Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So is low tech doable in 95.1a ?  (Read 2417 times)

Sollaire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
So is low tech doable in 95.1a ?
« on: December 13, 2021, 08:15:16 PM »

I remember low tech eating a hearty poop meal last patch. but theres been buffs to armour. I also don't want to waste my time fitting memeslaughts, moras or legions/xiv if they still suck.
Did it get any better with the armour/burn drive buff

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: So is low tech doable in 95.1a ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 09:19:46 PM »

Low tech got a lot of indirect buffs with the new patch. 3 new ships for greater build choice, some sweet new hullmods and skills that favor low tech, and Burn Drive got a huge buff.

Low tech is stronger than it has ever been—self-imposed low tech runs are viable.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 09:28:35 PM »

I think they're fine? The Manticore has so far been excellent and the new hullmods are a great addition. I think a full lowtech fleet should be good lategame.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 10:38:55 PM »

Low-tech feels much stronger than high-tech or midline (lol, lmao) now. My shieldless memefleet deals with just about anything except double radiant full-alpha ordo bounties. Presumably if you aren't an idiot and use shields it's even better.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 04:07:37 AM »

Idk about late game, but it does pretty well in midgame. My character is 7 lvl right now, having Helmsmanship, Impact mitigation, Ballistic spec, Navigation, Gunnery Implants and Polarized armor. I ll add two skills for extra flux management and few skills for combat readiness later. Dunno about the rest.

For the loadout: i use Shiled shunt. Works kinda ok, but cant take reaper hits, so, you need to have some PD (and in many situations you dont need Ballistic rangefinder, since your small and medium non-PD ballistics very litimed). Also it will not resist heavy singlehit fire like Hellbore cannons for too long.

Anyway, now it is way more fun to play armor builds. But it will be painful at the start, till you get 6-7 skills (a bit less, if you dont pick Navigation first).

Also, lol... Got myself a Legion XIV (d-modded for armor, btw). Flying around, killing some stuff... My thoughts be like: "Well, it is tough to play, but manageble". Then i noticed that it has no Integrated targeted unit or Dedicated targeting core installed... And you know, after ITU installation it feels really enjoyable to play.

Is it better to use Shield shunt or not - open question now. I think that without it the gameplay is easier, but will keep it till lategame just to check it out. For now can only say that PD can be random. Sometimes it kills reapers, sometimes few of them passes... (i m talking about fights against medium pirate fleets now).
Spoiler
[close]

Pratapon51

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 05:04:11 AM »

Always has been! It's definitely a lot better now, though.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 06:06:46 AM »

Interestingly, I find that Low Tech is now the late-bloomer while High tech is immediately strong and midline is, well, in the middle. It takes a lot of skills to make Low Tech reach its peak but that ceiling is arguably higher than the rest. It has toughness, range, specialization and it isn’t hurting for dissipation nearly as much anymore.

Sollaire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 05:42:00 AM »

Low tech got a lot of indirect buffs with the new patch. 3 new ships for greater build choice, some sweet new hullmods and skills that favor low tech, and Burn Drive got a huge buff.

Low tech is stronger than it has ever been—self-imposed low tech runs are viable.

Yeah i felt this patch was largely going to be made made to help low tech ships given how the blog post announcing the new ships had to specify "high tech is not meant to be better than low tech"
I've been able to beat end game remnants with high tech and midline so far. but not with low tech due to generally lower speed and crappy flux stats/shields. Guess i'll have to see what i can do with the old staples of low tech to see how well they can do. Though i'll have to re-learn how to use proper ballistics weapons again.