Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.95.1a-RC6] "cloud wake" cone when traveling through hyper space is backwards  (Read 819 times)

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

See attachment.  I'm pretty sure in prior versions the cone faced the other direction.

repro:
Go into hyperspace
Go fast in one direction
Get zapped by a storm so you go super fast through clouds

Notice that the cone is facing forwards instead of backwards.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

It's an intentional change so that it's consistent with all the other sources of "some kind of wavefront/impact pushes your fleet away" - coronas, pulsar beams, and slipstreams.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It doesn't *feel* consistent though, because all those other things are continual sources, while a hyperstorm strike is one and done, yet the faux-wake lasts for the duration of the speed boost.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Being pushed through the hyper storm cloud is different from slipstreams and beams in that in beams and streams you're moving through a medium that is also moving (and the medium is moving much faster than you can). In a hyperspace cloud it's not moving and you are so the wake is no longer relative to the direction that "friction" from the propulsive force is occurring. 

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It stands out when it should only subtly enhance. Bad.

Kriby

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I was used to the old wake cone so I thought this was strange the first time it happened. Then I thought about it, and I suppose the idea is that the hyperspace medium is pushing your fleet from behind and the cone you see is the pushing "stuff" that is gliding off around the back of your ships.

I think it makes sense if you think about it that way, but I also see how it comes off odd. I wonder what my own reaction would be if I had never seen the old style.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It doesn't *feel* consistent though, because all those other things are continual sources, while a hyperstorm strike is one and done, yet the faux-wake lasts for the duration of the speed boost.

I don't know it makes perfect sense to me...

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The thing that bugs me is that it's meant to demonstrate material blowing past you, but the graphic continues for a moment after exiting the storm or slipstream.  Say you're moving to the left, nominally the reason for the wake being shot out faster to the left is the local hyperspace storm or slip stream is moving faster to the left.  If you were in the frame of reference of said storm/stream it looks as if the fleet is moving to the right.  Which is fine.  But as soon as you hit a location where this is not true (non-storm/stream hyperspace), the wake should flip, as now the fleet is moving to the left relative to the medium.

Or to put it another way, there's no interaction between the wake and the background hyperspace medium.

We don't see any churn or slowing down or anything implying different speed mediums meeting between regions.  We don't see any ejecta from the storms except when a fleet is present.  How does "faster" moving hyperspace interact with "slower" moving hyperspace?

Not that I'm suggesting adding more graphics to storms and slipstreams, as the hyperspace map is probably busy enough as it is, but I'm not sure the wake makes all that much sense graphically given the lack of other interactions between borders of the different types of hyperspace phenomenon.

Perhaps hyperspace simply shouldn't have a wake at all since it's not necessarily obeying the laws of physics as we know them?