Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: [0.97a] Everybody Loves KoC  (Read 177705 times)

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Everybody Loves KoC
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2022, 07:01:17 AM »

Angry periphery is targeted more for the people who don't want or know how to change those values. The extra planets are to give them some extra oomph, because a one planet faction declaring hostilities against the Hegemony feels a bit silly.

Thanks!

I was going to make them compatible with Nexerelin by following the advice you gave on the PPP thread. Presumably this would be enough?-

"Copy the Hegemony.json (data/config/exerelinFactionConfig) and change the id. to 'KoC', tweak other values to preference (Use TriTachyon for Mbaye-Gogle)
Add KoC to data/config/exerelinFactionConfig/mod_factions.csv"

Do you have any suggestions for what tweaks should be made to the default Nexerelin config for Heg/TT to make them more suitable for KoC/MG? I was thinking that in Nex they should be more passive than the main factions. I disable Nex invasions so they shouldn't be able to do anything stupid in my game that makes them lose their homeworlds.

Thanks for the work you put into this mod. I really appreciate that you made it feel like it could fit seamlessly into vanilla. My only complaint is that it made me want seperate factions for all the other Independent planets lol.

EDIT: I'd suggest that you place the edited .faction and nexerelin files into an 'optional' folder for future releases so that users have the option, if they want it.

I'm guessing that should be enough, I haven't really looked in to Nex integration. But you sound like you got the right idea for the personality, Heg/TT but more passive.

If you get it up and running, don't be afraid to send me a copy of the files and I'll pop it in the main release.

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2022, 07:03:37 AM »

??? I can't seem to find what you are referring to.
"+Ko 1.03.39a\data\world\factions" only has "default_ship_roles.json", "Factions.csv", "KoC.Faction", and "maybeGoogle.Faction".
and none of them have a Known Weapons section at all.

If you open Koc.Faction and maybeGoogle.Faction there should be a section like this:

Code
	"knownWeapons":{
"tags":["base_bp", "lowtech_bp", "midline_bp", "missile_bp", "hightech_bp", "hegemony", "KoC",],
"weapons":[
"railgun",
"dualflak",
"heavymauler",
"hveldriver",
"gauss",
"mjolnir",
"breachpod",
"sabotpod",
"phasecl",
"locust",
"hurricane",
"xpulse",
"maiden",
"maidenpod",
"madmaiden",
"hephag",
"mark9",
"mininglaser",
"miningblaster",
"pdburst",
"heavyburst",
            "xpulse",
            "gravburst",
            "maiden",
            "maidenpod",
            "madmaiden",
            "atrops_pod",
            "flicker_pdl"
],
},

The entry you want to delete is:             "atrops_pod",

Alternatively replace them with the attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 07:10:21 AM by Great Wound »

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2022, 08:11:10 AM »

I'm guessing that should be enough, I haven't really looked in to Nex integration. But you sound like you got the right idea for the personality, Heg/TT but more passive.

If you get it up and running, don't be afraid to send me a copy of the files and I'll pop it in the main release.

Changing the alignments and diplomacyTraits should be relatively easy. Here is the reference material I'm using to understand what the Traits all mean (doesn't include the devious or lowprofile traits that TT has)-
https://imgur.com/FeKyfEY
https://bitbucket.org/Histidine/exerelin/src/master/data/config/exerelin/factionTraits.json

The bigger problem is that there are a lot of details in the Nex FactionConfig that need to be fine-tuned according to the specific faction to ensure full functionality in Nex. Copying the defaults for Heg/TT isn't going to be enough for many KoC mod users. This is particularly true when doing random sector generation, using faction-aligned custom starts, and with the Angry Periphery submod enabled. For example, the starting ships for faction-aligned player starts need to be switched over to KoC/MG hulls. The industrySeeds/bonusSeeds need to be altered according to what buildings you want on the homeworlds (and you've said that you'll be changing that in the next public version) and the unique buildings have to be added. It all needs to be balanced exactly for random sector generation, and I'm not sure how the Angry Periphery submod will affect random mode. At first glance it seems like when using KoC with Nex in random sector mode then it would be better if the Angry periphery submod is disabled (but commissions and hostilities are enabled).

