Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: [0.96a] Everybody Loves KoC  (Read 173479 times)

Nyctophonik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Everybody Loves KoC
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2022, 09:47:15 AM »

I will say that the changes I suggested were made in the context of balancing for mostly vanilla. Smaller factions can afford to be more powerful and dense with development even in vanilla, too, just on account of their size.

Just realized you might not know, Shipbreaking will no longer be industry. Honestly I'm half tempted to remove it completely at this point, originally I removed refining and moved the Catalytic converter to KoC_breaking but CUM requires Tech-mining and refining to be placed on Argeus for certain features. The original idea was the KoC use shipbreaking instead of refining as source of metals. But since refining is now pretty much mandatory....
Ah. Makes sense.

The lack of orbital station on Argeus is deliberate, the in-universe reason being that the Hegemony are using Arcadia station Starfortress to police the system and both protect, and intimidate the Ko Combine. I imagine Argeus having its own stations is one of the 'red lines' the Hegemony drew when they sold the planet off. As for why MbG have a station, I put that down to Tri-Tachyon meddling, the Hegemony don't like it but there's a legal loop hole somewhere that permits an orbital station, and Tri-tachyon love it because it's one more trouble for the Heg.
I'm fine with Agreus not having a station. I still think Nomios might want an upgraded station

Not sure how critical Light Industry is to balance but if they need it for nex, slapping it in Angry Periphery is probably best.
The goods produced increase stability. While the industry itself is deeply unprofitable, producing your own goods makes it much harder to meddle with your faction while also guaranteeing your +2 Stability bonus from Domestic/Luxury Goods. In addition, the industry can flipped to being much more profitable on a free port, whre it produces drugs. It's one of the core industries so I'd highly recommend the factions use it, but you can easily get away without it if you really really want to (See: Outer Rim Alliance and Hazard Mining Corp. have no light industry)

Look interesting, the Angry periphery planets were designed description first, I've rolled in a couple of your changes. Might have to tweak the descriptions if we go too far off tangent:
I don't know your lore as well as you do, obviously, but I'll look this over and note anything that needs to be tweaked. I'd also note that we have VERY different styles of writing;
Descriptions from one of my star systems
  • Formerly known as Phola, New Rising was a production world pre-Collapse, and a member of the Aleph Network afterwards. The Aleph government grew highly interested in the caches of Domain-era technology on Phola, and their pacifist policies led to the dismantling of the planet's military installations. These efforts have been long-forgotten as the various factions in power since have completely reversed these policies.
  • Kinaria was an unassuming habitable planet, and was selected by the Eridani-Utopia Corporation for terraforming. On the path to becoming a lush, Earth-like world, operations were cut short by the Shatter and collapse of government. After stabilizing under the Aleph Network, attempts were made to decode and finish what the Corporation began. These projects have since all been halted or destroyed after the Hegemony annexed the planet many cycles ago.
  • Disconnected from the system but still conveniently close to a jump-point, Aprolys Harbour has maintained a large population as the seat of power in the Great Snake system ever since the station was constructed. The station was captured from the Hegemony by the Tri-Tachyon at the onset of the Second AI War. It continues to operate under their control, although both the Hegemony and the Aleph government-in-exile seek to potentially replace their rule.
[close]
Nergal Descriptions
  • Lugalirra - The Sindrian Diktat's first foray outside Askonia, Lugalirra serves as a stopgap measure for increasing piracy against goods headed towards Sindria by enterprising pirates based in Umbra and elsewhere targeting the Askonia system. Though abundant in common ore, its volatiles are miniscule and transplutonic ore deposits ho-hum. When not shoring up deficits in Askonia, the mining bureau makes a moderate profit supplying the neighboring Mbaye's orbital works.
  • Meslamtaea - A hub for Mbaye's questionable practice of speculative cryofreezing and commercial practices. Those looking to quickly turn their credits into more credits without the risks inherent in intersystem trading turn here. Of course, maintenance doesn't come by cheap and one bad investment may leave hopefuls thawed and penniless turning to the same piracy that dissuaded them from a trader's life.
  • Nergal observatory - Originally a research station, now, a military installation and ship manufactory, the Nergal observatory produces the civilian transports and starliners Mbaye are famed for. With the arrival of new neighbors, the orbital works begin to produce more warships as a check against any overly ambitious Diktat officers. //Okay so they ARE an observatory
[close]
Wurzle Descriptions
  • Knomoore - Commonly seen in propaganda advertising an honest days work(,) Knowmore is populated by the young and firery (fiery) beliving they can make it rich plundering the depths of Klendathu.
  • Harvester - The homestead of numerous independent mercenary units and those looking for a fight. When not contracted, many units participate in the bloody games that are broadcast across the local comm-net in a bid for glory and fame.
  • Scrumpy - Intend(ed) as an alternative site for the farm of the now famous Volturain (Volturnian) Lobster breeding program, the higher acidity of the planets water made the seas unsuitable for purpose. With environmental impacts now defunct(,) the planet was repurposed to fuel and ship production(,) and the seas became a convenient dumping ground for by-products and waste. //Then I think it's better for them to have Pollution and not too much else to increase hazard, just so that the Pollution condition stands out a bit more.
[close]
Lagan Descriptions
  • Cess - After reports of a virulent biohazard spreading across Cess(,) Tri-Tachyon quarantined the planet and poisoned the skies, killing the population. The objective was to prevent the spread of the biohazard throughout the system(,) while preserving the infrastructure which held significant monetarily (monetary) value to the corporation. When the collapse came the Luddic Path saw an opportunity and recolonised the planet believing their faith would protect them. //suggesting a rephrasing: During the Collapse, a radical sect of the Luddic Path recolonized the planet, blindly believing in the sacred power of their faith.
  • Flotsam/Jetsam - Flotsam and Jetsam were constructed as part of a kite-racing track following Lagans rings. When the sponsors pulled out due to the inherent violence in the system an anarcho-syndicalist commune took over and decided the best way of settling draws was with a sword throwing contest. Needless to say the fans were mad and in a bloody take over turned to a life of crime to fuel their belt-racing obsession. //Having both Flotsam/Jetsam feels redundant. Maybe they could be a single market, kind of like how Culann & it's Starforge are technically two separate entitres but are listed under the same market. Attaching code file below.
  • Ligan - A colony of the slave variety (A brutal slave colony). Originally a penal colony, when the inmates took over the guards were put to work (a prisoner revolt led to the guards and citizens being put to forced labour). Any attempts to bring order to this place have been met with fierce discord and violence by the vying rabbles who have carved out their own special places in this hell.
[close]

