Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strange AI Behaviour  (Read 561 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Strange AI Behaviour
« on: December 16, 2021, 02:03:35 PM »

So I was testing a new ship for the first time, and I'm encountering a really weird bug (I think?) with the AI.

Here's the ship's loadout, it has no officer, and the fleet doctrine's set to steady (the custom hullmod doubles ammo capacity, ammo regen speed, and RoF for missiles):
Spoiler
[close]

One would assume that, given the Steady doctrine, it would stay at range in a (sim) fight against a Sunder. However, here's the opening moments of that fight:
Spoiler
[close]

At the first chance it dives straight at the Sunder to knife-fight with its point defence Vulcans, only ever backing off to try and vent flux. This repeats until it dies.

It seems like missiles aren't considered for longest weapon range, even ones with recharging or infinite ammo?

Edit: ***, thought I was in modded.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Strange AI Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 02:10:08 PM »

(Moved this to Modding rather than the modded bug reports. Bug reports have a ... let's call it a higher standard of certainty that it's a bug. I mean, there's all sorts of ways in which making modded things will break vanilla, and that doesn't necessarily make them bugs, if that makes sense.)

Ship AI doesn't really support missiles as being their only/primary armament. You might have better luck if you tag the ship as "CARRIER" in ship_data.csv, though - iirc, that may cause it to disregard PD range and treat itself as a non-direct-combatant, but it *may* also make it close to support missile range. Not 100% sure on the latter but it's worth a try.