Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tips for Slipstream exits?  (Read 6267 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for Slipstream exits?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2021, 09:31:06 AM »

Honestly, and without any negativity intended - if you're finding that slipstreams make exploration unprofitable for you, that's got to be down to some fundamental misunderstandings (which, fair enough, the game should explain things so they're understood; I'm not saying this is your fault or anything). E.G. if you don't realize that you can just navigate across them by holding down LMB (with or without e-burn, but *definitely* with sustained burn turned off), then yes, they'd be major obstacles. But knowing that, they can be a slight speedbump if they're in the way, and a major help if they're even remotely going in the direction you want. With e-burn on, you're barely even going to be deflected from your course; without it'll be a slight detour.
No you can't. Any burdened or capital fleet slower than 8 base burn is mercilessly swept away for at least a screen further regardless of sustained/emergency/regular burn or mouse control, no safe crossing. Entering a star system bordered by a slipstream on one side and a few hyperspace storms on the top is a complete nightmare.

Fleet with max burn 7 and e-burn:

https://imgur.com/a/nMzAW1X

Narrower and faster sections are actually a bit easier to cross since the "fast" section is so narrow.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2021, 09:53:36 AM »

Does the terrain movement penalty reduction from Navigation have an impact here?

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2021, 09:58:29 AM »

Spoiler
Honestly, and without any negativity intended - if you're finding that slipstreams make exploration unprofitable for you, that's got to be down to some fundamental misunderstandings (which, fair enough, the game should explain things so they're understood; I'm not saying this is your fault or anything). E.G. if you don't realize that you can just navigate across them by holding down LMB (with or without e-burn, but *definitely* with sustained burn turned off), then yes, they'd be major obstacles. But knowing that, they can be a slight speedbump if they're in the way, and a major help if they're even remotely going in the direction you want. With e-burn on, you're barely even going to be deflected from your course; without it'll be a slight detour.
No you can't. Any burdened or capital fleet slower than 8 base burn is mercilessly swept away for at least a screen further regardless of sustained/emergency/regular burn or mouse control, no safe crossing. Entering a star system bordered by a slipstream on one side and a few hyperspace storms on the top is a complete nightmare.
[close]

Fleet with max burn 7 and e-burn:

https://imgur.com/a/nMzAW1X

Narrower and faster sections are actually a bit easier to cross since the "fast" section is so narrow.
Thanks for the clip, I was wrong about guessing burn 7, maybe, not sure, because that also seems a screen-wide drift to me, but I'm not gonna lie, I only tried crossing with 5 ships over-the-fleet-limit at burn 8 and narrow sections were near-impossible to get past instead of being easier.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2021, 10:14:43 AM »

Ahhh, if you're over the ship limit, I'd imagine there would be problems with almost any kind of movement; that's not a state you're meant to be in for any real length of time. And yeah, you'd have a very rough time trying to cross a slipstream like that, too!

Does the terrain movement penalty reduction from Navigation have an impact here?

Good question! It doesn't, but in that gif I made sure to spec out of Navigation just to have it 100% be a non-factor.
Pages: 1 2 [3]