Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 41

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24  (Read 235960 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a-RC6] Hiver Swarm - V1.02 - Happy Birthday Hivers! 11/18/22
« Reply #240 on: November 28, 2022, 08:05:59 AM »

I did see your response to someone else about the balance being tuned for faction mods. So I%u2019m currently doing a run with BLUE, RED, UAF, BRDY, and some others - all of which I avoided including in my other recent game with Hiver Swarm due to them being too OP (I thought, haha). Now I realize I want this power in the sector to check Hiver ambition!
Those are some strong factions, you should see a difference. I would also suggest Xhan empire https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17972.0 That mod is really well done and has some good ships. But mostly because Peplat has their system situated almost perfectly between the Hiver system and the vanilla faction's systems. It unintentailly makes them a good bulwark to slow them down before they reach other systems.
A swappable config file or something would be a good idea, but up to you! I%u2019m not sure if I found that big vendor price after the very most recent patch or not. In any case, I don%u2019t mind being shorter on money, so I used your alternate non-lootable file.

Thank you!
Good to hear that. I have tried my best to make the Hivers as modular as possible with many alternate version files included. I like giving players options since I know we all have different playstyles and goals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The balance for this mod is way, way out of wack for a vanilla-ish experience, I'm struggling to understand some of the balance choices, these fleets are incredibly strong compared to any other neighboring factions and decimate the core worlds in the matter of a few cycles in which every portion is inhabited by hivers. The fighters are EXTREMELY tanky compared to any other fighters and hard-hitting again, compared to any other fighters / bombers which require support to be all too impactful or are usually moreso nuisances.
I designed the ships to be tanky because they are hard coded to be enemies to the entire sector. In my games I have seen more than one faction invade their system at a time +/- my personal fleet at the same time. Also, they need to be able to stand up to multiple Remnant fleets when they send out invasion/colony fleets since their systems are way outside normal shipping lanes where the remnant fleets hang out and intercept.
I've sort of tried to understand your point on trying to not make the faction pushovers and maybe you're just competing with the other mods that ALSO overpower their factions, but these guys really take the cake with fleet size and kind of detracting from what I assumed would be bio-engineered ships which're fleshy, weaker yet more numerous or maybe some glass cannons or... something balance-y
Well they are an advanced alien species with better tech than Corvus factions. The focus of the mod is to have a more advanced enemy and a challenge to fight against. Balance isn't really a consideration since I never meant them to be a player faction. (Note: I have had several requests in the past which is why I have instructions on how to make them playable on the forum op if you really want to roll over the sector.)
but no, their weapons are INCREDIBLY strong, their hull + armor is incredibly durable (and apparently regenerates, which is easy to do when theres so many ships deployed per swarm fleet...) and they're numerous compared to other vanilla mods.
See above regarding weapons/hull and regen. I would, however, like some clarity on your numerous comment. Are you referring to the number of fleets they have out at once, the amount of ships in an individual fleet or how many ships they can deploy in combat?
I think, if you want, you should establish a design philosophy for the hivers like oh, the fighters are weak but they're numerous and swarm like locusts, cause I ACTUALLY REALLY ENJOY the aesthetic and idea of bug-men from the corner of the system waging war and stirring ***. I wanna kill aliens, I think that's missing from vanilla.
Well that is an idea I think I can work with, I just want to make sure I understand your point correctly. Are you suggesting that I reduce the stats of their individual fighters and bombers but add more ships per wing?
A balance or an alt-mod where the stats are for a more vanilla-ish experience in their values would be cool
I am in the process of making a more vanilla friendly version of the mod however that requires a lot of code manipulation. I am not sure I have the free time to release that in the near future as I also am working on making an all insect ship graphic pack oh and those pesky holidays where people would like to see me crawl out of my cave and visit them. :) The idea is on the Hiver to-do list so it will get done just no ETA, sorry.
srry for ramble its late and im just sad I have to disable this mod and make a new save since bug-men basically consumed my vanilla-ish core worlds in 5 cycles
OH no need to apologize, it is comments like yours that give me ideas and it makes the mod better for all.

I look forward to more rambling ;)

MagnaSonic3000

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2022, 01:30:17 AM »

Hello, just posting some thoughts about the mod. So, there's a weird thing where you can't conquer Hiver worlds, because for what ever reason, if you have a faction commission, they sue for peace the second you invade, but they don't even have the positive relations to do that so, what gives? If a Hiver takes your planet, you're basically ***. Another thing is that these things don't seem to really bother with anyone else and seem to gun straight for me. Why is a faction bent on eating the sector only going after my faction?

