Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Is this system viable for an Empire ?  (Read 1560 times)

Ceiwan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Is this system viable for an Empire ?
« on: November 22, 2021, 08:34:42 AM »

11 planets :

- Barren : Rich Ore / Nop Atmosphère / Extreme heat

- Desert : Moderate Ore / Moderate Rare Ore / Extreme Weather / Hot / Habitable

- Gas Giant : Abudant Volatible / High Gravity

- Terran : Extensive Ruins / Rich Farmland / Common Organics / Sparse Ore / Sparse Rare Ore / Habitable / Mid Climate

- Barren : Widespread Ruins / Rich Ore / No Atmosphere

- Cryovolcanic : Widespread Ruins / Abundant Ore / Abundant Rare Ore / Diffuse Volatible / Tectonic Activity / Extreme Cold

- Tundra : Poor Farmland / Sparse Ore / Abundant Rare Ore / Common Organics / Cold / High Gravity / Habitable

- Ice Giant : Diffuse Volatible / Extreme Cold / High Gravity

- Cryovolcanic : Moderate Rare Ore / Abundant Ore / Plentiful Volatibles / Tectonic Activity / Extreme Cold

- Frozen : Sparse Ore / Plentiful Volatibles / Extreme Weather / Tin Atmosphere / Extreme Cold / Low Gravity

- Barren : Moderate Ore / Poor Light / No Atmosphere / Extreme Cold

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is this system viable for an Empire ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 08:53:37 AM »

Looks good to me.

For me, I'd prioritize the Terran world and drop a farmland on it, followed by mining for organics (and some minor cash from the sparse ores).  By the looks of it's a 50% upkeep worlds, which is really nice for a first world.

After that you want at least one no atmosphere world (i.e. Barren) for fuel production, hoping to get a synchrotron at some point, as well as a nanoforge for heavy industry.  A Cryovolcanic could round out the 3rd, as a mining planet producing good amounts of rare and normal ore, along with volatiles.  Sprinkle in refining, light industry (on a habitable world), at least two military HQs, and maybe some commerce, you should be set.  Expand beyond that to taste, probably prioritizing the habitable worlds.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 09:10:36 AM »

depending on how far it is from the core worlds. That location sounds GREAT.

Ceiwan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 10:40:17 AM »

11 planets
Let me stop you right there: Yes.
It's near (actually?) impossible to not make money with a colony given enough time and effort, the added protection so many worlds in one system offers outweighs basically everything else.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 12:01:25 PM »

Seriously, 11 planets.  Give every one of them a patrol HQ and NOTHING is taking those planets from you.  They could send fleets in for MONTHS and you'd still have time to come home and intervene.  That terran world will cost basically nothing to get going; drop farming and mining on that world and you should definitely pump as much cash and story points into pop growth and accessibility as possible to really blow up your early economy.  Then when you're flush with cash (and you will be from a planet that cheap) get some heavy industry going so you can replace your losses.  After that, you're free to corner the market on whatever commodity you want.

Ceiwan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 12:52:02 PM »

I will colonize Terran first in ordre to produce Food and Organics, to earn MONEY o/

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 03:47:27 PM »

any system with more than 4 planets is suitable for your settling, the modifiers are irrelevant to an extend, because the most important thing for colonies is critical mass for defence...

and after 4 military bases (or higher) in the same system most if not the biggest incursions are stopped by the defenders alone