Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slipstreams and skill tree changes spark joy  (Read 1288 times)

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
Slipstreams and skill tree changes spark joy
« on: December 15, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »

Just had to say it, I'm elated.

On slipstreams:
Hyperspace travel was frustrating and boring because of the lack of safe conducts to many areas, requiring either a large amount of time moving around dense clusters, moving slowly through them, or taking a massive economic hit from tanking the supply costs.
Making clear paths through the clouds however, would've made it even more unstimulating and trivialized the existence of storms which are an interesting mechanic.
Slipstreams however, not only respect the mechanics that were already in place, but also add an engaging and fun solution to the tedious aspect of hyperspace travel, each time you can use one to zoom across the map to your objectives, the contrast between that comfort and the laborious nature of avoiding storms makes for a very rewarding feeling. Lovely stuff.

About the skill tree:
An issue many of us had discussed previously was how the way the tree was designed would restrict the flow of the player through it, raising the difficulty of properly balancing skills between each other, both within each branch and between branches. The solution implemented however, allows for a lot of flexibility in fine tuning skills and branches independently, properly tiers through skill point requirements, and the higher level skills have been improved and really express the philosophy that the further you go up in a branch, the greater the return for your investment.
Being able to freely create as many tiers as needed, move skills up and down depending on how many skill points they'd require to reach, and the ability to do this for each branch separately, solves the rigid structure and balancing challenges the previous implementation had, even if skills needed to be tuned now after play testing, now that job can be done so much easier than before.

Both of these changes show creative solutions to gameplay issues that don't sacrifice the integrity of the existent systems, instead managing to enhance them.
If following updates maintain this level of elegance when tuning and adding mechanics, this diamond will be out of rough sides in no time.
As someone who previously whined about both of the issues previously stated, cheers lads, wonderful job!
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Slipstreams and skill tree changes spark joy
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 09:34:01 AM »

Odd, my experience with slipstreams so far has been genuinely negative - they're in the way, they eat extra fuel and supplies to emergency-burn through them, and if you don't e-burn you get tossed off to some random place you didn't want to be (thus eating even more fuel and supplies).

The skill tree is in a lot better place now, though, I'll agree - there are still some skills that I consider to be duds, but I can now just... not take those skills.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 09:47:05 AM »

Instead of e-burn, disengaging sustained burn and just moving through them in perpendicular direction should allow you to get to the other side without deviating from the course too much, choosing to cross through sections with curves that benefit your course or are wide and as such have less "current" also helps  in my experience.

Trying to sustained burn through them however, will definitely end up in a shitshow lol
I'm also not sure if having a very large fleet also makes them more annoying, I'm fairly stingy with my logistic profiles.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 10:09:44 AM »

Yeah, no need to e-burn, just deactivate sustained burn and you get through them without too much trouble.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »

Tried that. Did not work. Still got swept away.

Even with e-burn you still end up noticeably off-course, just not disasterously so.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 10:49:29 AM »

Streams are more hurtful than helpful.  Occasionally, I find one going the right way and I can ride it.  More often, it is perpendicular and crossing it is a pain at times.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 10:55:29 AM »

Tried that. Did not work. Still got swept away.

Even with e-burn you still end up noticeably off-course, just not disasterously so.
I mean, you're gonna get moved a bit, but not like other side of the galaxy far. It's really not that big of a deal, just a minor annoyance IMO. Pretty sure the cost of the fuel you loose is much much less than cost of supplies to e-burn. Maybe burn level also matters here? I pretty much always have burn 9 or 10 one way or another, so maybe low burn fleets get swept away?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 10:59:14 AM »

Sometimes, not always but sometimes, the stream will dampen the player's fleet velocity and drag the fleet down a lot.  E-burn is not always effective enough.  Now I just turn off S-burn and cross it as best I can.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 11:21:32 AM »

I think slipstreams would be less annoying if you could tell the main direction they were going before you planned your expeditions, like maybe have a circular slipstream in the core. Another thing that might help is if the "wheel spoke" streams always went towards the core - getting stuck out in the fringe sucks.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 02:01:02 AM »

I'm also not sure if having a very large fleet also makes them more annoying, I'm fairly stingy with my logistic profiles.
A bit off topic but...
I personally MUST have 2 things on every ship that is able to have them(logistics ships don't have enough OP) and those are 9max burn and Insulated Engine Assembly.
I can't help it. Smuggling is my lifeblood.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 03:42:04 AM »

I think slipstreams would be less annoying if you could tell the main direction they were going before you planned your expeditions, like maybe have a circular slipstream in the core. Another thing that might help is if the "wheel spoke" streams always went towards the core - getting stuck out in the fringe sucks.

I second your suggestion. It's practically impossible to make use of slipstreams with any amount of regularity since you can't really plan ahead to take advantage of them. I think Alex needs to just make the slipstreams visible on the stellar cartography at all times (or give the player a way to easily get a complete updated map through gameplay).

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 10:15:27 AM »

Disengaging sustained burn is probably the way to go with any interaction with slipstreams tbh.
Using them with s-burn on kind of feels like how stellar corona pushes against you harder and makes your fleet feel twitchy until you turn it off. (Also, try going near a black hole with s-burn on - similar interaction, but more 'exciting'.)

Steering in a slipstream is also far, far easier when you turn it off.
If you're crossing a stream, holding the mouse button down will get you swept away. Release the button and issue a new order as soon as you deviate from your course and you should break free.
Just make sure s-burn is off.

I have noticed that streams don't often go in the direction I want, but when they do they're super fun.
And you can create temporary streams if you find a stationary sensor 'ghost' and interdict it. The new stream will go in the direction directly away from your fleet, so you can 'aim' them (sort of).
Riding back into the core on the tail of dozens of (presumably screaming) ghosts ripping a hole in space is super rad. Doubleplus good, would recommend.

Occaisionally you might also see big chonky mercenary fleets lurking around the exits to streams. (Paragons etc.)
They don't seem to care too much about you. Maybe if you were squirting out of the stream right into thier faces that might change?