All in all, they're a decent threat. Or, I would think so, but apparently a fleet of Star Destroyers isn't something they like dealing with, especially when you have a Secutor shooting halfway across the map that outranges every ship they have with never ending turbolaser fire. I have a few modded factions (the Star Wars one included), and I really don't see too many factions being swallowed up because they originally went after this one faction that was based on a sort of opposite to the Hegemony (they like the AIs and want to coexist), and their station alone was keeping all of their ships back before the support even got there. People have said here that they're tanky, but they don't seem that difficult to kill. Granted, they've only fought those guys in particular, and they don't seem to deal with Star Wars ships that well either, so I can't in fairness say they're lacking in strength. I'm just annoyed they seem to ignore everyone just because they have a hate boner for me.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2022, 12:26:07 PM »

Hello, just posting some thoughts about the mod. So, there's a weird thing where you can't conquer Hiver worlds, because for what ever reason, if you have a faction commission, they sue for peace the second you invade, but they don't even have the positive relations to do that so, what gives? If a Hiver takes your planet, you're basically ***. Another thing is that these things don't seem to really bother with anyone else and seem to gun straight for me. Why is a faction bent on eating the sector only going after my faction?
Hello there, I'll answer as best as I can but some clarity would help. You say they go after you first, which faction are you playing as and how many faction mods do you have installed?
All in all, they're a decent threat. Or, I would think so, but apparently a fleet of Star Destroyers isn't something they like dealing with, especially when you have a Secutor shooting halfway across the map that outranges every ship they have with never ending turbolaser fire. I have a few modded factions (the Star Wars one included), and I really don't see too many factions being swallowed up because they originally went after this one faction that was based on a sort of opposite to the Hegemony (they like the AIs and want to coexist), and their station alone was keeping all of their ships back before the support even got there. People have said here that they're tanky, but they don't seem that difficult to kill. Granted, they've only fought those guys in particular, and they don't seem to deal with Star Wars ships that well either, so I can't in fairness say they're lacking in strength. I'm just annoyed they seem to ignore everyone just because they have a hate boner for me.
I do not have the Star Wars mod enabled so I have not tested them against it. Is that the faction you are playing as? (see above) Also, you may want to review my response to MagnaSonic3000 above your post, they had some similar concerns that I tried to address in my response.

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed report, that helps. I'll look into that mod while I await any response you can give to help me narrow down your concerns.

hello7op

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 17, 2022, 04:27:06 AM »

I did it, I crush those disgusting insect system  :) .

On serious note, I have fun figuring out how to build ship to fight them, it definitely a challenge but doable. I hope you don't nerf them too much and keep it as a challenge. I can understand why some complain about how OP and aggresive they are, on a light modded run about 8 additional faction, they don't get invade on their homeworld often enough , so they can focus on conquer on other faction territory. Also you can't really use alpha strike low range build against them so maybe it limit build a bit.

I don't know if you need to balance them for everyone to enjoy, cause everyone has different playstyle. And I don't think you need to, it a mod after all. One suggestion, maybe just keep their superior flux armor and shield stat, and nerf all of their ship top speed by 5, keep the reverse speed the same, so they can still do the retreat and heal strategy.

Thanks for making and updating the mod !

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 17, 2022, 05:16:52 AM »

I did it, I crush those disgusting insect system  :) .
Cheers, achievement unlocked!
On serious note, I have fun figuring out how to build ship to fight them, it definitely a challenge but doable. I hope you don't nerf them too much and keep it as a challenge. I can understand why some complain about how OP and aggresive they are, on a light modded run about 8 additional faction, they don't get invade on their homeworld often enough , so they can focus on conquer on other faction territory. Also you can't really use alpha strike low range build against them so maybe it limit build a bit.
Agreed. I made them to be a challenge for a modded game. I'll add a disclaimer in the next update stating that.
I don't know if you need to balance them for everyone to enjoy, cause everyone has different playstyle. And I don't think you need to, it a mod after all. One suggestion, maybe just keep their superior flux armor and shield stat, and nerf all of their ship top speed by 5, keep the reverse speed the same, so they can still do the retreat and heal strategy.
I am happy with their current state and though I do see complaints on discord it is mainly about the art assets. The next update will be a graphic overhaul of the ships in the main pack to be all insect looking (The alternate mechanical pack is complete) and at this stage I have no plans to adjust their stats or add ships. Not that I am opposed to it, I just do not see a need personally but if someone has a good idea, I will consider implementing it.
Thanks for making and updating the mod !
Thank you so much, it is such a treat to get a kind word. I could not have gotten this far without player input and help and I am so thankful when someone reaches out.

steve1592

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 25, 2022, 06:43:35 PM »

One thing I've noticed is that the Hiver faction isn't hostile to all modded factions. For example Imperium, and this means that they will boost hiver power through trade.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 25, 2022, 07:26:52 PM »

One thing I've noticed is that the Hiver faction isn't hostile to all modded factions. For example Imperium, and this means that they will boost hiver power through trade.
Thank you for the heads up. I have not looked into yet as I am away for the holiday (Merry Christmas all!) but at a guess I would say it is most likely because they have similar alignments. I'll be back Tuesday to take a peek under the hood and have a better answer then.

steve1592

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 25, 2022, 08:57:31 PM »

No worries. I really like the mod because it fills a niche for an evil type faction, and makes the world feel more alive albeit a tad overbearing. I also have extra incentive to wipe them out because they dominate all trade and go after the size 8 cities early on. Having more modded factions recognize them as evil and push back a bit would also help balance the difficulty as well.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 25, 2022, 11:50:06 PM »

Merry Christmas to you too, Dazs. In that spirit...

