Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Improve colony leaders  (Read 1105 times)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Improve colony leaders
« on: January 05, 2022, 02:21:28 AM »

They are far too costly 20,000 and are completely overshadowed AI cores. Finding one on salvage is not a good thing, you need to fire them asap or they milk you for 2000 a month doing nothing. Finding extremely skilled ones isn't a thing anymore so finding them isn't working like that captain you find with 7 skills 5 of them elite.

Frankly they aren't worth it in their current form. Colonies aren't the money printing machines they once were.

Kriby

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Improve colony leaders
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 02:32:46 AM »

Colonies aren't the money printing machines they once were.

I mean, I just have to disagree with this. The administrators upkeep being 20k might (?) be excessive for what they give you compared to unskilled governors, though. Thinking about it I think they pay for themselves in exports and then some if you play around the bonus, but it's not exactly a big difference.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 03:04:16 AM »

The cost of  admins are worth the extra productions they give, not to mention the ability to manage more colonies without stability penalty.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 06:24:33 AM »

They are far too costly 20,000 and are completely overshadowed AI cores. Finding one on salvage is not a good thing, you need to fire them asap or they milk you for 2000 a month doing nothing. Finding extremely skilled ones isn't a thing anymore so finding them isn't working like that captain you find with 7 skills 5 of them elite.
Same.  I did not use the IP admins I found because they would wipe out my colony income and more.  I doubt I could use them until my colony is size 6, when colony income spikes up (which I did not reach yet in the latest release).

I think I will stick with IP on my guy on my way to Hull Restoration in the meantime.  So far, I make do with unskilled ones on the colonies that do not need IP yet.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 04:22:14 PM »

I mean, they prolly coming back along with that mythical politics update in 2024...
I wasn't always a Judge...

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 02:56:50 AM »

Skilled admins are definitely worth using. (Even 'mundane' admins are useful!)
It just seems a bit odd that the upkeep for them jumps from 2,500 for unremarkable to 20,000 for skilled.

At the risk of overcomplicating things, might it be worth considering splitting up the admin IP skill so there's more granularity?

Hot Nonsense
Industrial Planning as it is now could become a 'special' skill, only available to the player and a few special/lore characters.
Hireable admins would instead get separate skills for each aspect of colony governance, and they could have several at a time.

So you might have a 'Biologist' skill that improves food output, or a 'Metalurgist' skill that improves refined metal output, or maybe even a 'Portmaster' skill that improves accessibility.
Every colony stat could potentially have it's own associated skill if you really wanted.
Some of them might be straight benefits, while others could have greater benefits but also come with a downside (pirate/crime skills that get you things but cause instability/loss of income etc...)

If the base charge for an unskilled admin remains 2,500, you could set it so that each skill they have would cost another 5,000 on top of that.
So an admin with 4 skills would cost 22,500.
Dropping the increment to 3,500 per skill would make a 5 skill admin cost 20,000. This could be adjusted however seems best.

There would then no longer be a binary choice based on the character having/not having a single thing, it would be possible to 'tune' colonies to fit thier admins, and there wouldn't be a huge weird pay gap anymore.

Not really nescessary, but kind of fun to imagine.
Hmmm... I wonder if this could be modded?
[close]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 03:07:25 AM by Serenitis »

JudasIscariot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 07:25:38 AM »

Speaking of improving colony leaders:

I wish I could call one of my administrators up and say to them: "Hey, I see Colony X has a metals shortage. Can you send the 3000 metals I have in storage to that colony please?". Sometimes I have tons of a resource located elsewhere and I wish I could have my colonies send resources they are not using that I have dumped into the Resources tab or in storage after I give permission to other colonies that need them. I figured using the colony leaders for this would make them more than a JPEG that sits in the admin position of your colony :) I am a bit of a hoarder and I sometimes end up with 3000 or so metals in one colony but another of my colonies is experiencing a metals shortage due to shipping disruptions by pirates.

The reason I mention this is because I have my production colonies on side of the galaxy but then I run into a bunch of resources that they can use when there is a shortage on the other end of the galaxy. I end up leaving those resources because I either don't have the room or the time to haul everything back to a specific colony.