I'm willing to share the .jsons that I make. It should be simple since I'm using the default sector without the Angry Periphery submod and I don't use faction-aligned starts. However it won't work for some other users, I'd be reluctant to impose my preferences onto other users, and for the official releases I'd prefer (if possible) that your own preferences take precedence. For this reason I'd encourage you to write the nex files yourself. It shouldn't take long to learn how to write the FactionConfig. The guide to the FactionConfig is here-
https://github.com/Histidine91/Nexerelin/wiki/FactionConfig
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 08:18:04 AM by vcuh666 »

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2022, 09:37:39 AM »

I'm willing to share the .jsons that I make. It should be simple since I'm using the default sector without the Angry Periphery submod and I don't use faction-aligned starts. However it won't work for some other users, I'd be reluctant to impose my preferences onto other users, and for the official releases I'd prefer (if possible) that your own preferences take precedence.

Whoa whoa whoa, who cares if it doesn't work for some other user?!? Make it your way. You're not imposing on anyone, we're not forcing people to play with my KoC! It's their choice, if they take issue they can tweak or delete it, or ideally give feedback which we may take on board and incorporate.

You know the intent is to fit in with vanilla, as long as you don't stray too far from that you'll be fine.

Ovid

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2022, 05:07:16 PM »

Alternatively replace them with the attached.

Thanks for pointing out the location, and attaching the files! I hadn't seen the KnownWeapons section before because I was lazy and for some reason Control+F can't find "known" or "weapon" in that file.

Replacing the files worked, and now .39a works just fine with the Callisto Ibrahim section of Content Unlocking Missions.
Also, fun fact, with the ore refinery conversation option from C.U.M., you can buy ores from Agreus, talk to Callisto to refine them, then sell the ores back to Agreus. quick little profit margin, and a path for small reputation bonuses assuming you pay your tariffs.

Thanks for the assistance Great Wound!

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2022, 05:21:02 PM »

You're not imposing on anyone, we're not forcing people to play with my KoC!

I've been able to keep a straight face so far while reading this thread...until this post just slayed me. Well played!

I was more worried about the fact that if you make the Nex files available for others to use as part of the official release, then you will be the one that has to repond to bugreports that were caused by my own screwups. But if you're just going to, like, make KoC jokes at everyone then I think it'll all work out fine in the end.

Anyway here's my first pass at the Nex files. They are two seperate folders in the zip file, the contents must be overwritten into either Nexerelin or KoC. There is also a text file that records all my edits and some concept information to explain my intentions. I made more changes to their personalities than expected, I'd appreciate it if you gave me some feedback! Note that I have only tested this at new game starts, I haven't playtested the balance in longer games. I will be testing it in a longer game very soon.

Here are what their diplomatic profiles look like at the start of a new game-

https://postlmg.cc/jL3zn9F5

https://postlmg.cc/mP0C89RW

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:23:29 PM by vcuh666 »

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2022, 08:26:17 AM »

I was more worried about the fact that if you make the Nex files available for others to use as part of the official release, then you will be the one that has to repond to bugreports that were caused by my own screwups. But if you're just going to, like, make KoC jokes at everyone then I think it'll all work out fine in the end.

Anyway here's my first pass at the Nex files. They are two seperate folders in the zip file, the contents must be overwritten into either Nexerelin or KoC. There is also a text file that records all my edits and some concept information to explain my intentions. I made more changes to their personalities than expected, I'd appreciate it if you gave me some feedback! Note that I have only tested this at new game starts, I haven't playtested the balance in longer games. I will be testing it in a longer game very soon.

AWESOME! AND ADDED! Point of note, those Nexerelin files can go in the KoC.

As it is it looks pretty good, with Mbaye I'd add commerce/holosuite to their industry/bonus seeds. I love the fact that you made their rebel fleets "Runaway Indentured Servants", the idea of a bunch of people who went in to cryosleep for various reasons, got thawed out 100s of years later and forced into servitude, then stole a stole a ship and escaped into this new and chaotic sector to forge their destiny is almost a story in its own right.

Preview of the new Nomios
[close]

RoquetheRogue

• Commander
  • personal text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2022, 10:10:59 AM »

You're not imposing on anyone, we're not forcing people to play with my KoC!

I've been able to keep a straight face so far while reading this thread...until this post just slayed me. Well played!

Here are what their diplomatic profiles look like at the start of a new game-

https://postlmg.cc/jL3zn9F5

https://postlmg.cc/mP0C89RW

Oh, I like what you did there! and since they're not full factions that give out comissions, having low profile is good to preserve them in case any of the factions gets too greedy. Devious is a nice flavor.
A mind that opens itself to a new idea never returns to it's original size.

