Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Weapons obtainment improvements  (Read 807 times)

KiraAurelius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Weapons obtainment improvements
« on: January 07, 2022, 10:05:07 PM »

One of the most recurring complaints as well as questions from new players is about obtaining weapons or finding a specific armament for their ship and it is an opinion I share. It is a bit difficult and tedious to fly around many sectors and star systems just to find a specific weapon and additionally for newer players give them a skewed experience on how many weapons there are or able to know more about the game's mechanics extensively. Not to mention the commission and military market mechanics which make obtaining the weapons you seek extra tedious since increasing one's reputation to a specific faction except for independents is very difficult and time-consuming.

My suggestion to fix this issue is to have markets of bigger factions such as Diktat, Tri-tachyon, and Hegemony to sell all of their available weapons. For example Sindria Diktat markets will sell all types of missiles of common type(maybe only military markets but with no commission/reputation prerequisite), Hegemony for ballistic and tri-tachyon for energy.

Alternatively maybe giving the player an option to order weapons from bar to an always available option by contacting the quartermaster of the said market as long as the player's reputation of said faction is neutral or above. I'm aware the player can do something similar currently by contacting a contact that sells weapon however it is locked behind a wall of rng and can lead to frustration if the player has bad rng or wishing to do specific role-playing playthrough.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons obtainment improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 11:24:25 PM »

There's a mod for that.
I wasn't always a Judge...

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 12:01:25 AM »

There's a mod for that.
What mod increases weapon availability?

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 12:03:40 AM »

There's a mod for that.
What mod increases weapon availability?

Stellar Networks doesn't increase availability, it just makes stuff easier to find.  So more available.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 09:41:58 AM »

One of the most recurring complaints as well as questions from new players is about obtaining weapons or finding a specific armament for their ship and it is an opinion I share. It is a bit difficult and tedious to fly around many sectors and star systems just to find a specific weapon and additionally for newer players give them a skewed experience on how many weapons there are or able to know more about the game's mechanics extensively. Not to mention the commission and military market mechanics which make obtaining the weapons you seek extra tedious since increasing one's reputation to a specific faction except for independents is very difficult and time-consuming.

My suggestion to fix this issue is to have markets of bigger factions such as Diktat, Tri-tachyon, and Hegemony to sell all of their available weapons. For example Sindria Diktat markets will sell all types of missiles of common type(maybe only military markets but with no commission/reputation prerequisite), Hegemony for ballistic and tri-tachyon for energy.

Alternatively maybe giving the player an option to order weapons from bar to an always available option by contacting the quartermaster of the said market as long as the player's reputation of said faction is neutral or above. I'm aware the player can do something similar currently by contacting a contact that sells weapon however it is locked behind a wall of rng and can lead to frustration if the player has bad rng or wishing to do specific role-playing playthrough.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Thank you for the suggestion; this is something that's very much on my radar and - while I don't want to get into the specifics just - something I have a particular idea for how to handle.

There's a mod for that.

I'm guessing this is an attempt at humor and a reference to this thread. However, please consider that the way it comes across to the person you're actually replying to is as purely unhelpful and rude, and that you've already received a number of warnings very recently.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 09:46:48 AM »

Can we get a peek into your idea? Unless it turns out it's merely a part of some elaborate whole and it would be story spoilers or something like that...

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 09:48:45 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Thank you for the suggestion; this is something that's very much on my radar and - while I don't want to get into the specifics just - something I have a particular idea for how to handle.
WOAH, I've finally cracked the code. The forever greyed out "orders" tab is actually an ordering menu where you can get stuff delivered to your fleet for a fee. Basically like Uber eats, but Uber shoots. On a serious note that's nice to hear, ever since I started becoming a hoarded I can never go back to the old ways of looking for weapons in markets. It's such a hassle to find anything decent.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 10:30:40 AM »

It does tie into something larger - not exactly spoilers, but I'd like to save it for a blog post. Let's just say it involves adding some reliability to what you can find where.

Basically like Uber eats, but Uber shoots.

:D

(I mean, that's basically the arms dealer, isn't it.)

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 04:27:42 AM »

Just to note - Nexerelin increases weapon and LPC availability (doubles it AFAIR). And as said, with Stelnet you can create your shopping list and stop at the markets as you fly (or just head on to that market).

Personally, after playing long enough, you will find it rather easy and/or boring. Thus, I created an anti-Stelnet mod - Starpocalypse which makes procurement of weapons and combat ships much more difficult :)