Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shield Shunt 0.9.5.1a  (Read 3868 times)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Shield Shunt 0.9.5.1a
« on: December 19, 2021, 04:18:59 AM »

When would use of this be optimal, on what ships, in what situations?

+25% armor doesn't seem worth it unless I'm not understanding connected mechanics.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Shield Shunt 0.9.5.1a
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 04:38:44 AM »

It also allows the AI to use full flux on offense and counts as permanent 50% bonus for polarized armor. I've used it on every low-tech cruiser/capital, and it feels quite good. Works really well against human fleets, but doesn't deal with remnants at all. They have too many heavy energy weapons, you can't armor tank quad plasma radiants.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 04:43:38 AM »

From what I've seen, Shield shunt is used on ships where you really want to maximize armour and have a beast that will never have to stop firing its guns. That means mandatory Heavy Armour, Polarized armour skill and probably something else I'm forgetting. Shield shunt Onslaught seems like a great candidate since it has the highest base armour and really needs all the flux it can get. Dominators and base Legions could also potentially work with that, but as mentioned you won't get too far in the hardest fights.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 04:48:10 AM »

and probably something else I'm forgetting
Reinforced bulkheads, armored weapon mounts, solar shielding, damage control and impact mitigation. You want to stack everything at the same time because they stack multiplicatively.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 05:33:55 AM »

and probably something else I'm forgetting
Reinforced bulkheads, armored weapon mounts, solar shielding, damage control and impact mitigation. You want to stack everything at the same time because they stack multiplicatively.
Does Solar shielding really make that of a difference? It's a slight reduction in damage against just one damage type. With all of the necessary hullmods wouldn't just extra caps and vents make the ship better? Just asking honestly because I haven't used that hullmod ever, it doesn't seem worth it.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 05:38:13 AM »

It does, since the highest hit strength weapons are energy. The hullmod is cheap, and low-tech ships have plenty OP to spare.

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 07:42:43 AM »

When would use of this be optimal, on what ships, in what situations?

+25% armor doesn't seem worth it unless I'm not understanding connected mechanics.
You pretty much never need to spend OP on vents or capacitors in exchange for more potentially firepower and hullmods. Ships can't overload because it never gets hard flux.

Now if we had a Phase Shunt... ::)

bowman

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 03:09:09 PM »

Does Solar shielding really make that of a difference? It's a slight reduction in damage against just one damage type. With all of the necessary hullmods wouldn't just extra caps and vents make the ship better? Just asking honestly because I haven't used that hullmod ever, it doesn't seem worth it.

I wouldn't really say a 20% damage reduction is all that slight. I've considered it mandatory for fighting remnants for ages, since the DR applies to everything, as far as I know (shields, armor, hull) but I might be wrong on that.

Even if it only applies to armor, it's still worth because that massively affects the armor breaking of remnants since hit strength is so important for damaging higher armor values.

More on-topic, shield shunt is definitely quite good for reasons others have mentioned already. I've been fighting remnants with an almost entirely shieldless fleet as a result. In fact, I think it might actually cost a little too few OP for what it provides, but it really depends on the ship.

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 08:36:08 PM »

It's good. Finally a sensible change on the hullmod, old one's sole purpose was to prevent unarmed ships from cancelling zero flux boost.

I wouldn't really say a 20% damage reduction is all that slight. I've considered it mandatory for fighting remnants for ages, since the DR applies to everything, as far as I know (shields, armor, hull) but I might be wrong on that.

Even if it only applies to armor, it's still worth because that massively affects the armor breaking of remnants since hit strength is so important for damaging higher armor values.

More on-topic, shield shunt is definitely quite good for reasons others have mentioned already. I've been fighting remnants with an almost entirely shieldless fleet as a result. In fact, I think it might actually cost a little too few OP for what it provides, but it really depends on the ship.
Wait, what? Solar shielding applies to shields?

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 08:59:26 PM »

Yes. All Energy damage -20%.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 11:38:38 PM »

Solar shielding didn't apply to shields initially, but that was because of a bug. It applies to everything now.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 01:32:27 AM »

Specifically which ships does all this stacking work best for? If anyone has a loadout(s) please include them.

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 02:39:52 AM »

Yes. All Energy damage -20%.
Hold on. Had this thing came up that needs to be taken care of.
Totally unrelated, but I'm replacing all my fleet with Lion's Guard ships, ahem.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 04:29:59 AM »

It's extremely good, against redacted probably the best durability hullmod by far and it's also really cheap (+gives a nifty storm protection).
Always used it in the previous version, seems just as good in 95.1a. Cheap so wouldn't be an S mod anyway, can swap it out as needed.

Specifically which ships does all this stacking work best for? If anyone has a loadout(s) please include them.
Armor bricks with high OP, bad flux for their mounts and not very good shields (XIV Onslaught/Dominator are the obvious examples).
Stack all armor/hull mods, add way stronger weapons than you normally would, hulk smash the radiants when they jump in.
EMP is better than usual, just hard to get on the best shunt candidates. Not using shields+tons of ballistic slots means you get enemy shields down super fast and any weapon disabled is chip damage prevented.
HIL is annoying, so pack some monitors or other durable blockers.
On the fence about conquest, it has plenty of flux but shields are atrocious and I suck at using omni+broadsides so just front convert anyway.

Overall I really like the hullmod, it feels strong and IMO it's the good kind of variety.
You give up something that fundamentally changes how you play, and gain a very noticeable (but not silly good!) boost in return.

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 04:40:26 AM »

Shield shunt is a meme hullmod that doesnt bring any real benefits. The only ship in the whole game that can equip and get small results is the onslaught (have to spend like 80OP worth of hullmods to make up for it though). Also shield shunt should oly be used by player piloted ships since the AI will just die with it.
Pages: [1] 2