Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Odyssey Medium Synergy Mount  (Read 990 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Odyssey Medium Synergy Mount
« on: December 16, 2021, 04:44:46 AM »

Found an Odyssey in early-mid game and since it is the backbone of the fleet, I’ve heavily invested in it and am trying new skills (hard flux beams in particular). What I’m noticing is a huge desire to put a medium Energy on the broadside portion of the ship, namely the top-left Medium Missile mount.

The Odyssey is dependent on the Two Large Energy for the most part with a large missile compliment but I think build variety would improve if you had a little wiggle-room in supplementary damage. Changing that mount to synergy still gives the missile capacity but allows for a Medium Energy to add another damage source or utility (like EMP or Graviton). Right now it feels like Odyssey builds are pretty same-y and there’s not a lot options for variety.

I’m fine with the other Missile mounts remaining Missile-only.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Odyssey Medium Synergy Mount
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 08:24:36 AM »

The resonator slaps on the odyssey now. I got one from the hidden cache early, and now I want like 4 more of them. I also have found that ordinance expertise makes using the small slots a lot more practical, and am curious if I can make some more interesting builds work with omega weapons once I get some more.

I wouldn't mind a synergy slot, but I feel like it might be a bit too good.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 06:31:49 PM »

If one of the medium mounts becomes a synergy, I would like the one at the rear right so player can use heavy energy weapon plus medium energy weapon to the right.  Just one big gun on the right, to the right is kind of wimpy.  Currently, if I want to brawl, it is always to the left because two big guns on the left are better than only one big gun to the right.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 07:16:01 PM »

I don't see much point in making Odyssey a double broadside ship. Not only will that make it feel more similar to Conquest (diverse designs are better), but you will still not really want to use both sides. You can't fight with both at the same time, as that requires putting yourself in the middle of the enemy fleet, and neglecting one side to focus on the other will be optimal. Conquests don't have gauss cannons on both sides, do they?

As for the OP's suggestion, the existing medium mounts are placed too awkwardly to be weapon turrets, imo. SWP/Underworld have upgraded Odyssey skins with weapons there, and they feel very clunky to use.

Iannar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 10:46:20 PM »

If you want to test some interesting Odyssey builds use Starlight Odyssey from Underworld mod. It has medium universal mounts instead of missile ones.
I think Odyssey is more "bursty" ship type, and missiles (with built in ECCM) are well matched with this role. You quickly go in, kill and go out. It's a cruiser killer, not an artillery platform like Conquest. I tested scatter beam laser build with Cabal Odyssey and it was weak. As for utility - Xyphos are the best.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 11:30:18 PM by Iannar »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 01:24:55 AM »

As others noted Starlight Odyssey from Underworld mod has 2 forward slots as universals. It's very pleasant to pilot, but is probably way too overpowered. Just put 2 heavy needlers + autopulse + HIL. HIL + ballistic kinetics is a very strong combo, but no vanilla ship has slots + speed + range to use it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 01:27:43 AM by TaLaR »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 04:52:04 AM »

I’d never recommend universals because, as noted, that’d be overpowered. I’m looking to add more sustained damage/utility to the primary broadside. As far as turret coverage of that mount, to be honest, a lot of the Odyssey’s arcs are less than optimal.

I don’t think there’s any helping the “weak” side of the Odyssey. The large can use a Paladin or guided missile but to brawl with that side and leave the two Larges out of the fight seems silly to me.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 05:07:58 AM »

I don't see much point in making Odyssey a double broadside ship. Not only will that make it feel more similar to Conquest (diverse designs are better), but you will still not really want to use both sides. You can't fight with both at the same time, as that requires putting yourself in the middle of the enemy fleet, and neglecting one side to focus on the other will be optimal. Conquests don't have gauss cannons on both sides, do they?
I do use symmetric double loadouts, just not Gauss Cannons because they are too inefficient and not very good against a swarm of small ships.  Instead, better to use more efficient 900 range weapons, and thanks to Ballistic Rangefinder, it can use small kinetics in medium mounts to match the range of heavy weapons.

There is no harm in allowing Odyssey to have a useful double broadside.  Do high-tech warships step on other techs' warships in general (like Onslaught and Paragon, or Eradicator(P) and Fury) because they have a similar job of brawling and killing the enemy directly in front of them?  If anything, it would be more variety of broadside ships, not just Conquest.

I have tried IR Pulse spam and heavy weapon on the right, but that is too short ranged to be useful.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 05:10:36 AM by Megas »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 09:00:49 AM »

HIL + ballistic kinetics is a very strong combo, but no vanilla ship has slots + speed + range to use it.
Champion? Works fine for me there.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 09:07:08 AM »

Champion is slow, although it works alright against enemies when speed does not matter.  Sunder and Brilliant are more that can use HIL and ballistics.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 09:08:53 AM by Megas »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 09:31:25 AM »

I've use champion with HIL + HVD many times, and it does as much damage as other cruisers in my fleet according to the combat results mod. Even if you are slow, you still have a very large sphere of influence, and can punish enemies for coming into it or not paying attention (which happens often). I don't pilot it myself, but it's a solid fleet anchor type ship for the AI.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 10:14:58 AM »

I like HIL + HVD Champions a lot, though they are slower than Odyssey's so its not quite the same.

The front medium becoming synergy would be interesting... on the one hand it would be sacrilege to have anything but a missile there, but on the other having an ion beam in that slot would boost a lot of builds.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 11:28:49 AM »

Or Ion Pulser on medium synergy + Autopulse Laser on large energy + Expanded Magazines.

(this is very much viable on Radiant now, and combines well with other Large Energy guns)