Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: addRandomWeapons  (Read 2408 times)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
addRandomWeapons
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »

not really a bug, since it technically works :P but this command really, really, -really- favors the large slot weapons. ive played several (in the  ~30 range, i restart alot due to endgame being....poor, plus ive emptied the stations maybe 2 times a game with same result.) games where all 3 convoys deliver using this command, and all 3 stations inevitably overflow with all large slot weapons and there's practically no selection for medium or small weapons beyond what they started with(they do get some, but its anemic compared to the large slot weapons).

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
Re: addRandomWeapons
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:31:58 AM »

not really a bug, since it technically works :P but this command really, really, -really- favors the large slot weapons. ive played several (in the  ~30 range, i restart alot due to endgame being....poor, plus ive emptied the stations maybe 2 times a game with same result.) games where all 3 convoys deliver using this command, and all 3 stations inevitably overflow with all large slot weapons and there's practically no selection for medium or small weapons beyond what they started with(they do get some, but its anemic compared to the large slot weapons).

I've noticed this as well in repeated campaigns, and it's a serious brake on my progress.

All of the Plasma Cannons and Cyclone Reapers in the universe aren't going to help me when my real problem is that I have a major shortage of light assault guns, light dual machine guns, small burst PD lasers and medium Harpoon pods. I cite these shortages as typical, and it's due to more than my play style making frequent use of these same weaps.

Precisely due to my interest in the lesser sizes of gunnery systems, I've noticed that they simply don't resupply as frequently as the truly huge items. I'd willingly exchange a stockpile of 20 Mjolnirs for, say, 60 small machine guns or 40 medium Salamander pods in the late game.

Yet all the while, numerous quantities of large-sized weaponry continue to pour in via supply convoys and fill the space stations from floor to ceiling. It's incredibly frustrating. I certainly don't want the supply of the biggest weaps to be completely shut off (a parallel but separate brake on my progress, lol), but more balance between these extremes is seriously needed and respectfully requested.

When I often have to nearly clean out a space station's stockpile of (frequent example) light mortars just to have something semi-useful to stuff into small slots which still deals HE damage, because more light assault guns haven't arrived in ages while high intensity lasers completely took their shelf space, something's amiss within the supply convoy system.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »

Hmm - I'll take a look. Itemization in general could definitely use some work - mainly, we've held off on it because it's a *lot* of work to do it well, and it'd be mostly throwaway work if done at this point.

I do want to say that convoys randomly pick a weapon to deliver out of all the weapons available. Large weapons aren't favored in the random rolls, but the first few convoys always deliver the same sets of weapons, which include some large ones.

I think it might be a matter of perception - you buy up the small stuff while the large stuff accumulates, and it seems like it's favored by the convoys, when it's actually not. That doesn't have much bearing on the actual issue, though :)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »

A small preference on smaller weapons would probably make more sense though, in a gameplay and "real life" perspective. Plus it would make those fully outfitted big-ships of yours all the more valuable if the weapons were even more difficult to replace

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »

I stripped my Tri-tach base to see what convoys are bringing.

It now has:

9 phase charge launchers

8 frag bombs

7 tachyon lances

7 pulse lasers

harpoon pods
   salamders
   LR PD lasers

mining lasers
   salamander pods

heavy burst lasers
   mining blasters
   guardian PD systems
   light mortars

2 arbalests

Unknown railguns because I bought most of them.

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions as to how random this is.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »

Side note: the convoys will also drop off any weapons they happened to loot along the way.