Thanks for the version! I'll look at it in a bit.

Lagan system
Code
{
"starSystem":"lagan",
"markets":[
{
"entities":["lido_moon_1"],
"faction":"luddic_path",
"size":4,
"startingConditions":[
"population_4",
"closed_immigration",
"toxic_atmosphere", //you could stack this with Irradiated if you feel extra brutal ;) I also have no idea if you could code this but putting in Unknown Skies' Military Virus would be perfect
"poor_light",
"water_surface",
#"inimical_biosphere", //wait why would they have this condition everything's dead
"ruins_widespread",
],

"industries":[
"population",
"megaport",
"heavybatteries",
"militarybase",
"aquaculture",
"orbitalstation",
],

},

{
"entities":["lagan_planet_2"],
"faction":"pirates",
"size":4,
"freePort":true,
"population_4",
"no_atmosphere",
"ore_moderate", //just a suggestion on how to change this up, to make the planet more unique
"rare_ore_rich", //just a suggestion on how to change this up, to make the planet more unique
"vice_demand",
],

"population",
"spaceport",
"mining",
"refining",
"patrolhq",
"grounddefenses",
],

},

{
"entities":["jetsam_pirate_station", "flotsam_pirate_station"], //collapsing these two into a stronghold
"faction":"pirates",
"size":5, //or 4
"freePort":true,
"population_5", //or 4
"organized_crime",
                                "poor_light"
],
"population",
"megaport", //racing track after all, also makes sure stability is preserved despite the commerce + freeport
                                "waystation", //racing track after all, also makes sure stability is preserved despite the commerce + freeport
"orbitalstation", //could easily be upgraded
"heavybatteries",
"patrolhq",
"lightindustry",
                                "fuelprod",
                                "commerce"
],
},
],
}
[close]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 09:56:47 AM by Nyctophonik »

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2022, 06:57:23 PM »

How soon do you think that you will release the next official version, and is there any more content that hasn't already been discussed here?

Nyct also seems more experienced than me, you should ask him for his finalised nex files and then compare and decide which ones you like best.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 06:59:00 PM by vcuh666 »

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2022, 04:19:36 AM »

How soon do you think that you will release the next official version, and is there any more content that hasn't already been discussed here?

