Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tips for Slipstream exits?  (Read 6340 times)

NetworkingGuru

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Tips for Slipstream exits?
« on: December 19, 2021, 12:14:55 PM »

I find these to be the most frustrating thing added to the game since I began playing; almost tempted to go back to an old rev just to avoid them. Nothing worse than being swept to the other side of the map because you can't exit it when you are on an exploration mission that already doesn't pay enough to cover the fuel to get there.

How in the world can I make this new feature work to my advantage?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for Slipstream exits?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 12:25:26 PM »

If you turn off sustained burn you can easily exit it anywhere you want - for crossing 'rapids' without getting dragged an emergency burn is needed, though if you don't want to you can go upstream a bit and cross normally (again turn off sustained burn). Sustained burn raises top speed but lowers acceleration, so you get pushed more easily by things like slipstreams, coronas, black holes, pulsars, storms.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 12:50:20 PM »

Sustained burn raises top speed but lowers acceleration, so you get pushed more easily by things like slipstreams, coronas, black holes, pulsars, storms.
I am adding this to the loading screen tips.

bob888w

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 02:37:26 PM »

It shows a bigger issue with slipstreams imo. To use them effectively use them you basically need to approach whatever is your target system at a diagonal angle and hope a slipstream exists. Add to that they don't help on the return trip and routes beings ever-changing and hard to predict. You end up with a cool system that unfortunately doesn't fit great with the current exploration loop.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 02:54:24 PM »

IIRC slipstreams change direction halfway through their lifecycle - I've seen it happen twice now while exploring where I took a stream out, did some systems, and then it turned around so I could ride it home. But when stumbling across a stream I have no idea how to tell if its in the first or second part of its cycle, so its not consistently useful!

For me I just go towards my target systems and if there happens to be a stream going nearby I take it. Not really planning around it - its nice when I catch one, slightly annoying when I need to cross one.

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 03:03:26 PM »

You can cross wide sections more easily than narrow sections. Use emergency burn, you'll push through far more rapidly. Always bring more supplies and fuel than you need. If for some reason you can't afford to do so, there are plenty of opportunities in the Core Worlds to make enough money to begin exploring with credits tucked away.

Outfit your fleet for your purpose. If you're just fulfilling "scan this object" missions, you can go with a lone Dram (or two, if you want to bring back a derelict). You don't need any cargo space if all you're looking for is blueprints, and barely any more if you're hauling back colony improvement items.

Try to accept and carry out multiple missions and bounties simultaneously to cover the overhead of traveling to the outer reaches with a larger fleet.

Remember, there are places in the Core Worlds you can store your fleet and items at no cost. Take advantage of it.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 03:21:44 PM »

You can also find a place where the slipstream narrows and just fly through it regularly - you'll only get dragged a little ways when you pass through the center. No Emergency Burn necessary!
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 04:23:30 PM »

I do find it interesting that the inspiration for slipstreams (putting aside e-burning through storms for speed boost breaking game design) are basically wind currents from the Age of Sail (and/or maybe something like it was in Sid Meier's Pirates!, played much more EV/EV Nova in my youth than Pirates!), but the implementation basically ended up being rivers from Oregon Trail.  Only difference is that sometimes you instead travel down the river instead of just being forced to cross it (well, that and no cholera...).  But yes, interesting how it is usually easier to cross the wider portions since they are "slower."
I wasn't always a Judge...

NetworkingGuru

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 10:14:57 AM »

If you turn off sustained burn you can easily exit it anywhere you want - for crossing 'rapids' without getting dragged an emergency burn is needed, though if you don't want to you can go upstream a bit and cross normally (again turn off sustained burn). Sustained burn raises top speed but lowers acceleration, so you get pushed more easily by things like slipstreams, coronas, black holes, pulsars, storms.

So, as far as I can figure, this doesn't work. I cut off sustained burn but leave the ships following the path to the destination, which is basically directly across the slipstream 'river'. I get washed down the river, and the ships never make any appreciable progress across the river. Very frustrating.

Secondarily, one suggestion is to have the 'rivers' visible in the map, at least once you've cleared the fog of war, so you can figure out how to best avoid them all together. For me, this new feature took a game a loved to a place where I'm considering shelving it. The long-distance travel mechanic was already frustrating due to how much RL time it takes, and this just ratchets the frustration up without actually providing any real incentives, like improved exploration rates or loot hauls.

EDIT: OK, it does work....sorta. For really thick 'rivers', the pressure is low enough that the ship can cross. But for thin, fast ones, you are just merciless, so you basically have to scout out the end so you can go around, and since it doesn't show on the map (tab), you have to do this over and over. Still more frustrating than anything in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 10:54:57 AM by NetworkingGuru »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 10:17:27 AM »

Like others have said, if you want to cross a thick band of slipstream emergency burn is the best tool. I had thought you had been talking about exiting the stream after riding it for a while (exit vs cross), where just turning off sustained burn is enough.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 10:29:23 AM »

You need to keep LMB held down while moving across the stream to get across it.

NetworkingGuru

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »

You need to keep LMB held down while moving across the stream to get across it.

OK. Is there any chance of getting streams to show on the big map? It sure would make going around them easier.

I'd honestly mod these out if I could, it's a level of micromanagement that I'd rather not deal with, saps the fun right out of it for me.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 12:08:31 PM »

OK. Is there any chance of getting streams to show on the big map? It sure would make going around them easier.

I was under the impression that once enough of the slipstream is explored (80ish%?), it will show up on the map.  Just most players won't have sufficient resources to explore enough of the average slipstreams until at least mid-game...

NetworkingGuru

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 12:51:21 PM »

I was under the impression that once enough of the slipstream is explored (80ish%?), it will show up on the map.  Just most players won't have sufficient resources to explore enough of the average slipstreams until at least mid-game...

Interesting. I've explored a very large portion of the map, but they still don't show up. That said, I updated the game and got this feature after already reaching 12 or 13th level, so that may have something to do with it (also explains my salt, because I went from being able to profitably explore to grinding my teeth).

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 12:56:11 PM »

Interesting. I've explored a very large portion of the map, but they still don't show up. That said, I updated the game and got this feature after already reaching 12 or 13th level, so that may have something to do with it (also explains my salt, because I went from being able to profitably explore to grinding my teeth).

No, I mean a player literally needs to basically map the slipstream for it to maybe show up.  Not just explore the map, explore the slipstream itself.  But I haven't tested this, and I'm sure Alex will chime in at some point to correct me anyways.
Pages: [1] 2 3