Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 41

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24  (Read 235886 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Hiver Swarm - V0.97 - 07/13/22
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2022, 08:33:06 AM »

*Kills Legio Fleet*
Hiver's who hate everyone: Here's 1.5K in bounty payment.
Me: Uh... Thanks.
As far as the bounty payments, I have them flagged to not offer them and to hate everyone including the player so In theory it should not happen. However, it does occur occasionally and I have yet to figure out how to disable it fully. Sort of a lingering issue that is still a work in progress. I left it on the bottom of the list since it does not raise your reputation with them, that is hard capped. I'll reach out to Histidine, who was kind enough to help me with other NEX interactions and see if they can give me some insight.
Edit: Are hiver ship blue prints supposed to be discoverable?
The blue prints have been an ongoing tweak over the course of the mod. Originally I had them discoverable as any other, then I turned them off, then made them re-discoverable but broke them up into several blueprint packages and finally I blacklisted them from the prism freeport. All changes based on player feedback. Some players want them, others do not so this was the best compromise I could think of. I made them harder to get for those that want to discover them and I figured for the players that got them but did not want them, well they could just not use them.

5ColouredWalker

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2022, 03:38:05 PM »

Bounties do raise reputation, but given it shoots back down on sight that's not relevant. The managed to post a global bounty and then shortly after that a regular one, but if it's being worked on it's being worked on.

As for the blueprints, while it's hilarious I found them on the opposite side of the sector, I've changed them to the optional ship set which fortunately works mid game and I might try them later.

Sicariau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2022, 05:35:52 PM »

any idea what could cause them to spawn in the core worlds?

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2022, 07:06:29 PM »

I am unsure what you are referring to. In the last patch I moved their third system to the side of the map the first two are so there should be no trade travel across the core. They do conquer core worlds so perhaps you are seeing fleets spawn from a system that has has changed to Hiver. Some clarification would be appreciated so I can answer in better detail.

Sicariau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2022, 08:39:56 PM »

I am unsure what you are referring to. In the last patch I moved their third system to the side of the map the first two are so there should be no trade travel across the core. They do conquer core worlds so perhaps you are seeing fleets spawn from a system that has has changed to Hiver. Some clarification would be appreciated so I can answer in better detail.

sorry i should have been more clear.

ive played the mod before. it worked fine. i uninstalled for a few months before recently pulling it up again.  this time, when i loaded in a new game the hive home world spawned in the core systems from the beginning of the game. i tried to start a new game to test it again and same result. a little  more info: it was the derelict custom scenario included in nex and i have several other faction and QoL mods installed.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2022, 04:07:16 AM »

Ah ok thank you for the details, that clears things up. A mod maker can only stipulate the position of their faction in a standard game. If you are playing with random core worlds, a must to play the derelict scenario, then yes they can appear anywhere like any other faction. Random is Random.

Personally I enjoy when I play that scenario and they spawn in the same system as Hegemony. Constant battling and if you are sneaky sneak enough, there is treasure galore to scavenge. :)

Sicariau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2022, 02:05:38 PM »

Ah ok thank you for the details, that clears things up. A mod maker can only stipulate the position of their faction in a standard game. If you are playing with random core worlds, a must to play the derelict scenario, then yes they can appear anywhere like any other faction. Random is Random.

Personally I enjoy when I play that scenario and they spawn in the same system as Hegemony. Constant battling and if you are sneaky sneak enough, there is treasure galore to scavenge. :)
cheers. great mod by the way

Sicariau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2022, 02:08:08 PM »

i wish there was a way to have them spawn after like 50 years or something, like a stellaris mid game crisis

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2022, 02:49:31 PM »

Would be a nice feature but not possible to me knowledge. I did put them so far from the core so you can pretty much ignore them until you are ready, say midgame, as a compromise. Enjoy!

5ColouredWalker

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2022, 07:48:24 PM »

Arriving as a small faction should be possible, there's a mod that adds a Sci based faction that arives to the rin then swaps them with a AI faction latter from memory. But maybe the Sci ones there from the start and they swap, which means having a place holder faction. Perhaps peaceful bugs until poked?
I'll try to find that mod after work.

