Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Why can't I cancel transverse jump?  (Read 1269 times)

Thogapotomus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Why can't I cancel transverse jump?
« on: November 19, 2021, 12:17:04 PM »

The only way I've been able to cancel it, is if I'm over a market that I can enter without moving. Am I missing something? It's really annoying to hit by accident. Would it be possible to mod it, to be cancellable? Or maybe to make it a double press like the transponder?

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I cancel transverse jump?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 12:49:13 PM »

Seconded, I have occasionally hit transverse jump accidentally and been displeased with the results, since usually it either ends with my fleet being intercepted, or just blowing supplies for no reason...
I wasn't always a Judge...

Talinoth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 05:52:41 AM »

My Neutrino Detector button is next to my Transverse Jump (8 and 9 respectively).

As you can imagine, I quite often fatfinger Transverse while trying to look for hidden treasure, and end up jumping out again.

It wastes time, fuel and supplies. Not only that, I play with Ruthless Sector on...

Okay, so I occasionally get bonus Alpha cores and that's great, but having two Ordos fly on top of you after an unintended jump and then dealing with two Radiants and 8 Brilliants during what was supposed to be a relaxing treasure hunting session gives me stomach pain.

Thogapotomus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »

My Neutrino Detector button is next to my Transverse Jump (8 and 9 respectively).

Same. I know I can change the positions but I kinda like them where they're at. It doesn't happen often, but it's very annoying when it does.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 01:09:52 AM »

As you can imagine, I quite often fatfinger Transverse while trying to look for hidden treasure, and end up jumping out again.

It wastes time, fuel and supplies. Not only that, I play with Ruthless Sector on...

Okay, so I occasionally get bonus Alpha cores and that's great, but having two Ordos fly on top of you after an unintended jump and then dealing with two Radiants and 8 Brilliants during what was supposed to be a relaxing treasure hunting session gives me stomach pain.

you know you can rebind keys right? for example you could rebind the key for transverse jumping to mouse 4 or something
the options are there, you just gotta use them

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 02:15:06 AM »

you know you can rebind keys right? for example you could rebind the key for transverse jumping to mouse 4 or something

No offense, but you seem to be kinda missing the point.  Rebinding a key won't prevent someone from accidentally hitting it, though it may reduce the likelihood.  If anything, I'm prolly more likely to hit it if I were to bind it to one of my stupid extra mouse buttons I never use on a wireless mouse that has RGB coloring for no other reason than to jack its price up.

As for why someone doesn't rebind, most likely force of habit.  I mean, do you brush your teeth with your non-dominant hand on even numbered days?  No, because you always brush your teeth with your dominant hand unless your dominant hand is injured.  So next time you injure your dominant hand, please try brushing your teeth with it...

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 03:59:44 AM »

No offense, but you seem to be kinda missing the point.  Rebinding a key won't prevent someone from accidentally hitting it, though it may reduce the likelihood.  If anything, I'm prolly more likely to hit it if I were to bind it to one of my stupid extra mouse buttons I never use on a wireless mouse that has RGB coloring for no other reason than to jack its price up.

As for why someone doesn't rebind, most likely force of habit.  I mean, do you brush your teeth with your non-dominant hand on even numbered days?  No, because you always brush your teeth with your dominant hand unless your dominant hand is injured.  So next time you injure your dominant hand, please try brushing your teeth with it...

wat

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile