Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can ships please stop flying into each other?  (Read 637 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Can ships please stop flying into each other?
« on: December 23, 2021, 02:37:51 PM »

Especially with stations, although I've seen it elsewhere, ships have a big problem of happily ramming themselves into other ships. And I don't mean the enemy, I mean they'll practically ignore that there's a friendly ship between them and where they want to be.

The last battle I had, I lost over half of my small ships, not to enemy fire, but due to merrily backing into a Star Fortress.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Can ships please stop flying into each other?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 02:45:56 PM »

Hmm - as per usual, AI feedback really benefits from specifics. Case in point: I just ran a quick battle with like 12 frigates ordered to "defend" a station (edit: a low tech Star Fortress) and there wasn't even a single bump while they were (unsuccessfully, I might add) trying to fight off something like the top row of the simulator ships. Since I don't know what you were doing, I have no idea which direction to adjust these parameters to try to see what you might be seeing, if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 02:50:14 PM by Alex »

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 03:34:56 PM »

Ah yes, I guess that makes sense.
The destroyers in question were assigned defend orders to the sides of the station. The enemy fleet surrounded them 3/4's of the way (leaving "back" open), and the destroyers tried to retreat into the sweeping arms of the station.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 05:03:50 PM »

On ships flying into each other, I've had several cases of a Fury and an Aurora ramming my player flagship (mod Sunder) in the butt with their ship systems active.
Is this just the 'big ship assumes small ship will get out of the way' thing?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 05:08:01 PM »

Ah yes, I guess that makes sense.
The destroyers in question were assigned defend orders to the sides of the station. The enemy fleet surrounded them 3/4's of the way (leaving "back" open), and the destroyers tried to retreat into the sweeping arms of the station.

Thank you - I'll take a look, but there's a sold chance there isn't too much I can do; when the ships are in a pretty stressed situation, something has to give sometimes...

Is this just the 'big ship assumes small ship will get out of the way' thing?

Yes, more than likely.

Supraluminal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 06:06:55 PM »

I have also been seeing a lot of bad driving lately. Tons of crowding/failure to give other friendly ships any room to maneuver, and quite a few easily-avoidable collisions too. No quantitative data to back it up, but it feels like the problem got quite a bit worse after the update to 0.95.1a.

I had one particularly memorable moment where my ship was completely boxed in by friendlies, in direct shield-to-shield contact with me and each other in a ring around me like a cluster of soap bubbles. It was incredibly frustrating. (This was just in the midst of a regular bounty fleet battle, no station, pursuit or other unusual conditions.)

I know there were also some changes in the update that were supposed to make smaller ships clear the firing lines of larger ships more actively, but I feel like this is just as bad as ever or maybe even worse. I've had plenty of instances of frigates/destroyers drifting directly between my (capital or cruiser-class) ship and my target when they had plenty of clear space to either stay off to one side or go around behind me.

All in all it makes me wonder if something got FUBARed in the pathfinding/navigation.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 12:45:09 AM »

Has anyone bothered to just use tactical screen to have ships attack multiple targets instead of just one at a time?  This of course excepts space stations (since 1 big target), but most battles seem to only get too crowded when too many ships have the same target.  I dunno, but never seem to really have this issue (although I generally run more than a few mods, I don't think any single one of them is affecting this behavior since most are utility mods, factions, and Nex).
I wasn't always a Judge...

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2021, 01:39:16 AM »

iv noticed that this problem is even more prevalent on modded ships. the AI seems to be ok with vanilla ships but when i give them a modded ship its like they initiate ramming procedures.