Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Suggestion: Fractal Software 2.0  (Read 4286 times)

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Fractal Software 2.0
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2021, 07:03:26 PM »

There are so many points here, that I simply cannot make time to reply to them all or even really the vast majority of them especially when in a ramble format across multiple posts like that.

But what I will do is address the elephant in the room and ask you two simple questions. What are your system specs, and what is your mod list? I have a feeling knowing that info would be quite enlightening.

**sighs**  Really?
Do we really NOT see dozens of posts of folks posting blazing fast computers, and perfectly reasonable mod specs?
Do we not look at the CPU monitoring and RAM allocation and see it charted at 30% (until it hits a memory leak!)?
... and that's it not utilizing the resources it's got!

...but...
.....this is the internet.....

*deeper sigh**

I've got Starsector on the same drive I run Roguetech on.  So that's a 1TB Nand drive, so that's 7 gig a second read, and 5 gig a second writing.  And that's got a 48 gig page file.  Because... Roguetech.
32 gigs of DDR4  No clever clock speeds.  Nothing burned out.  I haven't licked the contacts in at least a week to try and make it go faster.  RAM should be good, da?
Config file to utilize 8 gigs.  Downloaded from the help links rather than modified myself.

And my whooole mod list, huh?
Using the Starsector Mod Manager to make sure everything stays up-to-date.
...none of this has anything to do with the most current version... because nothing that I've mentioned is a NEW problem...
BUT ANYWAYS!!  Nerd cred, I guess...?

An oddly uncomfortable link of my mod list.
....feels like somebody peeking through my window to make sure I'm what I say I am...

Any other credibility hoops I can jump through while we're at it?

OH!!  RIGHT.
Watercooled GTX2080, and an i7 at 3.7 GHz

Shoe size?  Credit record?  Social Security Card, and citizenship papers?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 07:09:28 PM by dgchessman2 »

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2021, 07:05:27 PM »

But it's Christmas, dammit!  **laughs**  Let me wish a little...

Just wish reasonably.  Think ponies, not unicorns...

**pouts**  But, but!!  I want a UNICORN, and I DON'T want to WAIT!
**takes a deep breath and gets ready to belt out my version of I Want It Now!**

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2021, 07:07:47 PM »

Yes really, I have provided technical support to *thousands* of players. More than anyone else besides Alex himself. And almost every time someone complains of such issues they are a living meme of a poor computer specs (which you still haven't listed) and / or using a hideous number of mods. Often times poorly coded mods that contain memory leaks themselves. If you are getting memory leaks, guess what that tells me? And it isn't java's fault.

Your opinions are based on false information, that is built upon a sample size that is multiple orders of magnitude smaller than mine.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2021, 07:12:38 PM »

But it's Christmas, dammit!  **laughs**  Let me wish a little...

Just wish reasonably.  Think ponies, not unicorns...

**pouts**  But, but!!  I want a UNICORN, and I DON'T want to WAIT!
**takes a deep breath and gets ready to belt out my version of I Want It Now!**

Perhaps you should have chosen your forum name to be Veruca Salt... but at least you're being a good sport about this (if a little long-winded), some peeps just melt down after they get a little criticism on this forum.  Not saying they are special snowflakes or anything, but sort of amazing how bent out of shape people get over the internet... I dunno, maybe thin skin is hereditary.
I wasn't always a Judge...

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2021, 07:13:05 PM »

Yes really, I have provided technical support to *thousands* of players. More than anyone else besides Alex himself. And almost every time someone complains of such issues they are a living meme of a poor computer specs (which you still haven't listed) and / or using a hideous number of mods. Often times poorly coded mods that contain memory leaks themselves. If you are getting memory leaks, guess what that tells me? And it isn't java's fault.

Your opinions are based on false information, that is built upon a sample size that is multiple orders of magnitude smaller than mine.

Need to check my chipset?  Bus speeds?  If I have Lasso prioritizing processors correctly?  My temperature control monitoring?
Maybe my processor has come unglued from my power supply.

