Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colony admins lost their skills  (Read 1154 times)

YetAnotherCowboy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Colony admins lost their skills
« on: December 16, 2021, 02:20:57 PM »

So as was explained by someone that colony admins lost their skills wasn't a bug, but a version change, and asked to move over here by Alex for discussion: why was this change implemented?

I feel as though this only further hobbles player colonies by denying them skilled administrators. Now you can apparently still find +1 industry admins from rescued ships if you're lucky but so far in 20+ hours and at least 15 pods rescued I've found none. Player colonies they can admin themselves (and max admins) has still remained the same so I'm not sure why a system that was already having problems in limiting a player beyond a half dozen or so colonies in a massive universe where exploration calls should be further degraded.

(Though personally I just edited the settings to allow a max of 10k player run colonies before they have stability problems because some of us want to have a sprawling empire.)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Colony admins lost their skills
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 06:15:01 PM »

Pretty sure the Industrial Planning admin I got was a comm directory hire.

Anyway I'd say the colony balance hasn't changed that much. Human admins remain straight-up inferior to alpha cores (and two-skill admins were a net loss on anything but the best colonies). The noticeable nerfs are: alpha cores aren't as good as before (Hypercognition only fractionally replicates the lost skills), and you can't plop an appropriate one-skill admin on a colony that's having stability or accessibility issues at the moment (assuming you couldn't or didn't want to spare the alpha).

As for the reasoning, the way I remember it is that player colony skills (except IP) got yeeted because they just aren't interesting enough to compete with the rest of the tree, and then admins lost theirs as well so they wouldn't have skills the player doesn't.
There have been ideas for making them come back; I think the best one was making all colonies require non-player admins and then they can have access to whatever skills they need.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 06:21:02 PM »

And the IP admins cost 20k per month now instead of 5k before.

Pretty sure the Industrial Planning admin I got was a comm directory hire.

Anyway I'd say the colony balance hasn't changed that much. Human admins remain straight-up inferior to alpha cores (and two-skill admins were a net loss on anything but the best colonies). The noticeable nerfs are: alpha cores aren't as good as before (Hypercognition only fractionally replicates the lost skills), and you can't plop an appropriate one-skill admin on a colony that's having stability or accessibility issues at the moment (assuming you couldn't or didn't want to spare the alpha).

As for the reasoning, the way I remember it is that player colony skills (except IP) got yeeted because they just aren't interesting enough to compete with the rest of the tree, and then admins lost theirs as well so they wouldn't have skills the player doesn't.
There have been ideas for making them come back; I think the best one was making all colonies require non-player admins and then they can have access to whatever skills they need.
Player should be able to run at least one colony so he can use it if he can colonize first without any admins.  I do not want to hire admins until I have a colony available to run.  (I have passed IP admins early because I did not want a 2k or so drain on my early income.)

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 09:51:36 PM »

Some of my admins are 10k/month while one stayed at 20k/month, but all have same skills.  Possibly a mod interaction issue, but odd either way.
I wasn't always a Judge...

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 02:27:15 AM »

20k for admins with just a single skill seems too much. 10k would be more appropriate.

Asherogar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 04:43:55 AM »

Some of my admins are 10k/month while one stayed at 20k/month, but all have same skills.  Possibly a mod interaction issue, but odd either way.

Same thing, some admins just have 20k paycheck, while others with IP only 10k. And I'm 100% sure I don't have any mods affecting admins, officers or skill tree.

YetAnotherCowboy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 05:52:11 AM »

20k for admins with just a single skill seems too much. 10k would be more appropriate.

I honestly don't remember how much mine were, their skills more than made up for whatever they were being paid.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »

I've got 2 admins currently.
One with IP (elite) from a cryo pod who costs 20k.
And one with no skills at all from the directory who costs 2.5k.

No idea why the IP skill is marked as elite, it doesn't appear to do anything extra.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 09:07:38 AM »

I have two IP admins that are both currently doing nothing because their salary is like 2-3 times the increase in profit they bring lol. My colonies are small still, size 4, so I am keeping them with the expectation they ill be worthwhile later.