Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 106

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Neutrino Corp. (v. 1.86-RC3)  (Read 986202 times)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Neutrino Corp. (v. 1.1)
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »

Actually, think of it as a large mounted turreted, dual pulsed beam cannon :D

but with the firing pattern of the mark 9 / heph auto gun / dual flak.

It's just that barrels/ recoil / alternating don't work with beam weapons, but say dual heavy blasters work, cause they aren't beams D:

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »

That's what it was called.  ;D
Couldn't remember if it was the Mark IV or the Mark IX, so I left it out. But yeah, that monster is a good example too.
It would need work, but if he cut up some of his ships armour plating, shrunk it down and messed around, he could get a weapon with parity to the rest of his ships.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »

*kinda likes the idea of a large repeating photon cannon if repeating lasers doesn't work out*

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2012, 01:24:41 AM »

I officially request the addition of the Neutrino Corp into Uomoz's Corvus :)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2012, 08:01:07 AM »

I officially allow such  :D

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2012, 08:16:44 AM »

Photon Cannons and Torpedos still seem pretty gimmicky to me with their travel speeds being so low that ships can easily miss their mark if they're drifting, say, due to strafing or encircling. That said, without shields up, Photon Cannons do incredible damage very quickly. Maybe it's because I'm shooting people with around 7 at once with the supercarrier. Also, would it hurt to increase the range of the Photon Cannons? The range of the projectile itself greatly exceeds that of the current range. I often start shooting at 2500-3000 range instead of the assumed 700 or so.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »

I officially allow such  :D
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2012, 08:34:07 AM »

@yoshi
I've found the ranges gimmicky on those subset of weapons since I believe the original missile nature extends its range far beyond normal, but the AI doesn't know that or else we'd be in a boatload of trouble ;)

it's a mix of pilum, annihilator and heavy blaster,

The torpedos are souped up annihilators so they aren't anything more than what they should be, I even think they are a bit faster,

Photons are at the same speed but since you can fire them off quickly, it's almost a spray and pray weapon, the little tracking they do have works pretty okay against fighters that don't move too much ;D

For the cost, I might justify a slight increase in tracking to make life easier, but more range is a nono, since then why would you want a big flux heavy, pulse laser/ heavy blaster without a drawback to a good range, good burst, and fairly flux efficient weapon.

@uomoz, wow, I never imagined using that icon like that, lmao.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2012, 09:10:41 AM »

Hrm, better tracking could fix the drifting issues. It's not so noticeable on slower ships like the supercarrier, but on smaller, faster ships like the Singularity or the...I think it's called the Hacksaw? The drift is pretty noticeable on those ships. Still having issues with the Singularity not wanting to attack, preferring to instead pewpew away with whatever weapons I put in the small turret.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2012, 10:14:06 AM »

Some simulations point that singularities with their fairly low turn rate ( for a frigate ) make it harder to point it's frontal weapon against circling frigates, but it does attack (although futilely cause of ai and photon cannon inaccuracy),

May I ask what you tend to fight against? Because if they tend to be large capitals with ITU it sometimes makes frigates try and stay out of their weapon range,
Another cause is that it's flux got pushed up really high that it can no longer fire off its more unwieldy cannons.

Edit: As a slightly op weapon choice, you can always swap in two pulsed beam cannons, but that's like the neutrino equivalent of an antimatter blaster
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:22:07 AM by FlashFrozen »

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2012, 05:08:41 AM »

After playing more with Neutrino, now that it's officially a part of Uomoz's Corvus, Singularities still seem to have issues with attacking their targets. Engaged an ASP fleet, the Singularity did move in to attempt to attack the Gigantophis but it never fired. After that ship was destroyed, it broke off to engage a Wolf (which oddly seemed to be missing most of it's weapons). I think it fired twice, both missing before my other ships swooped in and cleaned up. It followed and played tag with the Wolf for the entire fight after disengaging the Gigantophis. Maybe my Singularities are defective or something, being drones and all. Brb, getting partial refund.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2012, 05:15:22 AM »

After playing more with Neutrino, now that it's officially a part of Uomoz's Corvus, Singularities still seem to have issues with attacking their targets. Engaged an ASP fleet, the Singularity did move in to attempt to attack the Gigantophis but it never fired. After that ship was destroyed, it broke off to engage a Wolf (which oddly seemed to be missing most of it's weapons). I think it fired twice, both missing before my other ships swooped in and cleaned up. It followed and played tag with the Wolf for the entire fight after disengaging the Gigantophis. Maybe my Singularities are defective or something, being drones and all. Brb, getting partial refund.
I'm not sure if it's the fault of the ship or the fault of the AI. The AI can be pretty wonky if fighting alone, noticed it particularly with frigates.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2012, 05:17:11 AM »

Singularity's AI seemed to be forever trying to flank the Gigantophis, but even after getting behind it, it didn't try to attack, mainly because it turns so slowly that it was practically at right angles compared to the Gigantophis. Poor thing doesn't know what to do with itself.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »

I've tweaked it a bit more, took off the augmented engines, gave it auxil thrusters, and an itu,

it attacks more often now, but it'll still be somewhat a bad solo flanker I agree it doesn't seem to attack the capitals/cruisers very often in simulation but vs. frigates it seems okay.

I'll patch it later since it's just some minor things and I've upped the photon cannon tracking a bit. It's kinda weird seeing them curve, lol

Frigate ai is really conservative unless you give an engage order then they'll go rambo and probably die.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 106