Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: [0.97a] Progressive S-Mods (0.11.3) — gain XP for ships, spend it on S-mods  (Read 156930 times)

paulogabbi

• Ensign
    • View Profile

That’s intended — it’s to stop you from building in hull mods with story points. You can access this mod’s build-in menu via dialog at a market.
ohh this make sense, becuase the number is 998, i did think it was my fault, or i did something wrong, sorry to bother

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This mod owns.
Some observations:

The XP gain in general seems a bit on the fast side, it doesn't take much effort at all to end up with a fleet full of double-modded ships all with huge piles of extra XP.
I'd like to slow XP gain down a bit, I looked in the settings but there's nothing that obviously stands out to me as a general scaling modifier.

Being able to build-in mods from the full list without having to install them first is completely brilliant.
But it doesn't fully work.
If a ship has 2 logistics mods you are not allowed to build-in another logistics mod, you must first remove one of the existing ones.

I set "ignoreNoBuildIn" to false in the settings to preserve the no saftey overrides thing from vanilla, but SO is still being offered as a legit addable mod and not marked as "not allowed" like any of the other forbidden mods.

Accessing the build-in menu via the planet/colony menu is clunky and awkward, but I'm not sure how else you'd do it.
It has been a source of minor irritation that I cannot access the build-in options for a specific ship directly from the refit screen, where I'm doing loadout stuff.
No idea how you could do this but if you ever manage it, it will vastly improve the UX.

Armed ships with the "civgrade" mod get XP allocated twice. Once from combat, and again from the civilan ships pool.
Not sure if this is intended or not, but it seems odd.

The post-battle XP allocation readout could do with trimming down significantly, or even better getting punted out of the battle text entirely and turning into an intel report/fleet log.
It's huge.
It makes the text scroll nauseatingly quickly for a moment after every battle if you have enough ships in play. And you can do nothing to stop it.

Being able to swap out mods is fantastic, and allows for some degree of experimentaion which is cool and good. And being able to actually build-in stuff on ships you'd literally NEVER spend a story point on otherwise is a genuinely liberating feeling.
Wonderful stuff.

I made a replacement for the tracker icon just because. Feel free to use or ignore as you wish.

Even despite it's flaws, I still think this mod is a net positive.
Good work!

Sunnyko

• Ensign
    • View Profile

An option to cap the amount of times you can expand the build in sockets rather then just exponential cost growth would be nice.

float

• Commander
    • View Profile

Update to 0.8.7, small change that no longer sets max perma mods to -999 but just makes every hull mod no_build_in by default (and converts existing no_build_in to a different tag)

@Serenitis

Thanks for the lengthy feedback. The xpGainMultiplier in the settings is probably what you're looking for -- it's a multiplier on all XP you get.

You're right about the logistics mods thing, I should ignore that.

Modifying the refit screen directly is something that I'd consider infeasible (technically it is possible with lots of reflection, but reflection-based code isn't really that fun to write or maintain), because absolutely none of the refit screen is exposed in the game's API.

An option to cap the amount of times you can expand the build in sockets rather then just exponential cost growth would be nice.

Exponential cost growth is already a pretty strong cap. Think of it this way -- after ~20 expansions, the XP cost would overflow INT_MAX. After 10 expansions you're already looking at 1-10 million XP per expansion which is basically impossible to get. You could change extraSModXPCostGrowthFactor to something larger to make the cap even stronger.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 02:24:58 PM by this_is_a_username »

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Update to 0.8.7, small change that no longer sets max perma mods to -999 but just makes every hull mod no_build_in by default (and adds a really_no_build_in tag)
Unless this is automatically added to hullmods that normally have no_build_in all I can say is "ewwww."

Some hullmods, especially when dealing with modded games, have good reasons to not be build-in-able, and having to manually exclude them would be a painful precedent to set.

float

• Commander
    • View Profile

Of course this is the case. no_build_in -> progsmod_no_build_in is done automatically in the application loading stage. No modder needs to worry about manually adding this tag. Sorry if unclear.

float

• Commander
    • View Profile

Ignore this, meant to edit a post

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile

Update to 0.8.7, small change that no longer sets max perma mods to -999 but just makes every hull mod no_build_in by default (and converts existing no_build_in to a different tag)

@Serenitis

Thanks for the lengthy feedback. The xpGainMultiplier in the settings is probably what you're looking for -- it's a multiplier on all XP you get.