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2022, 03:12:47 PM »

Should there be any custom diplomacy settings between KoC and Mabye-Gogol to make them more/less peaceful to each other since they share a system? Are they rivals?

I also forgot about the Sindrians, should Mbaye-Gogol have friendly relations with them as is implied by the picture in the original post? Are they selling slaves volunteers to serve Philip? I think it'd be good fit for M-B since they don't currently have any friends other than TT.

The nex files are Ok as they are, but I made some very minor changes (gave them half the infantry morale effects of their parent faction, made Luddites hate KoC as much as Mbaye-Gogol, changed industry/bonusSeeds). Hopefully we can get it all finalised for the next official KoC release.

I'd also suggest some minor changes to the fleet names in the .faction files of the original mod as follows to develop the themes of each faction.

KoC, they are war profiteers-
Code

"smallTrader":"Profiteer Convoy",
"trade":"Profiteer Convoy",
"tradeLiner":"Contractor Convoy",

Mbaye-Gogol, bondsman is a polite name for indentured servant-
Code
		"tradeLiner":"Mbaye-Gogol Spaceline Flight",

"patrolSmall":"Naval Bondsman Patrol",
"patrolMedium":"Naval Bondsman Flotilla",
"patrolLarge":"Naval Bondsman Armada",

"spaceCommander":{"name":"Naval Overseer"},

"patrolCommander":{"name":"Bondsman-Captain"},
"fleetCommander":{"name":"Bondsman-Commander"},
"baseCommander":{"name":"Executive Overseer"},
"stationCommander":{"name":"Executive Overseer"},
"portmaster":{"name":"Port Overseer"},
"administrator":{"name":"Civilian Overseer"},

I love the fact that you made their rebel fleets "Runaway Indentured Servants", the idea of a bunch of people who went in to cryosleep for various reasons, got thawed out 100s of years later and forced into servitude, then stole a stole a ship and escaped into this new and chaotic sector to forge their destiny is almost a story in its own right.

The written faction lore was very helpful for imagining their personalities, they are both a different type of evil. The KoC is staffed by a mix of war profiteers and ex-Hegemony military veterans but without any of the oversight from civilian Hegemony nobility to hold them back. I like that it's ambiguous about who/what exactly the Mbaye-Gogol elite are, and is the Rogue AI a loser in an internal power struggle? The indentured servant stuff is a really strong theme for the faction and makes them stand out and be unique since we don't hear that about the other factions.

Oh, I like what you did there! and since they're not full factions that give out comissions, having low profile is good to preserve them in case any of the factions gets too greedy. Devious is a nice flavor.

They will give out commissions unless you don't use the custom .faction files. Mbaye-Gogol has phase ships so devious seemed very appropriate for them. Low Profile should keep them both alive for longer since they're both designed to get into protective alliances and the larger factions should be taking most of the hits.

I considered making them both pacifist but it might prevent them from using the irridentist trait to retake their homeworlds from invasion, if it comes to that.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:51:36 AM by vcuh666 »

RoquetheRogue

• Commander
  • personal text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2022, 04:00:08 PM »

KoC gave me quite a Atlas Corporation from borderlands vibe.

These designations made from vcuh666 looks really fancy, he gave it a 'good think'!  :D
A mind that opens itself to a new idea never returns to it's original size.

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2022, 04:31:17 PM »

I was assuming that Mbaye-Gogol crew are forced into indentured servitude contracts. For Mbaye-Gogol I was thinking of House Ordos from the Emperor: Battle for Dune games

Sneaky, ruthless post-humans who keep their underlings enslaved in permanent 'contracts'.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 04:55:03 PM by vcuh666 »

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2022, 05:52:40 PM »

Great Wound, since you made the 'Of Ludd and Lions' mod, would you consider similarly adding a unique hullmod to all KoC and M-B faction ships to make them more distinctive?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:02:05 PM by vcuh666 »

NoTalkofLowTech

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2022, 06:31:00 PM »

oooh, are we getting nex faction integration?

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2022, 08:18:10 PM »

oooh, are we getting nex faction integration?

Yes, there is an experimental file in an attachment to one of my previous posts, although it hasn't been playtested yet for gameplay balance. Hopefully it should be finished for the next official version of KoC.

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2022, 02:39:56 AM »

Ok, here's the latest version of the Nex files, put them into your KoC mod folder and overwrite but keep backups.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:52:00 AM by vcuh666 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15