Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SOE quest thoughts [0.95.1a spoilers]  (Read 2585 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
SOE quest thoughts [0.95.1a spoilers]
« on: December 11, 2021, 06:53:39 AM »

(If you don't know what the title refers to, that's good! Don't open the spoilers unless you want to be, well, spoiled.)

Spoiler
First, I should note that I didn't get the mission in a 'normal' playthrough; rather I started a new game with a modified version of Nexerelin's 'skip story' option, and a modified rules.csv row with the RollProbability call removed.

Okay, general impression: Wow, you're a pair of madlads, Alex and David! A minigame needing completely novel systems like this is definitely not something I expected to ever see.
The rest of the mission was fun, too. Nice to see more lore; interesting glimpse into the Eventide aristocracy and its origins, and House Rao. I liked the dialog choices (also I am inordinately amused by the 'DatingSim' option IDs).

Difficulty: Of the first four times I tried it, I only won the third time. Probably fine, it should be hard for a captain with zero fencing experience, and it's not like you lose anything by losing. Classic Prince of Persia controls (a game I've never played) felt a bit "stiff" at first.

Issues and things I thought could be better:
  • It's not save-compatible, right? Since the required persons are only generated on a new game.
  • The requirements to unlock the mission may be too strict. I'm not even sure RollProbability works as one might expect; I used the rule command in a Nexerelin mod mission for a while and it never seemed to show up.
    Also it requires Hegemony commission as if anyone would hold such a thing. (Unless every major faction is getting its own mission? Would be kind of cool.)
  • Caspian Sang is probably exactly as insufferable as he was meant to be. But in hindsight I kinda feel the narrative text criticizing him could be, hmm, more subtle. More show-don't-tell.
  • The tutorial description isn't fully clear on ripostes; I didn't know "a skilled fighter" meant it requires the story point option to work, until I looked at the code. It makes sense in hindsight and I'm not sure how else I'd word it, but maybe highlight that bit in the story point color?
    Also it's hard for me to tell in the first place whether I'm riposting or just doing a normal attack. It seems like ripostes have poor range, or is that just the opponent doing a "middle block"?

Random idea that just popped into my head: Neriene Rao contact when ;D
(maybe as a reward for winning and/or just getting along reasonably well with her)

Overall verdict: Thumbs up, positive review, would party and study the blade again.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 06:56:47 AM by Histidine »

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: SOE quest thoughts [0.95.1a spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 08:27:00 AM »

I don't want to read what you posted but how would one go about in starting this quest?

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 08:38:20 AM »

I didn't know "a skilled fighter" meant it requires the story point option to work

And here I thought I was just getting my timing wrong.

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 03:43:29 PM »

I don't want to read what you posted but how would one go about in starting this quest?
You need a Hegemony commission + maybe finishing up the story a bit (?), go to a Hegemony world and you'll be hit with an event to start the quest-chain.

Spoiler
I have tried the fencing like a dozen times and seem to be getting worse at it. What happens when you win?
[close]

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 06:10:49 PM »

Spoiler
I have tried the fencing like a dozen times and seem to be getting worse at it. What happens when you win?
[close]
Spoiler
It seems to be all about getting the parries right and attacking afterwards (or just before the opponent does, if you're feeling lucky).

Winning just gets a bit of Hegemony rep (+3, but capped at Welcoming) and different dialog where you look awesome instead of experiencing moderate embarrassment.
[close]

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 07:15:28 AM »

Alright, my thoughts.

Spoiler
Difficulty wise I think it's really fair if you use the story point, I got it first try. Just parry and attack. It really reminded me of classic Prince of Persia and I'd like to know if it was inspired by it.

The story itself is really enthralling, I was really into the whole thing. I guess the only complaint I have is that it's just a teaser, I'd really like to see this sort of stuff go on for much longer. I also think that these sort of stories have a lot of potential for some unique content but it doesn't necessarily have to be a minigame, when I chose "I prefer space combat" I expected some sort of duel with both me and the AI using some sort of pre-set fleet/ships. Overall, great "hidden" side content, it'd be amazing if one day the game was sprinkled with this all over!
[close]

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 07:33:25 AM »

Alright, now all we need are a planetary raid RTS, a prison text quest, and a bullet hell minigame for black hole diving.

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 11:27:00 PM »

I was wondering what the fuss was about, and why after many cycles and accomplishments I'd never seen any sign of a new quest, so I spoiled myself with how to find it.

Spoiler
For role play purposes I never take a faction commission. The money's right, but I hang on to the dream that one day it'll be possible to unite the sector, and I can't do that as a faction's dog. It would be nice to have some sort of hook into this that isn't related to a commission. A swaggering uppity Mercenary Captain who rubbed shoulders with the High Hegemon could probably still command that level of sneering disdain, if not more.

Very fun side plot, I was pleasantly surprised by all of it. Any opportunity to define my character with more clarity in the world is a huge draw for me. I heavily favor all contacts and antagonists generated from quest line events, and I salivate at the thought of seeing more from the characters we come to know. Maybe I'm going on too much, but I really appreciate the opportunities we have to glimpse into life in the Persean Sector. Thank you very much, all of you on the team, and well done!
[close]