You're right about the logistics mods thing, I should ignore that.

Modifying the refit screen directly is something that I'd consider infeasible (technically it is possible with lots of reflection, but reflection-based code isn't really that fun to write or maintain), because absolutely none of the refit screen is exposed in the game's API.

Exponential cost growth is already a pretty strong cap. Think of it this way -- after ~20 expansions, the XP cost would overflow INT_MAX. After 10 expansions you're already looking at 1-10 million XP per expansion which is basically impossible to get. You could change extraSModXPCostGrowthFactor to something larger to make the cap even stronger.
Does this mean Indevo is now fully supported for that one? As Automated Construction hullmod increases built-in cap by 1 for ships produced by [REDACTED] found on some planets to make one free s-mod which comes with them completely free.

float

• Commander
    • View Profile

Does this mean Indevo is now fully supported for that one? As Automated Construction hullmod increases built-in cap by 1 for ships produced by [REDACTED] found on some planets to make one free s-mod which comes with them completely free.

The update shouldn’t change indevo interaction. There’s still a mod-specific counter for s-mod slots that you pay for.

But I’m actually considering removing that counter and just making the cost be based on how many s-mod slots the ship currently has. The reason being that the counter is exploitable — if you purchase s-mod slots on a ship before feeding it to the deconstructor/hull forge, the reconstructed ship keeps the extra s-mods while the internal counter resets (due to the reconstructed ship having a different id in the fleet).

Corelious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

there seems to be some kind of weird situation, where sometime far in a save, the XP value of ships (the entire fleet) just gets stuck in 0 and cannot increase the XP from 0 no matter how many battles.

looking into the save data, they seem to be stuck in an NaN value.

i only noticed this fairly recently though.
saving the NaN value as a number (i.e 500 or whatever) seems to "unstick" the XP of a ship though
went from 0(nan), edited save file xp value to 500, loaded the save, and now it can climb to 600+ after a quick battle.

but yeah, weird thing is. It happens to the entire fleet at once
so something (probably) gets *** up at the moment the mod adds XP to ships after battle which is why it includes the civilian ships as well.

WHAT SHIP IS THIS. I MUST KNOW.

float

• Commander
    • View Profile

@Corelious

Looks to be a ship from this mod:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12709.0

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile

Does this mod limit the number of s-mods on enemy ships? I do recall raising s-mod limit in SS settings effectively translated to a higher peak difficulty in a playthrough so doing the opposite with a mod might have that effect reversed.

float

• Commander
    • View Profile

Does this mod limit the number of s-mods on enemy ships? I do recall raising s-mod limit in SS settings effectively translated to a higher peak difficulty in a playthrough so doing the opposite with a mod might have that effect reversed.

It doesn't raise the global s-mod limit -- only on a per-ship basis. So it should have no effect on NPC fleets.

korqi

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi, thank you for your mod, is it possible to disable all parts of this mod and only retain the part which allows you to increases number of max hullmods using story points? Some parts of this mod is really  appealing to me but using xp to build in hullmods is not so much attractive, sorry :( 

float

• Commander
    • View Profile

is this mod could conflict with Starship legends ? thank you for your work !

It should be compatible with the old (pre 2.0) version of Starship Legends, from experience. I'm not sure about the new version, sorry.

Hi, thank you for your mod, is it possible to disable all parts of this mod and only retain the part which allows you to increases number of max hullmods using story points? Some parts of this mod is really  appealing to me but using xp to build in hullmods is not so much attractive, sorry :( 

I have attached a jar file that removes the part of code that prevents building in hull mods with story points. Replace the file in Progressive S-Mods/jars with the one attached.

You can also go to progsmod_settings.json and change all of the entries in "baseExtraSModXPCost" to 0 to avoid having to pay XP to increase ships' build-in limit.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20