Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 4217 times)

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2022, 08:27:23 PM »

My personal requirements for colonization (your mileage may vary):
  • Required: A domain star-gate.
  • Required: A planet with the 'no atmosphere' condition.
    • Ideal: with ore & rare ore deposits & only 150% hazard
  • Required: At least one other useful planet, either:
    • A gas giant (preferably low hazard & with good volatiles deposit, but any gas giant will do.)
    • A habitable world with food & organics (preferably without rare ore or volatiles deposits.)
  • Preferably near the core.
  • Preferably with a domain-era comm relay in system.

This gives me a good idea of what to look for, thank you! May I ask why you look for those requirements though?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2022, 08:59:50 PM »

Domain star-gate: Extreme convenience value. Requires completing plot to get that value, but once you get there, it's worth it.

No Atmosphere: Required to use the colony items for refining & fuel production. Also a good place for Heavy Industry - it's not habitable, so you won't get pollution from installing a nanoforge, and having refining on the same planet as heavy industry means that you won't get trade fleet disruptions shutting down your heavy industry. (Heavy Industry isn't going to turn much profit without a pristine nanoforge, but it is the thing that lets you make use of your own blueprints.)
Adding ore & rare ore means you can install a mining colony item & get a full sequence of mining feeding into refining feeding into heavy industry, making all three immune to trade disruptions. It's not necessary, but it's nice to have.
At max size, this planet will have refining, heavy industry, fuel production, and either mining or commerce or maybe a military base.

Gas giant: Allows installation of the other mining colony item - the one that boosts volatiles production. This will almost certainly be a high hazard world, so you build mining (which is cheap) and maybe some minimal defenses to get it over 5 stability, and then you mostly leave it alone.

Habitable world w/ food & organics: Fills in the rest of the production options: food, organics, and organics feeds into light industry. This is important less for the direct monetary production (though a good planet can turn a decent profit off these things), and more because your colonies get a maintenance cost discount for each of their needs that can be filled from in-faction sources.

Being near the core improves accessibility rating, and makes it easier to get to and from the place before you've finished the relevant plotline for the gates. Useful, but not vital.

Domain era comm relay is an extra +1 stability for every planet in the system. Definitely nice to have, but also not vital. If you don't have a domain-era comm relay already in-system, you'll need to build a regular comm relay - you can interact with an empty stable point to do this, at a cost of... I think it's 100 metals, 10 transplutonics, and... 20-ish Heavy Machinery? (Or, technically, you can build a patrol HQ on a colony and then let your patrols fill in any empty stable points, but you probably want the comm relay sooner than that would complete.)
If your system has no stable points, interact with the star - that'll give you the requirements for adding one (and then you can build a comm relay in it). If your system has one stable point, and it's got a domain-grade non-comm-relay, you can still interact with the star (but it'll be more expensive). If your system has two stable points and they're both occupied with things that aren't comm relays, you'll have to dismantle one to make room.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:04:26 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2022, 09:11:24 PM »

Domain star-gate: Extreme convenience value. Requires completing plot to get that value, but once you get there, it's worth it.

No Atmosphere: Required to use the colony items for refining & fuel production. Also a good place for Heavy Industry - it's not habitable, so you won't get pollution from installing a nanoforge, and having refining on the same planet as heavy industry means that you won't get trade fleet disruptions shutting down your heavy industry. (Heavy Industry isn't going to turn much profit without a pristine nanoforge, but it is the thing that lets you make use of your own blueprints.)
Adding ore & rare ore means you can install a mining colony item & get a full sequence of mining feeding into refining feeding into heavy industry, making all three immune to trade disruptions. It's not necessary, but it's nice to have.
At max size, this planet will have refining, heavy industry, fuel production, and either mining or commerce or maybe a military base.

Gas giant: Allows installation of the other mining colony item - the one that boosts volatiles production. This will almost certainly be a high hazard world, so you build mining (which is cheap) and maybe some minimal defenses to get it over 5 stability, and then you mostly leave it alone.

