Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Additional Ways to Cancel Ship System  (Read 351 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Additional Ways to Cancel Ship System
« on: December 12, 2021, 06:00:38 AM »

It would be nice if raising shields or by venting would cancel Burn Drive. It seems so natural that several times I have gotten myself into trouble because I expected it to already work that way.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Ways to Cancel Ship System
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 08:26:21 AM »

that sounds very punishing.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 08:38:18 AM »

But venting does cancel Burn drive.

Canceling on shield up would be nice. yes. If I'm trying to shield up during BD, I already want to cancel it, I just forgot to press additional key (and needing fewer key presses is better overall, since sequential key combos introduce input delays - I mean I'm not a perfect robot to nail it within milliseconds).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 08:40:55 AM by TaLaR »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 09:13:36 AM »

You are right, venting does work. I forgot I was using SO at the time, which of course blocks venting.

Would be nice if V still canceled Burn Drive even with SO, just to avoid some "dang you muscle memory" moments.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 09:56:01 AM »

Would be nice if V still canceled Burn Drive even with SO, just to avoid some "dang you muscle memory" moments.
Muscle memory moments is the main reason why I do not want to use SO on my flagship.  The muscle memory moments cost too much time that can be deadly in a fast-paced, twitch fight.  Perks that add hard flux dissipation help a bit.  Otherwise, it hurts when I need to dissipate flux now, but V does not work, and I waste about a full second reacting to vent failure, which is too long.

And back during the 0.7 era releases, I used the vent button to cancel burn drive.  Burn Cancelling helped Dominator and Onslaught being best-in-class during those release.  Combined with the speed hullmods and perks at the time, they were the ultimate kite-and-snipe ships.  That was low-tech's strength before 0.8, run away from everything while gunning them down with efficient and long-ranged ballistics while Vulcans and Dual Flak mulched everything that got close.  (There was no minimum armor back then.)  No need to armor tank if the enemy was outranged and could not shoot back.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:00:47 AM by Megas »