Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: allow player to overbuild industries and incur penalty  (Read 874 times)

Nox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
allow player to overbuild industries and incur penalty
« on: January 06, 2022, 11:13:32 AM »

there's a penalty for building more industries than a planet can support.  i'd like to be able to queue building and choose to incur the penalty.  if I have a very stable planet, i might want to bias against the penalty for an additional industry.

--
No good deed goes unpunished.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: allow player to overbuild industries and incur penalty
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 11:23:04 AM »

Dunno, maybe.  Interesting if clearly explained as a possibility in game, but seems more likely just gonna end up being another newb trap.  Either that, or would necessitate adding more buildings to increase/control stability.  So therefore I can then build more destabilizing industries, so that I have to build more stabilizing buildings... you get the idea.  Where draw the line?

But game also used to allow planet Pop to go all the way up to 10^10 pop... now it doesn't (although that can always change back, likely during the legendary politics update that might also drop cloning vats tech or something besides just cryosleepers...).  Reasoning is supposedly that impossible for player planets to get too high of a pop count, since doesn't really "steal" pops from other planets...
I wasn't always a Judge...

Nox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 11:57:28 AM »

Well as of right now, industries per pop is defined as 1,1,1,2,3,4,4,4,4,4  - so having more pop wouldn't give you more industries anyways.

definiitely a warning popup that says "This will cause instability which can hurt you" popup sure.

--
No good deed goes unpunished.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 12:41:37 PM »

Well as of right now, industries per pop is defined as 1,1,1,2,3,4,4,4,4,4  - so having more pop wouldn't give you more industries anyways.

IIRC, higher pops decreased stability somewhat.  It was generally manageable, since industries per pop was something like 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,4,4; but definitely needed that comm relay at 10^10, which is why game now also allows player to waste a bunch of resources generating stable locations in systems that lack them...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 02:28:38 PM »

Colony takes -5 stability for each excess industry over the limit.  Like after colony gets sat bombed or player removed hypershunt tap after building his extra industry.  Player might get away with plus one if he gave up the stability lowering cash cows (Free Port and Commerce).

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 04:10:38 PM »

If you want the stability penalty to always be felt regardless of bonuses, you could always say that industries over the maximum incur a penalty to the colony's Maximum stability.

Have 1 over? Stability 8 or 9 is now the highest your colony can go.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 10:29:08 PM »

If you want the stability penalty to always be felt regardless of bonuses, you could always say that industries over the maximum incur a penalty to the colony's Maximum stability.

Have 1 over? Stability 8 or 9 is now the highest your colony can go.

This appears to be a more reasonable solution.  But again, would prolly need a clear explanation...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 11:25:41 PM »

Given how valuable industry slots are (both in terms of money but also reducing maintenance or providing more production capacity), its hard for me to think of what the right amount would be. Too little and its just yes, spend story points on stability boosts and add as many industries as possible: especially as income caps out at 5 stability! Too much and even 1 is punishing.

For a penalty of 5, I'd build the extra industry 90% of the time I think. Maybe a penalty of 7? Then the colony would really need to spend resources to have an extra industry.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 01:16:24 PM »

Well... If we can build as much as we want, the logical thing would be to bind production units to population size. So you can have a colony that makes everything but very little of them, or a dedicated colony that makes a huge amount of 1 thing.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 05:12:57 PM »

Well... If we can build as much as we want, the logical thing would be to bind production units to population size. So you can have a colony that makes everything but very little of them, or a dedicated colony that makes a huge amount of 1 thing.

An inverse relationship like that might actually be a more interesting implementation of the colony production system.  So factions (player included) are basically required to ship raw resources to point of refining/manufacture.  Also would make single system with multiple planets more valuable than multi-system supply chains.  But this of course begs the more important question...:

When is the game gonna add space plagues and quarantines?

FYI, the word quarantine originates with shipping.  Normally just something to win bar trivia with, but significantly more relevant these days!