If you want to make your faction omni-hostile to the whole sector without having to set all the relations manually, use this code:
Code
List<FactionAPI> factionList = sector.getAllFactions();
        FactionAPI hivers = sector.getFaction("HIVER");

for (FactionAPI faction : factionList) {
            if (faction != hivers &&
                !faction.isNeutralFaction()) {
                hivers.setRelationship(faction.getId(), RepLevel.VENGEFUL);
            }
        }
You want the cutout for neutral factions so the Hivers don't do the equivalent of getting in a fight with a tree. But this way you don't have to update the mod every time someone adds a new faction, either.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 26, 2022, 03:47:54 AM »

Merry Christmas to you too, Dazs. In that spirit...

If you want to make your faction omni-hostile to the whole sector without having to set all the relations manually, use this code:
Code
List<FactionAPI> factionList = sector.getAllFactions();
        FactionAPI hivers = sector.getFaction("HIVER");

for (FactionAPI faction : factionList) {
            if (faction != hivers &&
                !faction.isNeutralFaction()) {
                hivers.setRelationship(faction.getId(), RepLevel.VENGEFUL);
            }
        }
You want the cutout for neutral factions so the Hivers don't do the equivalent of getting in a fight with a tree. But this way you don't have to update the mod every time someone adds a new faction, either.
Well slap me silly. I spent so much time hunting down the prefix for every major faction and flagging them individually. Ah well all part of the learning process. Now pardon my noobness but which file should I add the code? I am assuming HIVER_gen.java but just want to make sure. OH an in that same spirit, I am very thankful for the helpful posts and advice you've given me since I started modding.
No worries. I really like the mod because it fills a niche for an evil type faction, and makes the world feel more alive albeit a tad overbearing. I also have extra incentive to wipe them out because they dominate all trade and go after the size 8 cities early on. Having more modded factions recognize them as evil and push back a bit would also help balance the difficulty as well.
Great, I made them with that in mind. I am so happy when people enjoy the mod and welcome the challenge they provide. I agree with your summation that the more factions that hate them the better, it is almost a requirement. With the code help above, I should have an easy fix in tomorrow when I get back to my PC. I have been busy with R/L stuff and general holiday merry making that I am no where near complete with the insect ship replacements but I'll get the hotfix out asap.

Rotok

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 29, 2022, 02:07:47 AM »

I have been using this mod for more than a year, yet just now realized there was an alternative ship/weapon skin pack included in the mod folder to make the ships more Mechanical-Organic and less Lexx-Organic.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 29, 2022, 07:13:49 AM »

I have been using this mod for more than a year, yet just now realized there was an alternative ship/weapon skin pack included in the mod folder to make the ships more Mechanical-Organic and less Lexx-Organic.
Indeed. I do my best to accommodate different aesthetic tastes. I know some people really do not like insects and that can be a positive when they are an enemy race but also an avoidance to using the mod due to revulsion. In the current state of the mod there are several overlaps between the main and alternate pack and the end goal is to have two separate looks. I have been collaborating with HuginBlar and we have re-designed the Catcher, Crabby, Emperor, Eyes, Deathfly, Hornet. Moth, Prince, Snipper, and Viridula to be organic looking for the main pack so far. We still have to replace seven more so no real eta on the release but it is a work in progress.

Also I have successfully incorporated Harmful Mechanic's code and am in the middle of testing it. Sorry steve1592 for not having a fix out yesterday as I said I would as it was more complicated that I assumed and testing each faction to ensure a Vengeful lockdown is a bit time consuming but that WILL be included when I release the new organic ships.

As an ancillary note, I am thinking of making the alternate weapon pack just the base weapons because I think that Sparranova's art is superior to mine so any thoughts from Hiver Swarm users on that would be appreciated.

steve1592

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 30, 2022, 09:34:36 AM »

No worries, keep up the good work.

steve1592

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 05, 2023, 02:29:55 PM »

eagerly awaiting the new update, and perhaps if you are gaining access addtional weapon models perhaps you can add some more weapons to the hiver arsenal :) and make use of the art assets.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2023, 04:22:38 PM »

eagerly awaiting the new update
So am I, so much work has been put into this update I want to share it asap. We have the Caelifera, Catcher, Ceruchu, Cleridae, Crabby, Emperor, Eyes, Deathfly, Hornet, Lucanidae, Moth, Prince, Scarabaeus, Scarab, Snipper, Viridan, Viridula replaced with organic looking versions. We still have 4 more to go and I have some code work to do so I cannot give an estimated release date yet but free time to work on the mod is opening up now that the holidays have passed.
perhaps if you are gaining access addtional weapon models perhaps you can add some more weapons to the hiver arsenal :) and make use of the art assets.
Well I am thinking of using the sprites from Sparranova donation that I use on the alternate weapon pack but if time allows we may make more organic looking versions. As to adding to their arsenal, they currently rely on energy pulse weapons and missiles. I do not see them using ballistic but I could see maybe a beam. Either way, if I add more weapons it would have to be unique to their current lineup. I have not given it much thought yet but I would welcome ideas that are Hiver lore friendly.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 41