Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Asteroid Storms  (Read 1315 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Asteroid Storms
« on: April 23, 2012, 06:54:44 AM »

A'ight everyone here plays the game, mind their business blowin' fleets up and all that shazz...

But it would be neat as all hell to have natural hazards such as Asteroid storms

In MY head here is how I see it happen

Asteroid Storms would behave like any fleet only thoses would have not a single form of "tracking"
(or maybe perhaps allow them to curve their trajectories when coming close to a planet due to the whole "GRAVTITATION PIT B*TCH" thing).

If a fleet comes into contact with it, it would force a sort of "engagement" with no choices at all.

The idea would be that at the start of the engagement you get a countdown, when countdown reaches zero, hundreds of rocks are hurled at your fleet from one angle of the map and basically the only thing your fleet could do would be to outlast the storm by either dodging the rocks or or blowing the living sh*t out of it.

Now I'm not saying to do that just so some big fleets get screwed over just by a bunch of dumb rocks, but also as a sort of "Mining minigame"

See, I can see the whole "farming rocks to victory" become QUITE boring...

But lets say the f*cking rocks are hurled at you from across the map , forcing you to either shoot em to bits (and thus liberating whatever's inside of em) or just not give a crap and dodge right through em without a care in the world, Then YEAH I'd be game, it would also make a good trainning as to what your ship CAN and CANNOT do...

Also PLEASE....For GOD'S SAKE give us a sorta vault where we can store up the ships and ressources we don't need....That would just go hand-in-hand with that....

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Asteroid Storms
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »

Getting a place to store extra ships is a nice idea, but I don't think I can agree with the rest, for two reasons.

First, asteroids simple aren't all that dangerous in the game, so even getting a few hundred thrown at you is not a big deal. This does not mean they can't be altered to be dangerous but that will also require a tweaking of the AI to see them as such otherwise we are going to get other problems.

Second, it doesn't make a lot of sense, while space has many hazards it's mostly very empty, stuff doesn't really catch you by surprise as everything can be seen, mapped and monitored over vast distances. That doesn't have to stop it from being used anyway since thats way more exciting.

Also, why would you go out of your way to farm under dangerous conditions? It's space, just adjust your speed to coincide with the asteroid field and mine in relative peace. Why would any captain try to engage in a asteroid field? Thats just ludicrously dangerous to both sides, I can see it being used as a valid tactic in some cases but remember, this is space, you kind of have a lot of space to maneuver your flied away from these things even when you are being attacked.