Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 106

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Neutrino Corp. (v. 1.86-RC3)  (Read 989457 times)

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Neutrino Corp. (v. 1.86-RC3)
« Reply #1470 on: April 22, 2022, 09:35:29 PM »

The middle ground I'm aiming for is the style that is most satisfying for me, because I am the person spending hundreds of hours developing it.

You have to realise, though, that by taking over an existing mod, you'll have to deal with certain expectation based on that that mod has been for many years. You are, in fact, not the only person who spent many hours developing it. If this was your entirely original work, it'd be entirely up to you where to take style and aesthetics of the mod, but when you take over a faction with a longstanding history and change its aesthetics, you will have to deal with people not liking it cause they got attached to it.

You should also keep in mind the difference between style and aesthetics. You can very much retain the overall aesthetics of the original while moving it to a more vanilla-adjacent style. The new Banshee is a good example of that. It's very much an improvement on the original that retains the overall aesthetics. The same can't be said about the Lathe imho, which feels quite different from the original with the loss of her signature asymmetry. It is of course entirely your decision how to go about it, I just thought I would mention it.

Also, you're greebling your plating too much. More clean surfaces would help with selling this as Neutrino already.

well we can always just retrofit the old sprites to work with the new stuff

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 23, 2022, 02:36:39 AM »

The middle ground I'm aiming for is the style that is most satisfying for me, because I am the person spending hundreds of hours developing it.

You have to realise, though, that by taking over an existing mod, you'll have to deal with certain expectation based on that that mod has been for many years. You are, in fact, not the only person who spent many hours developing it. If this was your entirely original work, it'd be entirely up to you where to take style and aesthetics of the mod, but when you take over a faction with a longstanding history and change its aesthetics, you will have to deal with people not liking it cause they got attached to it.

You should also keep in mind the difference between style and aesthetics. You can very much retain the overall aesthetics of the original while moving it to a more vanilla-adjacent style. The new Banshee is a good example of that. It's very much an improvement on the original that retains the overall aesthetics. The same can't be said about the Lathe imho, which feels quite different from the original with the loss of her signature asymmetry. It is of course entirely your decision how to go about it, I just thought I would mention it.

Also, you're greebling your plating too much. More clean surfaces would help with selling this as Neutrino already.

opinion noted

Kaokasalis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 23, 2022, 05:36:56 AM »

Raw sprite

Though I overall prefer the older art which is mostly due to nostalgia goggles as you put it earlier since its easier to be fond of something you have flown with in-game than that which you have not, your designs are also very clean and looks pretty cool. The utilization of the blue-gray color rather than the more strictly gray color does bring it closer to the more vanilla blueish elements of the high tech style. I have to ask though since I am not sure, are you planning to forgo the iconic two white strips that were on some ships like the Banshee or Jackhammer?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 12:28:34 PM by Kaokasalis »

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 23, 2022, 07:58:43 AM »

Raw sprite

Though I overall prefer the older art which is mostly due to nostalgia goggles as you put it earlier since its easier to be fond of something you have flown with in-game than that which you have not, your designs are also very clean and looks pretty cool. The utilization of the blue-gray color rather than the more strictly gray color does it closer to the more vanilla blueish elements of the high tech style. I have to ask though since I am not sure, are you planning to forgo the iconic two white strips that were on some ships like the Banshee or Jackhammer?

While it would be a fairly simple to add some stripes, I don't think they add anything to the sprite at the moment. They made the old banshee more interesting but I decided it would be too much clutter to keep them. I might change my mind.

Seti

• Ensign
  • A friendly AI core
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 23, 2022, 09:45:44 AM »

so what im getting from all those sprites is that there will be new sprites, but would be nice to have an option to still have the old sprites, they looked nice, sleek
Can you help me buy some milk?

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 24, 2022, 08:08:31 AM »

so what im getting from all those sprites is that there will be new sprites, but would be nice to have an option to still have the old sprites, they looked nice, sleek

how do you suggest i make the option to have the old sprites

Seti

• Ensign
  • A friendly AI core
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 24, 2022, 08:16:56 AM »

Im not familiar with how starsector works internally, especially the internals of ship workings, but if its possible, just having a separate download for the old ship designs would be amazing, if its not possible then thats ok, as others have said, just having this mod back is great, I cant describe how much I liked that siege ship, the one thats just a giant cannon

ER137

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 24, 2022, 08:33:33 AM »

my opinion is: in normal market u could only find new ships, but if u want to get the old ships, go find the commander in the main planet of the corp to order one, or just make a special market that u can buy old ships/special items from it.

Seti

• Ensign
  • A friendly AI core
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 24, 2022, 08:36:17 AM »

my opinion is: in normal market u could only find new ships, but if u want to get the old ships, go find the commander in the main planet of the corp to order one, or just make a special market that u can buy old ships/special items from it.

Doesnt that sound a bit too much?
have sympathy for the poor modder already having to work so hard

jkuba1903

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 24, 2022, 12:00:33 PM »

can we just get mod working i dont care for new stuff. i appreciate ur work kind sir
useless overwise
thanks for any reply
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 12:08:29 PM by jkuba1903 »

Hatios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 24, 2022, 12:33:34 PM »

Yeah, since you already mentioned that any initial public version of the mod will have a very edited ship lineup, I think its better to just focus on that instead and looking at feedback after the release instead of trying to satisfy everyone and getting bogged down.

Kaokasalis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 24, 2022, 12:40:13 PM »

While it would be a fairly simple to add some stripes, I don't think they add anything to the sprite at the moment. They made the old banshee more interesting but I decided it would be too much clutter to keep them. I might change my mind.

I think they complimented the Neutrino color palette since the logo also made use of a white N. Another reason for why they could have the white strips could be as a form of distinguishing their ships further from the other high tech ones used by Tri-Tachyon since they broke off from each other. That is if the lore will remain the same.

Up to you though how you will do it.

ER137

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 25, 2022, 09:39:49 AM »

Doesnt that sound a bit too much?
have sympathy for the poor modder already having to work so hard
that's just an idea, i'm offering that, but how things would be depends on the modder who is working on this mod. I'm ok with both new and old ships, as people had said previously, having this mod back is really a good thing to me, i just can't wait anymore, but i have to, XD

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 29, 2022, 03:43:50 AM »

WIP

DrTechman42

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 29, 2022, 06:34:09 AM »

I'm very happy to see Unsung again. If it's not set it stone then I have a minor request. Please give the corners back. I'm feeling extreme aggression towards these rounded ones. Your word is the final one, but these are too... round.
Everything else (apart from the weird vent between the large mounts) is nice.
Thank you for your work, hope you are having fun while doing it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 106