Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Star System Transportation Mechanics  (Read 9175 times)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Star System Transportation Mechanics
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »

So, I had a question. Does anyone (even Alex) know how travel is going to be handled outside of a star system? Will it be like a SPAZ system of travel, where there are defined "space lanes" of travel, so that in order to go from system A to system D, you have to go to systems B and C first. Or, will it be done in real time, where you can adjust your course will you are flying between stars, and maybe even be able to intercept other fleets? Has this even been decided yet?

Personally, I'd prefer the real time travel, but I can see where that would take a lot more development time.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Star System Transportation Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:21:34 AM »

It hasn't been 100% decided, but I'm leaning strongly towards the second option. As with most things, though, will have to see it in action to be sure it works well.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »

Or, will it be done in real time, where you can adjust your course will you are flying between stars, and maybe even be able to intercept other fleets? Has this even been decided yet?

Real time systems travel would allow real-time economy, transports and fleets that move around stuff and credits in real-time (it wouldn't be simulation of economy *inside* a simulation of spacefaring). I'd love that.

DukesOfDevon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »

I think some kind of 'node' system where the lines between systems are established is probably the most workable, but I like the idea of travel being in real time. Even if you're just watching your fleet move along one line, whilst your trade convoy moves along another, and your little mining groups work away... then suddenly one flashes up a warning... and your closest officer asks permission to engage...

Eyes glaze over... the sheer joy of the starfarer potential claims another life.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »

A node system where you can nevertheless watch fleets fly along spacelanes in realtime would be cool. Insystem-style flying would be sort of strange. And you can't intercept fleets at that speed and distance  :-\

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »

I woulden't prefer a "node system", but i'd rather use ship in-built warp drives for this purpose. Much better and mroe efficent. :)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:59:27 AM »

And you can't intercept fleets at that speed and distance  :-\
All you have to do is add in a little scifi *** to make it possible. Use the words "gravity" and "fluctuation" a lot and you can make anything sound plausible.

Eyes glaze over... the sheer joy of the starfarer potential claims another life.
Indeed.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »

And you can't intercept fleets at that speed and distance  :-\
All you have to do is add in a little scifi *** to make it possible. Use the words "gravity" and "fluctuation" a lot and you can make anything sound plausible.

Interdiction and jamming also are nice words for that too

CaptanSpudsy

• Lieutenant
  • Meanwhile, in Spudland.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 02:48:48 PM »

I like the idea of being able to see your fleet go through the space in-between systems. However, it would be nice to have a kind of fast-travel system as well. If anything, the only places you should be able to travel to are the locations you've discovered.

In short,
Spoiler
The Skyrim system of fast-travel
[close]

Spudsy
Mjolnir Cannons and Hepatitis in the large slots.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »

Hmm, I'd rather see that fast travel system come with risks. Such as increased chance of being waylaid or something. Just something to not turn it into a "instant teleport" button

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »

If we could turn up the speed to 100x we probably wouldn't need a fast travel. Technically, because its single player you could just have adjustable timescales and have the distance between systems be traveled only a bit faster than the distance in-system. Might have interesting effects if your time spent in a solar system over hours of gameplay took about the same "real time" as that trip to a few systems over.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 08:11:59 PM »

Boo at a node system! Real time all the way!

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 10:41:21 AM »

Realtime yes, but also node system. I want to watch many fleets under my command flying around. Maybe I'll be a trader.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »

Realtime yes, but also node system. I want to watch many fleets under my command flying around. Maybe I'll be a trader.

Fool! You will never match the Tri Tachyons in terms of trading power!!!

;D

DNAz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 07:41:21 PM »

1. Fast reliable space lanes that you can enter by interfacing with a orbiting space buoy
2. Your own drive that you need to wait for calculations but there is more freedom (and maybe a random chance of something bad happening?)
Pages: [1] 2