Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Weird issue with combat readiness: my ships are slowly decaying for no reason  (Read 1726 times)

JudasIscariot

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi,

I have been playing the game for some time now and I have ran into a weird bug:

My ships are losing a small amount of CR for no reason (I am not overloaded with cargo or fuel, I don't have more than 30 ships, I have enough crew to run everything in my fleet) on an unmodded game (version 0.95.1a-RC6). Also, I noticed that when I attempt to remove ships from my fleet then I can see my combat readiness being restored and decaying at the same time. I've attached a couple of screenshots that should show the issue I am describing. Let me know if you need the save and where I can find it and I will provide it.

Screenshot 1: https://i.imgur.com/Yh70uBf.png
Screenshot 2: https://i.imgur.com/RBPNSFI.png

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hi - hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you referring to the "-x/day" yellow text? If so, that's the supply use by that ship, not CR loss.

JudasIscariot

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi Alex,

I have tried repairing these ships in the screenshot and I still see the CR decay after repairing my ships several times at the dock (I put the ships away at one of my colonies and then re-added them to my fleet to force the "repair at dockyard" option). Also, I had the necessary supplies and repairs enabled during a long travel run and then when it came to combat, all of my ships were lacking combat readiness to the point of falling apart and that's when I noticed that I cannot repair my ships to full at the spaceport.

In fact, I currently cannot repair the ships to full at the dock because it says that my ships don't require repair...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:07:00 PM by JudasIscariot »

JudasIscariot

• Ensign
    • View Profile

You've somehow lowered your maximum CR, probably by exceeding the limit in one of the skills.

The only skill that I have enabled that makes any mention of CR is the Crew Training skill but I have been running fleets with 30/30 ships and there was no decay in CR. Not sure if the Automated Ships also counts since it only applies to Remnant ships I've recovered...

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This looks to be the correct behavior of the automated ships and crew training skills to me.

The reason that the repair all button shows up when you put an automated ship into storage is the total number of combat ships and automated ships drops, which means the main character skills now provide more CR to the rest, and thus you can repair up slightly higher in terms of CR.  However, putting the ship back into your fleet will drop the maximum CR possible again, producing the negative CR per day

In your first screen shot, on the left side of the screen it says "Combat Ships   463" and "Automated Ships   229".

Crew training has reduced effectiveness above 240 DP worth of combat ships, and Automated Ships skill has reduced effectiveness above 120 DP worth of automated ships (including multipliers from alpha, beta, or gamma cores).

So in this case, 240/463 * 15% = 7.78% (round up to 8% in terms of reporting on screen) CR from crew training, and 120/229 * 100% = 52.4% CR for automated ships.

So without that Rampart in your fleet, I would expect ships without combat endurance to have 70+8 = 78% maximum CR.  Automated ships have an inherent -100% penalty all the time, which the automated ships skill counter acts partially.  So the Remnant and Derelict drone ships I would expect to have 70-100 (penalty)+52 (automated ship skill) + 7(crew training) = 29% maximum CR (44% if you added cores which give combat endurance since that bumps it up by 15%), which seems to match your picture.

When you put that Rampart back in your fleet, your combat ships number will go up to 478, and automated ships will go up to 244.  This will drop the bonuses to 240/478 = 7.53% and 120/244 = 49.1%.

So now your maximum CR dropped by 0.3% CR on all your combat ships, and 3% CR on all your automated ships.  Since you had just repaired all ships up with the repair all button, they are now losing CR since they are over your new maximum from your skills.

I hope that clarifies the issue.

JudasIscariot

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I removed all automated ships and quite a few regular non-automated ships from my fleet, repaired the remaining ships 3 times at the dockyard, and I still have the weird CR decay seen here: https://i.imgur.com/mkwLYao.png

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:47:24 PM by JudasIscariot »

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile

All your ships look to have 85% CR.  As Alex mentioned earlier, that yellow block,  -0.8/day symbol means it costs your Odyssey 0.8 supplies per day to maintain CR.  It's not draining CR.

If you were losing CR per day, it would be in red text.  See my attached image where's I've just stuck an alpha core in my Radiant, which just jumped my Automated Ships count from 120 to 300.

I don't see any red text in your image, which implies to me no CR drain.  Just yellow supplies used per day, which corresponds to the supplies per month usage on the ship info card (and it looks like you've also got Makeshift Equipment skill to get the supplies per day so low.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JudasIscariot

• Ensign
    • View Profile

OK well, I guess it was a PEBKAC moment for me on this one lol. Just trimmed down my fleet to have the automated ship points below 120, roamed about for a bit around my home planet to pass the time and to restore the CR to the proper levels, and everything seems to be working as advertised.

My apologies for my stupidity and for wasting everyone's time :D Guess I got too used to the game holding my hand with every other tooltip warning me about negative effects of being over the limit in a given way (cargo, fuel, crew, etc.)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

It's all good! If nothing else, it's good for me to be aware that this is a possible point of confusion.