed :P

as for a speed boost: its fine where it is at, as you would also need to increase the odysseys as well ( since it's also a battlecruiser :P ), and IMO i don't feel sluggish at all in either ship, as compared to the onslaught or paragon.

Odyssey has a flight deck...

I have to say though, I can't field Conquests in BIG battles anymore (my fleet vs. Hegemony system defence fleet) unless they're using gauss cannons and hypervelocity drivers because they're too slow to actually stay alive in the fight (not to mention too weak in the armour dept.)
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »

so what does its flight deck have to do with anything?

eh, that's more of AI incompetency than the speed of the ship being an issue.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »

so what does its flight deck have to do with anything?

Fleet deck = ability to rearm and repair fighters and bombers which in turn = a wing of daggers or piranhas can r**e your conquest in seconds.
Happy times :)