Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (splitoff from another topic) Colony Skills  (Read 422 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
(splitoff from another topic) Colony Skills
« on: December 02, 2021, 10:19:55 PM »

Also Alex, how do you feel about far more colony bonuses from (primarily non-colony) skills but most of the bonuses dropping off with increasing Colony Size/number of Colonies?

I don't think that'd be a good idea - or, at least, that's not a direction I want to go in. I think I've touched on the "why" of that somewhere in one of the posts? Or maybe it was in one of the discussion threads. But basically, I don't think "colony is passively a bit better" type bonuses are mechanically interesting enough to have a bunch of them. Once colonies have a more well-defined/established mechanical - and active - role, I could see improving that via skills, maybe. But I still don't want to have many skills like that; colonies aren't the focus of the game in that way and don't warrant this.
Yes, I remember you saying that you wanted to make Colonies and Industries more interesting, like Patrol Bases being able to send out fleets to assist the player etc.

But right now, the changes still haven't happened and 0.95.1a is ultimately still a non-overhaul update despite the sheet amount of changes it brings. So I believe that it wouldn't hurt much to do this "colony is passively a bit better type bonuses" approach just for this one update.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: (splitoff from another topic) Colony Skills
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 10:03:24 AM »

But right now, the changes still haven't happened and 0.95.1a is ultimately still a non-overhaul update despite the sheet amount of changes it brings. So I believe that it wouldn't hurt much to do this "colony is passively a bit better type bonuses" approach just for this one update.

From my perspective, I think it would be better rather to focus the effort on the overhaul before 1.0 - assuming making colonies more interesting is still a goal for release. Band-aids have the downside of making more work for the actual overhaul, because those must also be removed or reworked. Since there is already a skill rework in progress, having to do it again just delays things.

I think it would be more helpful to discuss concrete ways of making colonies themselves more interesting and engaging first, and then amplifying those mechanics through the use of skills, if that makes sense.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 10:40:43 AM »

The biggest issue is going to be that Alex wants colonies to be a tool for solving the endgame, but he is unwilling to say anything about it, so we just have to guess what he wants colonies to do, or basically what does the order tab do.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 02:00:43 PM »

The biggest issue is going to be that Alex wants colonies to be a tool for solving the endgame, but he is unwilling to say anything about it, so we just have to guess what he wants colonies to do, or basically what does the order tab do.

This is the question, basically.  I think Alex was intending to have colony/colony skills basically complement the orders tab so that anyone who went colony instead of ship combat skills could deploy way more stuff from colony to make up for cruddy combat skills.  But instead he just threw in the towel and added full respeccing for whatever reason.  Not like slow partial respeccing (where player can only reskill like 1 skill per cycle after max level reached), just straight full respeccing.  Definitely solved a lot of issues (and a lot of complaints), but hip shot solutions do tend grate on basically anyone who isn't positively affected (so both anyone neutral and those negatively affected).  But now that respeccing is in the game, I don't expect it to get dropped when mythical colony update arrives.

As for OP about colony skills, IMHO only allowing admins to have colony skills seems most reasonable solution with least ridiculousness.  Removing them from the player meta/skills next update might be a compromise, but definitely a compromise I could get behind so long as admins don't become generic stand-ins for misfires of colony game loop.  Since otherwise basically forces player to use alpha core admins, which appears to be a trap for end-game:

I wasn't always a Judge...