Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24)

Author Topic: Which planet to colonize?  (Read 10451 times)

TheEndstoneGolem

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Which planet to colonize?
« on: January 10, 2022, 05:01:30 AM »

Age old question here. My Penelope's Star got some alright planets. Looking to colonize a third planet in it for military hq.
Which do I colonize:
  • 175% Barren Bombarded with
    • Sparse Rare Ore
    • Moderate Ore
    • Hot
  • 200% Volcanic with
    • Abundant Rare Ore
    • Abundant Ore
    • Extremely Hot
    • Tectonic Activity

I'm drawn to the higher hazard rating for massive system defense fleets as well as huge mining/refining profits as I have the colony items for them
Thanks!
Using an Astral with 6 Khopesh wings coz I'm that basic B)

DirectionsToL3Please

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Which planet to colonize?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 06:59:59 AM »

Hazard rating, at least for right now, mostly just affects growth rate and upkeep costs.  You can deal with the growth rate penalty by paying Hazard Pay, and you can deal with the income penalty by just making more money elsewhere, like running missions and bounties or just murdering pirates left and right and salvaging like a boss.

I think you've got the right idea - focus on things like total potential unit output of industries, Mysterious Ring proximity, colony accessibility, and colony location.  Don't worry too much about hazard rating, as it isn't a deal breaker.

That said, colonizing three planets in a single system seems like putting a lot of eggs in one basket, unless you're running mods that increase your colony limit, or are planning to have a bunch of AI Core administrators.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 07:18:19 AM »

Age old question here. My Penelope's Star got some alright planets. Looking to colonize a third planet in it for military hq.
Which do I colonize:
  • 175% Barren Bombarded with
    • Sparse Rare Ore
    • Moderate Ore
    • Hot
  • 200% Volcanic with
    • Abundant Rare Ore
    • Abundant Ore
    • Extremely Hot
    • Tectonic Activity

I'm drawn to the higher hazard rating for massive system defense fleets as well as huge mining/refining profits as I have the colony items for them
Thanks!

Extremely hot planets are the best by far for military HQs, they have a big boost related to heat.
When colonizing systems my priority list:
  • Inactive gate, this is a hard requirement
  • At least 2 stable locations
  • At least 1 of each resource
  • Extremely hot planet
  • No atmosphere and gas giant planets

Resource outputs only really matter when starting out, they are drowned out by the size and later core/item bonuses. Generally best to start with a habitable (tend to have lowish hazard, farming and light industry) planet.
Hazard pay isn't very high compared to bounty payouts/shortage trading/whatever way you make money, but those start bringing in big money first.

Putting colonies in different systems is generally a bad idea.
Patrols add up and in-faction supply is much more resilient, +1 of each industry is most efficient and will bring in more money you could ever spend.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 11:33:55 AM »

That said, colonizing three planets in a single system seems like putting a lot of eggs in one basket, unless you're running mods that increase your colony limit, or are planning to have a bunch of AI Core administrators.

I might have misunderstood but you make it sound like having a lot of colonies in one system is a bad thing.
I ALWAYS search the entire sector for a system with as many good planets as possible and then just colonize the entire system. (instant take if the system has 6+ planets with atleast 1 tier V world and a gate)
(Cons : limited recurses, long travel time if you cant jump. Pros : your colonies are untouchable because of the SHIER amount of fleets that cover the system , you dont need to travel all over the sector to manage your colonies)

DirectionsToL3Please

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 02:23:03 PM »

you make it sound like having a lot of colonies in one system is a bad thing.
Not necessarily bad, but three colonies in a single system does represent a big chunk of your "normal" capacity.  If you've made sure to put your colonies in systems with fast travel points, or at least very close to systems with them, then having more star systems colonized isn't a problem since you can quickly get to them if you need to.  And then, you can pick and choose only very good planets for your colonies.

It's not the only way to go, obviously, and probably doesn't even fit whatever the min/maxed meta is anyway; the colony accessibility bonus for having them grouped up is probably nice if you didn't get any Fullerene Spools as loot.  But if you aren't modded and don't have/want to use AI Cores for administrators, then it might be worth just considering the opportunity cost of filling up a system vs branching out.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 02:37:47 PM »

Personally, I almost always colonize a single system, or maybe two, never more. It's just not worth flying all over the sector to defend your individual colonies IMO.