Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enemies escaping from the top  (Read 3165 times)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Enemies escaping from the top
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »

Ive had quite a few cases where a paragon would spawn in then instantly retreat, its a bit silly really. It only seems to happen near the end of fights. (when they are escaping)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:27:15 PM by Mattk50 »

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Enemies escaping from the top
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:54:39 AM »

Ive had quite a few cases where a paragon would spawn in then instantly retreat, its a bit silly really. It only seems to happen near the end of fights. (when they are escaping)

Are you certain that's what's happening? I've noticed that if you destroy all the enemy ships while they still have some in reserve, it causes the battle to end. However, if they deploy a ship or two between when you destroy the last ship and when the battle actually ends, the ships that are deployed get away without you being able to do anything about it.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »

it goes something like "paragon is incoming" then "paragon has retreated" and then it ends

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »

it goes something like "paragon is incoming" then "paragon has retreated" and then it ends

Hm, that sucks. Well, I do know that choosing Attack, Hold Position, or Escape can affect which sides of the map you can use to escape... at least, I remember reading that somewhere and don't know where to find it again. I'm guessing the AI chose 'Defending' (or possibly 'Attacking')?

So, yah, seems like the AI deploys, decides it wants to retreat, finds the nearest edge it can use to retreat, sees that it's already in a position to do so, and gets away immediately. I can see some possible fixes, but I'm guessing the best one would be that a ship has to be fully on the map before it can turn around and burn to safety.

EDIT: Found what I was thinking of in the manual of all places. whodathunk. Not terribly important, especially seeing as Alex responded to your problem, but I'm including this anyway since I spent 30mins looking for it.

Goal: Attack
The fleet engages in an all-out attack. Penalty to starting fleet points to represent relative lack of organization. Retreating ships will move to the nearest edge of the map, and may be captured by the enemy after the battle if the battle is lost.
To win, the enemy fleet must be routed - this can either mean total destruction, or capturing all the objectives and then mopping up the enemy's deployed ships. Enemy ships will also retreat if damaged too badly.

Goal: Defend
The fleet is either holding ground or cautiously advancing on the enemy. Bonus to starting fleet points to reflect good organization. Retreating ships will move to the starting edge of the map, and are unlikely to be captured if the battle is lost, to represent an orderly retreat..
To win, the enemy fleet must be routed - this can either mean total destruction, or capturing all the objectives and then mopping up the enemy's deployed ships. Enemy ships will also retreat if damaged too badly.

Goal: Escape
The fleet is trying to disengage from the enemy. Retreating ships will move to the enemy edge of the map, and will never be captured. Ships remaining in reserve will always be captured if the enemy has ships in play when the battle is over.
To win, at least 25% of the fleet must successfully retreat.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:05:38 PM by naufrago »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »

I forget exactly what the cause of this was, but I'm pretty sure it's fixed for 0.52a :)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 05:49:17 AM »

I forget exactly what the cause of this was, but I'm pretty sure it's fixed for 0.52a :)

ROFL  this is BEST of Alex: 
I don't know what's causing it but it's fixed for next release.
PRICELESS
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »

PRICELESS

I must protest! What I meant by that is that, by the time a bug was brought to my attention, the code where it originated was greatly changed. The bug was fixed as a result of said change, but I had no idea of its original cause, not having the old code in front of me.

But, you know, the other interpretation is funnier, so carry on :)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:12:26 AM »

PRICELESS

My imagination picture Alex vigorously bashing his head on the keyboard, interpreting the results, nodding in approval, replacing the keyboard, repeat.

I had a good laugh.