Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Vass, Time-Manipulating mini "faction" (hotfix 31/12)  (Read 40240 times)

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] The Vass, Time-Manipulating mini "faction" (hotfix 31/12)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 04:44:03 AM »

Alright, so I've tested out the Vass ships in missions and they definitely have to stay close to each other and swarm the enemy.

They simply aren't strong enough to strike it out on their own.

The main weapons of each ship (except both cruiser-sized ships) are at the least, pretty lacklustre. I found it hard to get through the shield of even a Condor-Class Carrier with the Schiavona (even using the kinetic cannons and timestop), while the Makhaira has serious survivability problems. It's flux goes out of the window using the primary, and it merely brushes most ships and sparkles them clean instead of breaking them.

Mabye it needs an EMP effect or something. I mean, it's purple, so it's gotta hurt a bit more and do some disruption, right?

The Zhanmadao and Curtana are alright to say the most of them. The Zhanmadao deals the most damage out of all the Vass ships, solely due to the beams and missiles (the fast, frontal firing ones)

The main problem with the Vass is how much flux output they have at all times.

Zhanmadao's become evident that the flux build up monstrously quick and cannot be sustained through battle, while it is somewhat the 3rd most energy consuming ship.

Schiavona is the 2nd most flux consuming ship, and given the lacklustre survivability of all Vass ships, this becomes a problem. Alas, the ability is exceptionally handy with the thruster hullmod, just...make sure to activate the ability when you're NOT under imminent danger to ensure maximum survivability. As for the main gun? Needs a tad bit more damage for the enemy to really feel it. Not over 100+ more damage, 25 - 75+ more damage should be ok. Mabye even add 5 - 10 EMP damage for a very minute disabling effect, doesn't even have to arc, since the weapon's rounds split into three.

The most flux consuming ship however is a very dirty offender. The Makhaira dishes out little damage compared to it's flux consumption, as I have tried multiple times in attempting to hit all of it's shots, only to find I have overloaded (even with max caps) because the flux builds up so dangerously quickly and the ships under attack have barely taken enough damage for the gun to be a threat.

Not to forget that the armor/hulls of the ships cannot afford to take hits, but these are very high tech ships, so I guess they've got an excuse for fragile armor/hulls.

As for the alternate versions, take as much time as you need. We can wait (albeit I do not know how long. Just don't make the ships too powerful, haha).
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 03:50:28 PM »

I downloaded and enabled this mod mainly because I am still fascinated by the time-stopping nature of Periodic Breaker and had to mod an altered super version of it on-board my most used super-ship to see how that ship-system works. Had to have altered standalone copy of it so the cooldown is low and duration longer so I could test it with my kind of fun while leaving the ships that use the original version.. use the original version so the original and the altered/edited version remain two separate things to make things in my favor, as usual.

I gotta say; the amount of carnage I can inflict now on the Templars is especially satisfyingly brutal with that Periodic Breaker as they stand no chance to phase through or avoid my initial attack at their square faces as by the time their defenses kick in the other few dozen of my shots at them nuke them into glass puddle or in many shreds of bits and pieces. Awesome. 8)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:55:25 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 10:20:10 PM »

Awesome mod!

Lesolan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 07:57:01 AM »

Are we going to see a 0.9 update?

If so, I can't wait! :D

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 01:21:08 PM »

Are we going to see a 0.9 update?

If so, I can't wait! :D
I'll stick to a "maybe" on that one. On one hand: I quite like parts of the mod, and would like to get it up to 0.9. I can also think of a lot of cool things to implement for them with 0.9's new campaign mechanics, so I could make them more of a proper "special stuff faction" that they were original intended to be.

On the other hand, it would eat time I don't really have, and would require new sprites I lack the ability to create (though I do have a plan for those in the works). There's a lot of stuff that would simply end up better being re-made from scratch (though luckily most of the scripts should still work), both conceptually and balance-wise.

Depending on how my schedule looks in the next months, I might make a proof-of-concept 0.9 version with 1 or 2 fairly polished ships (the Schiavona would definitely be one of them), and see how hard/easy/fun that is to create and play.

ASSIMKO

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] The Vass, Time-Manipulating mini "faction"
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »

And the version ¨vass 0.9 ???? ¨

Eshir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2022, 05:00:18 PM »

update please! the 9.1 git hub is here https://github.com/Nicke535/the-vass-public but its only for 9.1
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 05:06:41 PM by Eshir »
Pages: 1 [2]