Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Suggestion: Fractal Software 2.0  (Read 4288 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Fractal Software 2.0
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2021, 07:45:44 PM »

Meanwhile most of those issues are from you guessed it. Bad computers / too many mods / poorly coded mods.

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2021, 07:48:33 PM »

<edit>and if it seems like you're being treated like a fool who has to back up everything they say, it's because we've been doing tech support long enough to not trust what people say. so many issues are caused by people who think they've done something, get challenged on it, and then realize they messed it up.</edit>

I'm not even HALF as frustrated with you, I promise.
... but... it's the principle of the matter!

You just sent me a (very friendly, very well-made) set of instructions on how to mod the game just to get it to..... work properly.  Not nosedive.
Because the product, as-shipped...

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »

is an incomplete product, since in development.  But more beta than alpha development now, although colony system is still pretty new all things considered...
I wasn't always a Judge...

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2021, 07:51:38 PM »

<edit>and if it seems like you're being treated like a fool who has to back up everything they say, it's because we've been doing tech support long enough to not trust what people say. so many issues are caused by people who think they've done something, get challenged on it, and then realize they messed it up.</edit>

I'm not even HALF as frustrated with you, I promise.
... but... it's the principle of the matter!

You just sent me a (very friendly, very well-made) set of instructions on how to mod the game just to get it to..... work properly.  Not nosedive.
What you are saying you have to mod stuff to run mods? The horror!

Also a side note, most of the time you don't even have to do this.

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2021, 08:04:33 PM »

Can we just pause here for a moment, and discuss Financial Success?

Systems like Steam WORK not because of the absurd cut they take, or their creepy algorithms, but because they are freakishly user-friendly.  As just about every OTHER game launcher/platform has shown us, it's not enough to just show off the product.  It's gotta install, uninstall, and modify with little-to-no thought.

Because Consumers.
We're modders and Players.
The Dev is NEVER going to make the kind of money that Anything 2.0 would require to get moving off of the likes of us.
Doesn't have to be predatory, but... digital keys, 11 hour playtimes, and impulse buys after seeing Markiplier play... these are where the floorboards start to creak.
Both of these things CAN happen at the same time!  Those filthy Casuals are also a disgustingly large portion of profits.

I've made sure to mention it several times, but ONE form of payment is the time and effort necessary to "Tech support thousands of players" on a volunteer basis.  Slave labor, basically  ^_^;;  It's one form of cost.

I'd muuuuccchhh rather see the game get the success and sales it deserves.
And even something as simple as the 'basic' modifications we're discussing here are enough to take a fat, wet bite out of that profit margin.
... For no reason more than lack of time/money/commitment.

Maybe Starsector will get to version 1.3 or so, and then go quietly into the night.

I think that would be a shame.
But rather than just grumble, it seemed like getting down to the rusty issues might be a better use of time.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2021, 08:08:05 PM »

You say all that, while modding SS as a normal end user (and mod maker) is far easier than most games. Meanwhile, Steamworkshop would be an unmitigated disaster making so many problems far worse.

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2021, 08:11:00 PM »

If there was a time... a Golden Age... where these things weren't necessary to make Starsector run smoothly?  Smoothly enough to convince somebody to reach into their pocket and swipe their debit card in frightening numbers?  I just haven't seen it.

Maybe that magical day is just around the corner, wheels are already in motion, and Starsector v.97.12u has everything allllll squared away.
In that case... please feel free to disregard.

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2021, 08:15:29 PM »

No, because Starsector was never about that.

I mean... I guess so?  He charges money for the game, so... this is more of a negotiation on price and venue, and less of a moral discussion.  >_>  We're not casting stones, hun.  We're haggling.

I use the general rule of "Does it work, does it make you happy, and can you do it without killing others?" as my litmus test for success.  So, again... if "...It just works!" (F@CK you Todd Howard) and is the financial success that the Dev always hoped for... then that's definitely above my pay grade, and another product will EVENTUALLY fill in the gap.  I can only hope they'll have the same character, morals, and dedication that this Dev has.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2021, 08:16:02 PM »

If there was a time... a Golden Age... where these things weren't necessary to make Starsector run smoothly?  Smoothly enough to convince somebody to reach into their pocket and swipe their debit card in frightening numbers?  I just haven't seen it.

Maybe that magical day is just around the corner, wheels are already in motion, and Starsector v.97.12u has everything allllll squared away.
In that case... please feel free to disregard.
Great more shitpoasts. This entire thread is one giant shitpoast, and quite frankly you are tiring. Believe whatever you want to believe, it changes nothing. Not much more I can say, appeal to authority is a bad argument. But I don't have time to actually get down in the nitty gritty because your giant list of fragmented points. So enjoy I guess.

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2021, 08:28:15 PM »

Great more shitpoasts. This entire thread is one giant shitpoast, and quite frankly you are tiring. Believe whatever you want to believe, it changes nothing. Not much more I can say, appeal to authority is a bad argument. But I don't have time to actually get down in the nitty gritty because your giant list of fragmented points. So enjoy I guess.

All of those prying, personal questions and internet demands to justify my competency before even considering a word coming out of my mouth...

... and you didn't even stay to snuggle.  I'm offended!  Wounded, even.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2021, 08:33:08 PM »

I knew from the first post that your competency level was below zero if that makes you feel any better. The questions were trying to help you, not my fault you ignored most of the points and queries of several people.

Enjoy your *** thread.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2021, 08:52:04 PM »

This thread's been going in circles and doesn't seem like it's going to end up anywhere productive, so I'm going to lock it before it gets too much more out of hand.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]