I'm happy to call it:

1.03.39 ###this planet ain't big enough for the three of us edition###
 - Geist - Reduced flux capacity (9000 -> 8000)
 - Geist - Reduced flux dissip. (1000 -> 800)
 - Geist - Increased phase cost (0.05 -> 0.06)
 - Geist - Reduced ordinance points (145 -> 135)
 - Buffalo C - Small Missile changed to Universal
 - KoC Fleet Doctrine tweaks
 - MBG Fleet Doctrine tweaks

- KoC/Mbaye now offer commissions in vanilla
 - KoC/Mbaye now engage in hostilities in vanilla
 - MOD INTERGRATION - added commissioned crews intergration
 - MOD INTERGRATION - nex mining - thanks ctunks
 - MOD INTERGRATION - nex profiles - thanks vcuh666/Nyctophonik

- Bigger and better:
     - Nomios increased to size 5 (+2 ind.) - Industries Rejiggered, added station
     - Argeus increaed to size 6 (+1 ind.) - Industries Rejiggered
         - Restored techmining and refining to Arcadia
         - KoC_Breaking heavily nerfed and no longer an industry
     - Arcadia increaed to size 5 (+1 ind.) - Industries Rejiggered, upgraded to starfortress

- Added story/lore hook to Callisto
 - New artwork for mad maiden launchers
 - Shrike colour tweaks
 - FIX: Removed atropos_pod reference

Quote from: vcuh666
Nyct also seems more experienced than me, you should ask him for his finalised nex files and then compare and decide which ones you like best.
I've used yours. I'm not above tweaking it in the future but you did a damn good job as is.

I've got the hooks so I'll probably focus on lore (and tweaks, always tweaking) next. How do you fancy being referred to as that Rogue AI core...

« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 04:43:20 AM by Great Wound »

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2022, 02:40:11 PM »

I'm using the Second Wave Options mod and it's supposed to add Ground Defences to planets that lack defences. For some reason it is adding them to Agreus when KoC is installed, even though it already has Heavy batteries. I would have assumed that Second Wave Options would apply the Ground Defences dynamically but I suspect that it has a hardcoded list of planets to add Ground Defences to. So it adds Ground Defences to Agreus even though it shouldn't. Second Wave Options probably doesn't take into account planet modifications made by other mods. Maybe GW you should talk to the author about this and try to convince him to get a fix? Not a big deal but it makes Agreus have twice the planetary defences that it should have. I solved it by removing the heavy batteries from the arcadia.json.

I'm really glad to see the latest version of KoC, thanks for it. Now I can play it for a proper game rather than throwaway test games.

The username for this account is just a semi-random series of letters and numbers. Literally just randomly bashing my fingers on the keyboard. It doesn't really mean anything because this is just a disposable account I made for posting in the KoC thread to pester you until you made it compatible with Nex. Then somehow you tricked me into doing it for you. So it's not something to name the Rogue AI after, although thanks for the offer, that's pretty cool.

Nyctophonik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2022, 02:41:53 PM »

Quote from: vcuh666
I've used yours. I'm not above tweaking it in the future but you did a damn good job as is.
I'm happy with vcuh's nex files, btw, I'm not planning on making my own. I still need to do some playtesting myself, let's see how things go with these two...

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2022, 07:24:05 AM »

KoC usually joins the Hegemony in alliance in my test games. For the first time I found KoC making a Diplomatic alliance with the Perseans, so it seems that the intended behaviour for KoC is actually working, the RNG actually does give a minority chance for non-Heg alliances. They got wrecked in a war with the Heg and had to ask for peace.

Note that this also means that the Heg will definitely not protect the KoC homeworld, so that starfortress on Citadel Arcadia isn't really useful to KoC. It also means that the Heg can casually exploit the lack of a defence station on Agreus.

It seems like KoC would learn their lesson and quickly build a defence station, but the game mechanics don't allow new NPC constructions.

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2022, 07:47:42 PM »

If we add the following to the nex configs then it will prevent the factions from colonising systems outside of their current ones. In my case it wasn't desirable behaviour to see them colonise systems in unexplored space. They will still colonize, but only inside systems that they already have a colony in.