Habitable world w/ food & organics: Fills in the rest of the production options: food, organics, and organics feeds into light industry. This is important less for the direct monetary production (though a good planet can turn a decent profit off these things), and more because your colonies get a maintenance cost discount for each of their needs that can be filled from in-faction sources.

Being near the core improves accessibility rating, and makes it easier to get to and from the place before you've finished the relevant plotline for the gates. Useful, but not vital.

Domain era comm relay is an extra +1 stability for every planet in the system. Definitely nice to have, but also not vital. If you don't have a domain-era comm relay already in-system, you'll need to build a regular comm relay - you can interact with an empty stable point to do this, at a cost of... I think it's 100 metals, 10 transplutonics, and... 20-ish Heavy Machinery? (Or, technically, you can build a patrol HQ on a colony and then let your patrols fill in any empty stable points, but you probably want the comm relay sooner than that would complete.)
If your system has no stable points, interact with the star - that'll give you the requirements for adding one (and then you can build a comm relay in it). If your system has one stable point, and it's got a domain-grade non-comm-relay, you can still interact with the star (but it'll be more expensive). If your system has two stable points and they're both occupied with things that aren't comm relays, you'll have to dismantle one to make room.

Awesome, thanks. Makes alot more sense when you break it down like that. I'm still missing some of the key colony items you mentioned for your ideal system so maybe I will just farm the outer areas some more and try to find them before starting one up. As far as completing the plot, I've done all the missions it'll let me do at the academy and it didn't give any other quest, but my gates are not active. I'm assuming that there is something I'm missing?

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2022, 09:16:44 PM »

Awesome, thanks. Makes alot more sense when you break it down like that. I'm still missing some of the key colony items you mentioned for your ideal system so maybe I will just farm the outer areas some more and try to find them before starting one up. As far as completing the plot, I've done all the missions it'll let me do at the academy and it didn't give any other quest, but my gates are not active. I'm assuming that there is something I'm missing?
A) You are not guaranteed to roll all the big colony items in every seed. Some you might never find but you could raid a core world to steal.
B) If you have the 'magic box' in your inventory from the last Academy mission, you use it like a blueprint then start visiting more gates.
C) Do you see what I mean when I said: even experienced players are constantly debating 'what is a good colony'?

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2022, 09:23:54 PM »

A) You are not guaranteed to roll all the big colony items in every seed. Some you might never find but you could raid a core world to steal.
B) If you have the 'magic box' in your inventory from the last Academy mission, you use it like a blueprint then start visiting more gates.
C) Do you see what I mean when I said: even experienced players are constantly debating 'what is a good colony'?

I was wrong, apparently I'm not done at the academy. Just flew back to it and there was a new prompt. As for the "seed" thing what do you mean? I assumed the starting options generated the same kind of systems overall, are they seed based where no 2 systems in any given playthrough will be the same?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2022, 09:30:20 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't wait for getting all the items before starting things up. Knowing what items exist - and what their restrictions are - is helpful, but there's no guarantee you'll actually find everything. Skew your priorities some based on what you've got - you mentioned soil nanites & biofactory embryo, so for you, you should probably prioritize finding some reasonable (150% or less) hazard habitable world that will let you use both of those (so no rare metals or volatiles) - and will probably want to colonize that first and the airless world second.

As for the "seed" thing what do you mean? I assumed the starting options generated the same kind of systems overall, are they seed based where no 2 systems in any given playthrough will be the same?
The 'seed' is the seed value for the pseudo-random number generator that builds the sector - in the context IonDragonX was using, it's roughly equivalent to 'the playthrough' or 'the save'.

You can start a new game using the same seed, and the systems outside the core will be the same (as long as you're running the same set of mods); starting a new game with a different seed will have different star systems and different things available for salvage from them.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2022, 10:33:43 PM »

This is only even in regular vanilla game.  Some mods can further inflate the rare item pool, really crowds out the normal game rare items (I'm looking at you, Kentington's terraforming mod!  But I'm sure that mod will eventually get fixed...).
I wasn't always a Judge...

