Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frustrated with Quantum Disruptor for Harbinger  (Read 2435 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Frustrated with Quantum Disruptor for Harbinger
« on: December 14, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »

First, I tried the butt Reaper loadout, but it is awkward to use, and only two or three shots.

Next, I tried AMB loadout.  Even with Systems Expertise, it took longer for it to recharge than AMBs to reload.  Any other energy weapon to strike after QD was pointless.

Finally, I tried an armor tank with three Heavy Blasters, and it smashed enemy destroyers.  After that, I replaced the blasters with phase lances and added Hard Flux Scatter for hard flux lances.  Harbinger can kill things of its class fast.  Only problem?  I did not need Quantum Disruptor for brawling at all.  The system is minor when the opening is brief, and the damage Harbinger can do in a salvo is relatively minor.  My ship might as well have had no ship system.

Either Quantum Disruptor delay should be shorter (30 seconds is too long.  Even System Expertise did not help enough.), or Harbinger should get a different system.  With three energy mounts, I would rather have High Energy Focus instead of QD on Harbinger, or better yet, swap Afflictor's and Harbinger's systems back to what they were several releases ago, with Afflictor having (today's) QD, and Harbinger having ED.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated with Quantum Disruptor for Harbinger
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 07:15:37 PM »

Gonna disagree here on the basis that Quantum Disruptor doesn't scale to the Harbinger, it scales against the enemy ship instead. Automatically overloading a Destroyer is meh. Automatically overloading a shield tank like Apogee or Paragon is outstanding. By analogy, it is less of a "Ship System" and more of a "Fleet System delivered by one ship" depending on how it is used. When your forces are actually engaged and you discretely waltz by and turn off their shield tank, that is not about the individual ship, its about the fleet as a team.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 07:23:24 PM »

Its system is obviously designed for fleet support. You seen what that system can do when your bombers are just about to poop on a large target? Thought playing a support role for the player is often not as fun I agree, and in the hands of the AI they rarely use it well either.

If a situation pops up where the player NEEDS to support a large fleet battle then its a great option. I guess the situations where its useful is just not here yet.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 07:25:14 PM by Linnis »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 07:25:22 PM »

The system should be useful for the attacker.  If it is only good when it has a whole fleet to pound on it, then it is too niche.  Also, the opening from QD is very short.  It would be nice if QD is useful for the attacker alone, but QD now takes too long to recharge, and the opening is short.  Now, I want Entropy Amplify back on Harbinger and Quantum Disruptor (if it stays in its current form) back to Afflictor.  It would also have the benefit of weakening 3 or 4 AMB Afflictor as well.

I do not want to be support while piloting my flagship, especially something like Harbinger.

I guess what I want, is a system that I can use anytime and feel good.  QD being useful only when I buddy up with other ships might as well be no system when I want to play a more loner game.  Afflictor can always ED things for more damage from it.  Shade can zap things like an Omen (then send a Reaper up the enemy rear).  Doom can mine things to death.  Harbinger... drops shields for a brief moment once in a blue moon, but the best it can do is butt Reaper weirdness or 3 AMBs no better than Afflictor.  Best for Harbinger not to rely on QD for battling, which hurts.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 07:37:04 PM by Megas »

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 07:28:07 PM »

The system should be useful for the attacker.
Untrue. There is no onus upon the creator of the game to make every system useful for that ship. I don't even like flares.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 07:37:21 PM »

The system should be useful for the attacker.
Untrue. There is no onus upon the creator of the game to make every system useful for that ship. I don't even like flares.
But if it is not fun to use, then I do not want to use that option.  Right now, trying to make QD work around its limitations is frustrating!  I do not want to rely on a huge endgame fleet to make it worth it.  (I am not even at that point in the game yet.)

Harbinger is powerful, but no thanks to QD.  I have given up trying to make QD work for Harbinger.  It is just yet another free hit out of many on a brawler build.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 07:45:37 PM by Megas »

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 08:37:02 PM »

First, I tried the butt Reaper loadout, but it is awkward to use, and only two or three shots.

Try the reaper loadout but inverting your WASD controls. Makes flying backwards a lot simpler.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 09:06:48 PM »

Dudes, try any of these builds with phase anchor.

Then QD will just be the means for a quick engine shot before you pick apart the enemy ship.  Problems solved.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 09:20:14 PM »

I wouldn't mind a longer duration. Or Make it slow the target's shield unfold for X seconds after the overload wears off.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 09:25:08 PM »

I wouldn't mind a longer duration. Or Make it slow the target's shield unfold for X seconds after the overload wears off.

I run my Harbinger with an ion pulser and two phase lances.  The current duration is plenty long enough to kill the engines on most ships.

It's also long enough to disable an oncoming attacker.  I really don't see the problem.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 04:45:18 AM »

If Quantum Disruptor's recharge time will stay as it is, then the overload duration needs to be much longer, like about two or three seconds instead of about a half second.  It is frustrating trying to score some hits when the duration is tiny.  Tiny overload duration was okay when we could spam the system, but now, it is unacceptable.  This should not be like a fighting game like Tekken where you need to input an overpowered move within a window of one or two frames in a 60 fps game.

Try the reaper loadout but inverting your WASD controls. Makes flying backwards a lot simpler.
Flying backwards is only part of the problem.  Because the universals are turrets, I need to aim them too.  It is harder than it looks.  Also, the short window of QD.  I need to launch missiles while getting fired at, and the Reapers are fragile.

Or Make it slow the target's shield unfold for X seconds after the overload wears off.
Does not help against enemy phase ships.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 07:29:08 AM by Megas »