Code
	"maxColonyDistance": 0,

The Arcadia system in my current game is an amazing chaotic mess right now since all the factions there are on opposing alliances, it's a great way to salvage free ships.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 07:49:49 PM by vcuh666 »

vcuh666

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2022, 03:17:23 AM »

Ko Combine allied with Sindria now lol.

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2022, 11:14:43 AM »

Thinking there can be some potential with KoC developing a Mark X Autocannon...

Definite potential:

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 02:46:31 PM by Great Wound »

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2022, 10:07:52 AM »

Opening the floor in a Mark X Autocannon.

Current incarnation is a Mark 9+1, functional but not that distinct.

Plans for a Rotary AC felt too close to the Storm needler.
And my coding skills aren't up to par for a double-tap Ultra AC (yes, I'm looking to battletech for inspiration)
Got plans for an LBX but its going to be tricky.

What would you like to see from a Mk.10???

bodeshmoun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2022, 02:03:42 PM »

There is a small mod compatibility issue between Everybody Loves KoC and Industrial.Evolution that increase the number of industry on Agreus to 5 :
Techmining and refining are present in vanilla.
Industrial.Evolution add a new industry Salvage Yards making the count to 3.
And ad you know Everybody Loves KoC add two more industries.
As a workaround, I think I will remove heavy industry, as I play with Industrial.Evolution and this industry seems the most redundant with Salvage Yards.

There is also a small mod compatibility issue between Angry Periphery and Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering (and maybe with Volkov Industrial Conglomerate) on the placement of the new systems :
The periphery system overlap the nikolaev system on the starmap, values in the New Map of the known Modiverse are not present currently, but there coordinates are quite close. Extract from their respective starmap.json :   
      "nikolaev":[-6800,-19200],
      "periphery":[-6000,-18500],
And the wurzle system is close to the empyrean system introduced by Volkov Industrial Conglomerate mod, even if they does not seems to overlap (I did not find starmap.json file in this mod and I do not know where to find precise coordinates).

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2022, 11:06:00 AM »

There is a small mod compatibility issue between Everybody Loves KoC and Industrial.Evolution that increase the number of industry on Agreus to 5 :
As a workaround, I think I will remove heavy industry, as I play with Industrial.Evolution and this industry seems the most redundant with Salvage Yards.

There is also a small mod compatibility issue between Angry Periphery and Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering (and maybe with Volkov Industrial Conglomerate) on the placement of the new systems :
The periphery system overlap the nikolaev system on the starmap, values in the New Map of the known Modiverse are not present currently, but there coordinates are quite close. Extract from their respective starmap.json :   
      "nikolaev":[-6800,-19200],
      "periphery":[-6000,-18500],
And the wurzle system is close to the empyrean system introduced by Volkov Industrial Conglomerate mod, even if they does not seems to overlap (I did not find starmap.json file in this mod and I do not know where to find precise coordinates).

Thanks.

I'm aware of the clash with Industrial Evolution. There' not much I can do with this one, I could switch off Salvage Yard on my end, but I have no idea how Hartles would take it. Have you tried dropping Hartles a message? The best solution is probably to set IE to autoremove Heavy Industry when detected on Arcadia. I don't have an issue with this.

Looks like someones recently cleared the map... I could shift the systems but without the modiverse map being I could quite easily end up on top of someone else. I'm more curious as to why it was wiped. Clearly not an outdated mods thing because my own were wiped off.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2022, 11:10:58 AM »

....I'm aware of the clash with Industrial Evolution. There' not much I can do with this one, I could switch off Salvage Yard on my end, but I have no idea how Hartles would take it. Have you tried dropping Hartles a message? The best solution is probably to set IE to autoremove Heavy Industry when detected on Arcadia. I don't have an issue with this.....
Hmm... I manually change Techmining into a structure rather than an Industry (which I think suits a temporary thing better) in both vanilla and 'Industrial Evolution'.
Did I accidentally avoid a conflict?  ???

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2022, 12:22:35 PM »

Did I accidentally avoid a conflict?  ???

It's not so much a conflict, more Agreus is blessed with an overabundance of industry.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2022, 12:32:27 PM »

Opening the floor in a Mark X Autocannon.

Current incarnation is a Mark 9+1, functional but not that distinct.

Plans for a Rotary AC felt too close to the Storm needler.
And my coding skills aren't up to par for a double-tap Ultra AC (yes, I'm looking to battletech for inspiration)
Got plans for an LBX but its going to be tricky.

What would you like to see from a Mk.10???

Mayby make it a using shells with emp.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14