......... to be clear, that was a joke.
Don't use glue when you can use wood screws, amiright?

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2021, 07:16:11 PM »

Perhaps you should have chosen your forum name to be Veruca Salt... but at least you're being a good sport about this (if a little long-winded), some peeps just melt down after they get a little criticism on this forum.  Not saying they are special snowflakes or anything, but sort of amazing how bent out of shape people get over the internet... I dunno, maybe thin skin is hereditary.

Well, I do appreciate you attending my TED Talk
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 07:18:59 PM by dgchessman2 »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2021, 07:18:16 PM »

Need to check my chipset?  Bus speeds?  If I have Lasso prioritizing processors correctly?  My temperature control monitoring?
Maybe my processor has come unglued from my power supply.

......... to be clear, that was a joke.
Don't use glue when you can use wood screws, amiright?
If you want to be taken seriously? Stop shitpoasting.

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2021, 07:24:54 PM »

If you want to be taken seriously? Stop shitpoasting.

Sorry, but I don't know any other way except to fall back on the coping mechanism of morbid humor.
'Cause I Google 'Starsector Idle Spike', and I get posts from 2014, and 2015, and 2016, and...

But by all means, if burying my humor behind a mask of tears will get folks to take the issue SERIOUSLY, then that's a bullet I'm willing to bite.
I never got the whole 'crying on demand' thing down, but I'm willing to tear up a bit if it helps.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2021, 07:28:10 PM »

I hope you realize that is a very small sample size right? Meanwhile you are still using a mod list that contains some poorly coded mod(s) that leak memory.

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2021, 07:28:51 PM »

Did you skip over my post where I proposed a solution, using JRE 8? You didn't mention if you're using that or not.

I also made a performance survey a while ago to try and get some more objective data, if you would like to see: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Tc6hb0nW3AGoxG1cUQPJITwN_SobJphdiYeGxPACwtc/viewanalytics. One of the questions is about framerate.
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »

Did you skip over my post where I proposed a solution, using JRE 8? You didn't mention if you're using that or not.
I also made a performance survey a while ago to try and get some more objective data, if you would like to see: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Tc6hb0nW3AGoxG1cUQPJITwN_SobJphdiYeGxPACwtc/viewanalytics. One of the questions is about framerate.

Apologies.

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2021, 07:35:45 PM »

I hope you realize that is a very small sample size right? Meanwhile you are still using a mod list that contains some poorly coded mod(s) that leak memory.

Did you happen to have a handy-dandy list of 'These mods leak memory'...?  If you've got a laminate, that would be even better.  All I can really use is the sticky from the Dev to go off of.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2021, 07:36:29 PM »

Did you happen to have a handy-dandy list of 'These mods leak memory'...?  If you've got a laminate, that would be even better.  All I can really use is the sticky from the Dev to go off of.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0
No one does, it is actually quite difficult to pin down. Also why do you keep chain posting? You can quote multiple times in a post :)

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2021, 07:38:41 PM »

Apologies.

That's the version of Java for your system. Starsector includes its own version and uses that, not the system version.

Here, I'll just post the guide.

- (72 MB .zip) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CGRtnv5hIGCtcdlvZXFO0F58VXqYUo6x/view?usp=sharing
    - (48 MB .7z) https://drive.google.com/file/d/155Lk0ml9AUGp5NwtTZGpdu7e7Ehdyeth/view?usp=sharing

<edit>and if it seems like you're being treated like a fool who has to back up everything they say, it's because we've been doing tech support long enough to not trust what people say. so many issues are caused by people who think they've done something, get challenged on it, and then realize they messed it up.</edit>

« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 07:40:29 PM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

dgchessman2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2021, 07:42:36 PM »

I hope you realize that is a very small sample size right?

**sighs**  Yes, I realize that's a very small sample size.

...so here's 11 pages of posts off this forum.

Why am I chain posting?
Frustration, if I had to guess.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4