Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: My opinion about the The character passive tree  (Read 1029 times)

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
My opinion about the The character passive tree
« on: December 27, 2021, 10:22:51 AM »

Originally, after hearing that 0.95 changed the character tree i was excited, however my excitement was gone when i realized that the Tree is now less impactful, and the things i didn't like about it stayed.
1-I hate that you have to take some irrelevant skills to get what you want, it doesn't make sense that i have to take some "frigate" skills to unlock "officer" ones, i highly recommend adopting a new character skill-tree philosophy, one that has more selections and each selection path is always centered around 1 specialization, (example: you can start with weapon damage skills and these will only focus on weapons and their damage until the end of their specialization sub-tree) i also prefer a wide selection of in-depth options (some with big downsides) as they can provoke thinking.
2-The bonuses from some elite upgrades are just a waste of story points, 1% ECM bonus for an elite upgrade on a capital ship with Gunnery Implants? just why...
3-Some skills are completely broken one some ships and useless on others (example: Ranged specialization on Paragons), i don't believe that having upgrades that allows few ships to break the balance of game and be useless on others is a good thing as it pushes you to focus on that 1 broken combination until you steam-roll the game.
4-The new tree is Less impactful overall, some skills punishes you for having bigger fleet (why?) isn't the whole point of progressing a camping run is to have a bigger and stronger fleet ? why should i feel punished for it ? i feel sad for the flux skill which is just a shadow of it's former self.
My advice:
I think the game needs a Bigger skill tree, one with less bonuses per skill and distributed across many selections, the tree should contain many sub trees where each one specializes in a specific thing and only that thing, and you can start progressing with each one at the very start of your camping, higher captain level (at least ~60) and game changing super skills that can be allocated at the very end of every sub-tree which improves something and weaken something else (example: increased damage at close range but reduces it at long range).
Note, i still didn't do a gameplay run for 0.95.1a and i know that some skills got changed/replaced, however i know that most of my concerns are still in the tree so i decided to write this post.
^^

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: My opinion about the The character passive tree
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 10:32:42 AM »

Huh? So you're giving feedback on something you didn't even try out, unless I got something very wrong. Because you're mentioning skills that don't exist anymore, the gripes you have right now also were greatly improved. For example you can now choose from many skills instead of just two, and so on.

Maybe try actually playing the new version?
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 10:49:43 AM »

4-The new tree is Less impactful overall, some skills punishes you for having bigger fleet (why?) isn't the whole point of progressing a camping run is to have a bigger and stronger fleet ? why should i feel punished for it ? i feel sad for the flux skill which is just a shadow of it's former self.
It's less about punishment for having a bigger fleet and more to stop fleetwide skills from scaling forever, while personal skills have a fixed impact, since they can only impact only your single ship, even if it's the best there is.

By the way, the 0.95.1 update dropped in the meantime and it changed skill tree a bit again. You may want to check it out.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 12:59:41 PM »

Well the good news is with 0.95.1 you can have as many rows of aptitudes as you want, so those branching trees are possible, provided someone puts in the work.