Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Being over fuel capacity should leak fuel, not consume supplies  (Read 1607 times)

Sorbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Being over fuel capacity should leak fuel, not consume supplies
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 09:00:29 AM »

I like it too, makes sense.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 10:20:26 AM »

I think the fuel drain should be pretty slow because otherwise there's no point to going over, given how long we typically spend in real space vs hyper. Yeah, that will probably cause people to keep their fuel a little over max, but there are still speed penalties with that so it should be okay.

Is there any sort of drain in normal/real space at all (anymore?)?  I had always assumed that fuel loss technically occurred in real space, but it was like 3-4 orders of magnitude below hyperspace, so in practice the most you might lose exploring a system is like 2-3 fuel, maybe 4-6 max.  I mean, I haven't ever really noticed any fuel loss in normal space, but then again, I haven't really been checking.  I guess it's relatively trivial to just crack the game code open and check for myself, but for all I know I might end up finding legacy code instead of whatever is the current means of control.  But of course it would be easier math to just have no loss in real space, so fewer maths prolly trumps realism...
I wasn't always a Judge...

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 10:26:25 AM »

This suggestion would be nice to have for a single reason: I would lose fuel from having too much fuel, instead of losing unrelated supplies.

I think the fuel drain should be pretty slow because otherwise there's no point to going over, given how long we typically spend in real space vs hyper. Yeah, that will probably cause people to keep their fuel a little over max, but there are still speed penalties with that so it should be okay.
The same argument works with all other types of capacities and isn't just unique to fuel.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 10:50:19 AM »

I think the whole point of the current mechanic is to make it non-viable to go over without actually using a hard cap. I don't think there is supposed to be a point in going over.

I think fuel drain would be nice QOL, just so you don't have to worry about accidentally going over and losing a bunch of supplies when salvaging/exploring.

float

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 11:03:21 AM »

Agree 100% with OP. Also, in the same vein, I propose that if you go over crew capacity, instead of consuming additional supplies, random crew members should mysteriously start jumping out of airlocks.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 11:21:24 AM »

Agree 100% with OP. Also, in the same vein, I propose that if you go over crew capacity, instead of consuming additional supplies, random crew members should mysteriously start jumping out of airlocks.

Need a mutiny mechanic to balance.  Which I have suggested before on multiple threads, so agree!
I wasn't always a Judge...

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 11:26:59 AM »

The same argument works with all other types of capacities and isn't just unique to fuel.

It does not apply to the other capacities. Crew doesn't normally go over. Extra supplies get used, though inefficiently. But if all your extra fuel drains away in real space it is a total waste because fuel is only used in hyperspace.

That is why I think it should be a slow drain.
Pages: 1 [2]