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2022, 06:57:11 AM »

This is only even in regular vanilla game.  Some mods can further inflate the rare item pool, really crowds out the normal game rare items (I'm looking at you, Kentington's terraforming mod!  But I'm sure that mod will eventually get fixed...).

Yeah I've seen the game has several mods availible for it, which is great. Want my first experience with the game to be full vanilla though so haven't looked into them yet.

Yeah, I wouldn't wait for getting all the items before starting things up. Knowing what items exist - and what their restrictions are - is helpful, but there's no guarantee you'll actually find everything. Skew your priorities some based on what you've got - you mentioned soil nanites & biofactory embryo, so for you, you should probably prioritize finding some reasonable (150% or less) hazard habitable world that will let you use both of those (so no rare metals or volatiles) - and will probably want to colonize that first and the airless world second.

As for the "seed" thing what do you mean? I assumed the starting options generated the same kind of systems overall, are they seed based where no 2 systems in any given playthrough will be the same?
The 'seed' is the seed value for the pseudo-random number generator that builds the sector - in the context IonDragonX was using, it's roughly equivalent to 'the playthrough' or 'the save'.

You can start a new game using the same seed, and the systems outside the core will be the same (as long as you're running the same set of mods); starting a new game with a different seed will have different star systems and different things available for salvage from them.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Its good to know the map won't be the same each time unless I want it to be, helps keep things fresh. It is a pity that the AI only stays in the core systems and don't try expanding though.

Spoiler
I had hope when I got to the part in the story where the academy leader was talking about the gates coming online and people potentially scattering to the reaches of the system that they would expand out there.
[close]

As far as my current items, I'll try to find a planet that matches those requirement and settle with that for now.

Edit : So did some more outer systems and found some pretty good loot, including a research station next to a nuetron star. (which warping into the area only to find myself dead center in a giant beam of light that was damaging my fleet, was not fun). Found a Plasma Dynmo which seems pretty self explanitory for a gas giant, as well as 2 Alpha Cores which I'm not 100% their use but they are $150k a pop so I assume they're good.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 09:45:44 AM by Kinsume »

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2022, 12:53:58 PM »

It is a pity that the AI only stays in the core systems and don't try expanding though.

There's a mod for that too!

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2022, 02:28:01 PM »

It is a pity that the AI only stays in the core systems and don't try expanding though.

There's a mod for that too!

Which one in particular? I feel like I'm getting comfortable enough with the game now to start diving into mods.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2022, 04:29:01 PM »

Which one in particular? I feel like I'm getting comfortable enough with the game now to start diving into mods.
Nexerelin : https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9175.0

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2022, 05:24:08 PM »

Yes, Nex is life!  But seriously, prolly shouldn't jump into Nex until you have had a decent time in vanilla, it changes so much it's practically a different game with Nex... sometimes leads to funny results when peeps complain or drop bug reports for stuff that is actually from Nex.

Kinsume

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2022, 10:20:59 AM »

Yes, Nex is life!  But seriously, prolly shouldn't jump into Nex until you have had a decent time in vanilla, it changes so much it's practically a different game with Nex... sometimes leads to funny results when peeps complain or drop bug reports for stuff that is actually from Nex.

I'm giving it a try along with some other QOL mods, started off similar to the campaign's start with a Wolf / Sherpard combo and the 20k option, not tied to any faction atm. I gotta say I didn't realize how much the Tutorial spoiled me with the stuff it gave lol.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2022, 10:24:23 AM »

Nex can also reduce the time you have to play with some factions in a given run, because dynamic world can dynamic factions out of existence. It would be best to start out as whatever faction you want to check out.

Exasperation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2022, 10:30:28 AM »

I'm giving it a try along with some other QOL mods, started off similar to the campaign's start with a Wolf / Sherpard combo and the 20k option, not tied to any faction atm. I gotta say I didn't realize how much the Tutorial spoiled me with the stuff it gave lol.
It's worth noting that the ship graveyard from the tutorial will still be there with the same selection of guaranteed salvageable ships, you just have to fly over to Galatia from wherever you started (and you'll have to supply your own armaments for them).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4