Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.95a-RC9/10] Possible bug with Academy Missions  (Read 1243 times)

Europa Jupiter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.95a-RC9/10] Possible bug with Academy Missions
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:09:12 AM »

Good Evening (morning? ^^' ).

I am not sure if this is bug or not - however I do have reasons to believe it may be one. This lead me to make an account and post it. It is also a spoiler, so I will keep it hidden :D Sorry for inconvinience! ^^

Spoiler
So I was doing Academy missions untill Lady Provost herself decided to give me two objectives! To get some info (hacking story) and to find and bring back some Lady Scientist. I managed do both of those (side note - hacking Comm Rely was demanding so much patience from me that I decided to just blast those fleets around and then did it ^^ ). May be important - once I finished Hacker Story I visited Academy and only after that I went for Lady Scientist. Once both of missions were completed I was told in the Academy to return after week - and so I did. Well, I returned more like after three months, but who cares, right? RIGHT? :D Anyway, to the point - I returned, dialog fired as it surely should and I was given task of finding some super secretly secred TriTachion Labolatory Base somewhere in the sector... And here is where problem starts!

Firstly, once I was done talking to Provost Lady, red text showed up saying "somethingsomething null". That alone was bit strange for me and promped me to believing that it MAY be a bug.

Secondly, I do not see any quest in my intell that would be relating to this investigation - so far EVERY quest given by anybody was properly showed in Intell in some way. This one is not, which makes it strange for me.

So given those two reasons together I made decision to report it as possible bug.

Another thing that may be of importance here is that I started my current playthrough in version RC9 and then updated to version RC10.

Finnaly, I am sorry for taking your time and attention without reason if this is not a bug. As I said, I have valid reasons to suspect it may be one.

Thank you from advance
Europa
[close]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC9/10] Possible bug with Academy Missions
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 09:18:36 AM »

Thank you for the report! That does indeed sound like a bug. You don't happen to have a save from before returning and being given the mission that doesn't show up in your intel, like it should?

Europa Jupiter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 09:33:47 AM »

Wow... That was like super fast reaction good sir! :D

On topic - I am sorry but no. I do not have save from that point. And I regreat it greatly :( I do have however current save from AFTER that situation. Like... A lot of time after. Like... Forming colony and letting it grow from size 3 to 4 after. So a lot of time after. Does that help? Or not at all?

And since I am on this note, do I have to scrap this character and start new one? Or is there a way to get around issue?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »

Hmm, I don't think the current save would help, unfortunately. It *sounds* like the main quest in your save is bricked, which obviously isn't good. I'd love to know exactly how it happened, since that specific transition was tested a bunch of times. Maybe the delay in accepting it had something to do with it? I'll give that a shot. But, to answer your question, yeah, you might need to start a new character, unfortunately - my apologies!

Europa Jupiter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »

Allright! New character it is then! No big deal for me. This was learning expirience anyway :)

Thanks for such fast reaction (really impressive! I expected to get an answer in few hours or even tommorow). I think I will uninstall and install StarSector again. Better safe then sorry! Also, this time I will be wiser and will make saves for such occasions.

EDIT: Previous information and info in title is wrong though. This was update from RC8 to RC10, not 9-10 as originally I stated. Sorry for this mistake.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:54:13 AM by Europa Jupiter »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 09:55:19 AM »

Thank you for your understanding! And for keeping some saves handy, if it comes to that.

EDIT: Previous information and info in title is wrong though. This was update from RC8 to RC10, not 9-10 as originally I stated. Sorry for this mistake.

No worries, doesn't actually factor in in this case - though it'd good to know, since sometimes it would.

RVG_Seven

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 09:37:02 PM »

Thank you for the report! That does indeed sound like a bug. You don't happen to have a save from before returning and being given the mission that doesn't show up in your intel, like it should?

So i was looking for the same error and i actually did save just before going to start the mission, i have a few mods loaded in this save but if it helps i can provide it, it's in version RC6

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 09:40:00 PM »

Hi - yeah, I'd love to get my hands on the save, thank you!

fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com

RVG_Seven

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »

Great, i sent it. My save is probably borked aswell but if it can help you guys fix it then no worries

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 01:24:28 PM »

Thank you for the save! Had a look and it seems like this is likely to somehow be a modded issue - basically, a couple of global variables that get set as a result of you encountering and defeating the Ziggurat and then serve as triggers to have you skip the "Project Ziggurat" mission and go straight into "At The Gates" seem to not be there. But the Ziggurat has been destroyed and the fleet that has it does not exist, so the "Project Ziggurat" mission also can't be created.

This could, perhaps, happen if console commands were used to despawn the Ziggurat. Or if a script removed that fleet for some reason. (If you have any thoughts on what might've happened there, I'd love to know for the future.)

Regardless, running these console commands:
RunCode Global.getSector().getMemoryWithoutUpdate().set("$defeatedZiggurat", true);
RunCode Global.getSector().getMemoryWithoutUpdate().set("$gaPZ_scannedZiggurat", true);   

Should get "At the Gates" to start when you next interact with the Galatia Academy.

RVG_Seven

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 09:11:07 AM »

*** now that you mention it i was having some issues with stuttering and i used a few clear commands that should have removed fleet bloat and that might have done it

csmartClear and cclearAllFleets from the clear commands mods

Thanks a lot for taking a look at it, you saved my campaign  ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 09:34:26 AM »

Nice! Also, good to know why it happened, so I don't have to be paranoid there was some weird sequence of events in vanilla that could cause it.

(You might want to bring it up in the relevant mod thread to make sure the author knows it's a potential main-quest-bricking issue!)

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 01:03:08 PM »

Hi, I was notified that my mod cleared the Ziggy fleet. I'll take a look - however, please note that ClearCommands technically is no longer needed, as the mods that caused fleet bloating issues in the first place were either fixed or did not move to the latest version.

Edit - if you have stuttering issues, it's probs something else. If you join the unofficial discord, we can probably help you there directly.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 01:11:52 PM by SirHartley »

RVG_Seven

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 09:32:34 PM »

Yeah i didn't know at the time i used the commands i had to manually add more RAM to my game if i wanted to play with mods and that was causing most of my stutter issues