Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Betrayal  (Read 3790 times)

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
Betrayal
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »

So Alex plans to implement officers. I was wondering, since officers are going to have different personalities, if they will be able to make non player commanded decisions, like betrayal. If an officer wasn't satisfied with his pay, or fed up with the current events, he would make decisions that would hurt the player in some way. Maybe switch sides during battle, retreat during battle, desert the fleet, steal credits/items, sabatoge the fleet, or even, if he/she was more rash and there was support, start a revolt within the fleet. Factors like the officers origin, personality, viewpoints, friends, and treatment would all affect the likelihood to misbehave. On the other hand, a happy officer would likely be trying harder in battles, let the player have more loot, and report any alarming chatter from officers that might be planning a revolt.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Betrayal
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »

there is a post-mutiny wolf frigate in the ship showcase whenever you bring up the menu in campaign, so maybe *shrug*

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's from a mod...
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »

nope, it isn't.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »

Trippy.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

DarkMajor21

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 05:13:13 PM »

That is a really cool idea! Altho I can see myself getting so *** because an officer rebelled. 

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »

I like those ideas, as long as betrayals don't become the norm of the day, that gets annoying.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 01:26:24 AM »

...Is it just me or peoples will simply just not use officers just so they don't have to deal with em *** ?

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:02:00 AM »

I like those ideas, as long as betrayals don't become the norm of the day, that gets annoying.

I don't think it would be, unless you are a bad captain.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 04:34:50 AM »

...Is it just me or peoples will simply just not use officers just so they don't have to deal with em *** ?

meh, mount and blade had a similar thing going on where you had mini-heroes / champions or w/e you'd like to call them, and they all had different likes and dislikes (some liked raiding towns, others distained it, some chided you for failing quests, some scolded you for letting soldiers starve, some consoled you if you lost a tough battle,   etc.), and they even complained or admired other champions that were or were not compatible with them, and walked out on you if you didn't keep their morale high enough, but in the end if you tried really hard you could force them all to get along (which made for a seriously sick party, as together they could mow down a nigh infinite number of mooks, though they kinda faltered when faced against the big bads(the kings) or one of the many super mooks (the lords who swore fealty to the kings))

so, no, if implemented right this could be a very good thing to add immersion value.

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »

They had a officers dynamic in Sid Meier's Pirates.  Where the officer added some kind of perk to the ship and the fleet.  You also could capture officers from enemy fleets and add them to your own.  This is something that could be looked at in dept...   ???

Deathven

• Commander
  • "Contigo ergo sum" - Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »

Interesting idea. I would like to see how this will play out!