Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Lion's Guard S-mod Solar Shielding  (Read 876 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Lion's Guard S-mod Solar Shielding
« on: December 21, 2021, 03:43:06 AM »

Every ship in Lion's Guard fleets should have Solar Shielding as an s-mod.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Lion's Guard S-mod Solar Shielding
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 03:53:35 AM »

Why?
Not saying I disagree, but as someone who's never paid attention to the Diktat, it seems kinda out of left field.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 04:05:31 PM »

Why?
Not saying I disagree, but as someone who's never paid attention to the Diktat, it seems kinda out of left field.

If you mouse over Solar Shielding to get tooltip, it says it was developed by Diktat basically because of how close Askonia is to sun.  Plus, would be easier than giving Diktat custom sprites (like Heg Legion XIV or TT custom ships).  And might make Diktat less likely to always eventually get rolled in a Nex game!
I wasn't always a Judge...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 04:23:11 PM »

Hmm, yeah.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 05:00:07 PM »

Hmm, yeah.
This is great!
Any plans to make S-Mods increase Fleet Points of ships?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 07:17:08 AM »

The Ship & Weapons mod already has this (Lion's Guard ships which have built-in Solar Shielding). It's a pretty good idea, and I think later on this may be a good way for the vanilla game to spice up the different ships and show each faction's uniqueness, where each faction has some elite variant of different ships with a relatively small but interesting hullmod built-in. An example might be a Tri-Tachyon Medusa with Accelerated Shields built-in. Such ships would not have blueprints (i.e. you can't just print your own), but would only be for sale in their military markets or spawned in their fleets, meaning that to get your hands on them you have to either commission with them or fight them.

And since I can already hear the inevitable complaints about how someone s-modded up their Medusa only to have it get obsoleted by a Tri-Tachyon Medusa, perhaps there will be some mechanism (from the bar for example, or from one of the admins on the colony personnel screen) to get your ship upgraded to the elite variant somehow.

This would give the different ships a lot more variation and showcase how the factions are different. At the expense of a slight power creep, it might also lead to more "interesting decisions" between different variants of ships, i.e. if it's better to use a ship from one faction for this free hullmod versus a ship from another faction for another free hullmod (or other bonus, such as XIV).

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 03:10:51 PM »

Having built in mods for ships by faction makes a lot of sense, especially if it's just a possibility.

For example, Hegemony has a chance of their ships being XIV, but also a chance of an S-mod of Heavy Amor, Armored Weapon Mounts, or similar (showing their general doctrine). 

Diktat would have a chance of Solar Shielding.

Luddic Path has a chance of Safety Overrides (perhaps the only way to get that as an S mod is to capture one of their ships, and perhaps ships with that built in get an automatic Ill Advised Modifications mod so you'll have to repair them to get it).  Perhaps there's a lower chance of recovery for Safety Overrides ships, so it takes luck to get one.

Tritac might have a chance of Advanced Optics or other high tech beam based s-mods.

Pirates... maybe Augmented Burn Drive or other speed mods, but it also comes with a few D-mods like Luddic Path?  Shielded Cargo Holds would make sense too.

Basically, this all makes the ships a lot more interesting where you can hope to capture a particularly good one, and it's also very fitting.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 12:46:38 AM by JaronK »