Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: If there are no speedruns, that makes the first one a world record by default  (Read 2477 times)

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Did you make this? I like it, its fun to watch.

However...

SS can't be a speedrun game. Primary reason : the terrain changes. Don't let it get you down, tho.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The same can be said about Minecraft, and yet there are people speedrunning it.
I like it, its fun to watch.
Is it? There aren't even any exploits to speed up the game, it's just lots and lots of travelling. It would have been exclusively travelling, in fact, if I realised earlier that you don't really need that many story points to make it through.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Holy heck SCC the pioneer actually did it. I was just talking with my buddy about speedruns couple of weeks ago and I thought "hey I wonder if there is even a single Starsector speedrun out there". Unfortunately I couldn't find anything so you can imagine my surprise when I saw this post.

And yeah I don't see how Starsector can't be a speedrun game. Sure the most optimal plays don't involve doing fun stuff and you'll be mostly looking at hyperspace and station menus but it can still be cool to watch someone do it really fast. There could also be different categories in the future since we all know too well, people have way too much free time.
(Still haven't seen the full vid tho, I'll get back once I finish it)
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Main questline doesn't really play much like the rest of the game, but a more completitionist run would be more like it. If you want red planet quest, Ziggurat, hypershunts or omega bounty done, you would have to fight at least 5 fights, though probably not much more. If you can get Ziggurat by just throwing bodies at it, then you can probably use it to roll over all other fights.
But I would much rather speedrun all IBBs or something.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile

Did you make this? I like it, its fun to watch.

However...

SS can't be a speed run game. Primary reason : the terrain changes. Don't let it get you down, tho.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there Ion, the games that have randomly generated outcomes that influence gameplay are one of if not thee most popular types to speed run.
in this case you saying this game cannot be speed ran because the terrain changes is wrong... ever heared of games like minecraft, the binding of issac, deadcells? those games have the terrain changing every time and they are perfect for speed running.
I for one think this game has a speed running future, all it takes is a bigger community and people who want to set a goal and accomplish that goal.
Example: AlphaCore%(getting an aplha core as fast as possible) Z@#$%^&t%(getting a !@#$%^&* as fast as possible) Million%(getting 1'000'000 credits as fast as you can).

Edit: i just now noticed this is an old post. my bad G.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 10:46:07 AM by LinWasTaken »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Edit: i just now noticed this is an old post. my bad G.
What, has someone beaten this run?