Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Lost Janus device upon solo ship 'death'  (Read 641 times)

porcupine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Lost Janus device upon solo ship 'death'
« on: November 26, 2022, 12:39:28 AM »

Ok, so I was far away from the core worlds.  I had settled a new colony (no real idea what I'm doing on that front), and accidentally scrapped the starport (mis-click, was broke, but rolled with it trying to avoid save scumming).

I wandered a bit too far out, fought the red planet, a few other odds and ends, and ended up drifting back to my colony sector with zero supplies, and zero fuel.

I had hoped maybe the free port would lead the colony to have supplies/fuel in its market (it did not), so with zero supplies, zero fuel, zero else in the sector, I stowed away all my ships except the crappiest one, and hovered over the planet intent on lasting long enough for the month to roll over, so I had credits to build industry, to rebuild the star-port, and hopefully find a way out.

That's when it hit, the ship I was on, with zero fuel/supplies finally had a fatal failure, and I got the dialogue about life pods, escaping, scraping together some new ships.  Long story short, made my way back out with some scrappy ships, fuel, etc. intent on getting my fleet re-started, only to discover I no longer had the Janus device (IE: couldn't jump to the gate in the adjacent system, the reason I had colonized this planet)....

I finally find my way there (the long way around), only to find that the Janus device isn't in my inventory on the station, it's not in storage, there's no wreck of the failed ship I can detect, etc.  I go to the adjacent sector anyway (where the gate is now in the middle of the sun?!  I swear there's no way I scanned it there previously!), and try to jump, but get the same error (having the full previous fleet, inventory, etc.

So ... is "dying" (aka loosing your last active ship) with the Janus device just the end of the game basically (I mean, unless someone wants to play end-game without gates?  Which sounds pretty unappealing to be honest).

FWIW, I'm playing a modded game with Nexerelin and Industrial Revolution, among a number of other faction and related mods, if that matters?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Janus device upon solo ship 'death'
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 07:33:00 AM »

(It probably doesn't matter that it's modded in this case, but the modded forum is still the right one, for clarity!)

Hmm, I'll take a look. In the meantime, you could give the Janus Device back with the console - AddItem janus,  think, would do it. You can also right-click on the Janus Device to "use" it which permanently gives you the ability to use gates w/o needing the device; the item is there mostly for flavor.

porcupine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 11:55:25 AM »

(It probably doesn't matter that it's modded in this case, but the modded forum is still the right one, for clarity!)

Hmm, I'll take a look. In the meantime, you could give the Janus Device back with the console - AddItem janus,  think, would do it. You can also right-click on the Janus Device to "use" it which permanently gives you the ability to use gates w/o needing the device; the item is there mostly for flavor.

Ah dang, I don't remember any text encouraging me to right click on the Janus Device (albeit, SS can be a bit of a book at times to read, so maybe I skimmed over it).  I did try to transfer it to my storage (but was denied)...

Thanks for the heads up, I'm really against console commands though, I might just start a new game (as this play-through was largely over, and I've half a mind to try to ironman a playthrough more strategically than I usually do).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 12:20:05 PM »

(Ah! The text is in the Janus Device tooltip, btw.)

porcupine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 04:14:27 PM »

(Ah! The text is in the Janus Device tooltip, btw.)

Ah, well that would explain how I missed it.  Should probably prompt the player to integrate the knowledge upon receipt, to avoid this (granted, since it's tied to the players fleet, probably makes sense that it always is with the player once obtained, and thus not able to be lost!)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 04:15:13 PM »

I just changed it so that you retain the Janus Device (and anything similar) when you respawn :)

porcupine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 06:51:57 PM »

I just changed it so that you retain the Janus Device (and anything similar) when you respawn :)

Nice, that probably makes the most sense out of any option :).