Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 106

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Neutrino Corp. (v. 1.86-RC3)  (Read 986381 times)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Neutrino Corp. (v. 1.6)
« Reply #330 on: April 10, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »

I've tried them as built ins, and really do kinda like it since the ai doesn't need to treat them as specially, but since that'll leave two ships without a system, I had devised a new one, but as usual the ai isn't exactly tweaked to effective use of it either.

Lightforger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 10, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »

Since the AI can't use the phase missile system now if you make it built in and have a fast missile rack type system it could let the AI use the missiles giving me a reason to have the Causality in my fleet if I'm not flying it.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »

It can only use it in the current cause of being almost hit by a missile, as it uses the flare ai,
A slight issue is that using fast missile racks would only work on that one weapon as the phase ships aren't missile centric.

A big issue I kinda wish I can retain is that ship system version uses a percentage of the flux capacity but the weapon version doesn't allow that.
This makes it harder to balance, because the flux will debilitate the Causality but is completely inconsequential on theEND,

I've created a low tech system which let's a ship tank with armor like the fortress shield, but it conflicts with the phase nature of the ships a bit, so more tinkering needed on that end.
I'm open to suggestions as well, so don't hold back lol

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »

I'd assumed they used slightly different systems - since, firepower that's decent for a frigate, is similarly inconsequential for a cruiser.

Hm.  I wonder... if the system generated hard flux and was usable while phased, how ridiculous would that be?  It'd certainly merit it being a ship system rather than a built-in weapon...
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 10, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »

Lemme give that a shot, as the base phasecloak has firing while cloaked disabled, but that may make the ship itself able to fight while phased ( a unique attribute worth having? or just blatant op? :P )

Edit: Did that, ships can fire anything and everything they want while phased, but phase missile system will still need an update if it's to be used while phased,

Edit2: On second test, it actually limited to beam weapons that can be fired, so that idea won't work :x meh
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:46:43 PM by FlashFrozen »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 10, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »

Normal weapons usable while phased is - in combination with the current zero upkeep phasing cloaks - indeed, blatantly overpowered.  Was why I was thinking of limiting that to the ship system; if it generates hard flux, that should work out okay-ish - you wouldn't be able to hide in phase & attack forever.

Also, I'd suggest considering giving their phase cloaks upkeeps - in particular, the AI doesn't know how to use an upkeep-less phase cloak, and will occasionally just randomly decloak when it really shouldn't (for example, when it's nearly dead and should just be running for the map edge.)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 10, 2013, 08:15:52 PM »

The csv option that controls whether it can allows the system to work while phased also allows the weapon to fire, so it's not selectable, so the idea doesn't work out without serious balancing

I wish I could adapt the ai to the niche capabilities, just cause I tend to favor uniqueness over usability, lol
This is what the in test ship system adaption looks like, not saying it will be implemented for sure, just a possibility of sorts.

- Gravity Plating -

Spoiler

[close]

Basically God mode for 6.5 seconds, no need for flux, 3 uses max.
might make it 2 uses, but the ai burns through them no matter what.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 10, 2013, 08:46:49 PM »

Hm... I think I'd prefer to keep the current system, and just... add something to it, to make it more than "just" a weapon.  So... phase missiles.  What might be a reasonable side effect of firing such a device?

Maybe firing shifts the ship slightly out of phase for a moment, granting a temporary 10% damage reduction?
Maybe firing it temporarily disrupts the phase drivers, increasing the cost to activate phase cloak (or outright disabling the phase cloak)?
Maybe the missiles send telemetry data back to the mothership, temporarily boosting weapon range as if they were sensor drones?

All of these, of course, would need custom AI - but with lazylib's range-finding methods, that shouldn't be impossible to put together...

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 11, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »

Frozen, what diabolical *** is "The Ring"

:o

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 11, 2013, 05:54:02 PM »

A secret weapon with a reload time of 7days.  ::)

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 11, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »

A secret weapon with a reload time of 7days.  ::)

Does it involve Worm holes, and Tachyon emissions?

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 20, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »

So yeah.... Finally finished the resprite of the NausicaƤ

From this,

to...

Spoiler
and just as a comparison,

[close]
For when you Realllly need to get that cargo from point A to B  ::)

Stats will also be tweaked.

Yeah... next up?.... Jackhammer?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:36:41 AM by FlashFrozen »

Teh_Wolf

• Commander
  • The whole ship just died
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 20, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »

A prefer the style of the old one, but I prefer the actual execution of the new one. Good sprite!
PHRASE OF THE WEEK
Quote from: Miggles
no

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 20, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »

I tried a variation of this with the style of split into two halves, but it just didn't look nice, I feel more satisfied with the new one since the first was fairly sloppy.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 20, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »

A prefer the style of the old one, but I prefer the actual execution of the new one. Good sprite!
i prefer old pne too, & dont forget Flash that "LONG" big ships have easier life cuz the AI got problem with the shooting & with your faction it would me a horror for the AI :D
-the ABOMINATION - in progress
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 106