Sicariau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2022, 04:41:12 PM »

Arriving as a small faction should be possible, there's a mod that adds a Sci based faction that arives to the rin then swaps them with a AI faction latter from memory. But maybe the Sci ones there from the start and they swap, which means having a place holder faction. Perhaps peaceful bugs until poked?
I'll try to find that mod after work.
thats a cool idea. have some flavor text if you find them early, "these bugs appear to me newly arrived to the sector, busy working on... something" then make them really aggressive expansionists
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 04:50:36 PM by Sicariau »

5ColouredWalker

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2022, 09:54:17 PM »

The mod is Vayra's sector (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058.0).
While the modes defunct Vayra may be contactable.

5ColouredWalker

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2022, 02:10:12 PM »

Just noticed a couple of the Hiver Swarm ships are ludicrously cheap, particularly the Swallowtail and Princess Heavy Cruisers which both run in the 20K range , being cheaper than destroyer level freighters. Just something I noticed during a build slot event. It also might be worth changing their Tag from High Tech to Hiver Swarm.

strinn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2022, 01:55:27 PM »

So I've done close to a full playthrough with this mod, and I have to say that it's still not very balanced after the last patch.

My biggest problem with the mod is that the added ships feel like they have no weaknesses. Many ships have strong shields, absurd levels of armor, strong hulls, damage boosting systems, lots of weapon slots, maneuverability, and speed. Missiles track targets indefinitely while dealing large amounts of damage and being shot in large numbers and being fast enough to track a Scarab, which makes them more threatening than Reapers even at their optimal distance. Fighters are too tough due to having both shields a lot of armor/hull while being able to deal absurd amounts of damage, especially through missile barrages, which some of them have multiple of by the way, unlike vanilla fighters and bombers that have to come back to the carrier to replenish theirs. Many of the carriers also have strong frontal weapons and good maneuverability which are things that carriers are meant to lack. Phase ships either have too much flux capacity, due to which they can stay phased much longer than they should reasonably be allowed to.

Comparing them to the [REDACTED], the [REDACTED] don't have strong fighters/interceptors or bombers since they die quite fast, many of their ships don't have good burst damage, many of them don't have good enough maneuverability, mobility, and tankiness to get out of dangerous situations, most of their systems only improve survivability and mobility slightly (like the flare launcher on the brilliant). Hiver ships have very few, if any, of those weaknesses.

In my current game, I'm playing with ScalarTech ships which are able to reliably enough destroy Hiver fleets since the ships are balanced well enough around the stronger vanilla ships, but I don't even know if killing Hive fleets would be possible while playing as a weaker faction like Diable Avionics where ships rely on grinding out the enemy, fragile strike craft, and burst damage high-cost weapons because of the high shield and armor/hull values, hull regeneration, and high density of fire + strong point defense weapons.

The idea of the mod is cool and I have definitely enjoyed trying to come up with strategies against them, but I don't think I'll be using this mod in my next playthroughs because the Hivers' fleets ultimately just aren't fun to play against

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2022, 11:01:46 AM »

hi some comments from first playthrough:

1. Yeesh my starting system had a Hiver planet, and two faction planets.  It was very entertaining to watch the local patrols engage and then jump in on the battles...and view just how nasty the Hiver ships are.  I stayed and helped/fought long enough to get a story point and capture a Hiver destroyer.  Boy was that a power up.  By that time, the patrols were mostly gone and I had to leave the system. 

Before I could return and do some more coop farming...the factions had reinforced much quicker and took that colony. 

2.  Yes, Hivers are designed to be an Almost-Grand Menace and are balanced as such.  Like, as in Hivers can out duel two or three similar ships.  And, they all regenerate (even the fighters IIRC?).  As prizes, it's a tossup on what I find more valuable:  their repairing hulls, or the super efficient weapons.  I guess the nod goes to the weapons.

Hivers are well worth hunting...but I almost never engaged them alone.  I would go in as support for another faction.

3.  In terms of Nexerelin 4x:  just about every other faction jumped on the Hivers and took most of their worlds early.  I never heard much from them after the mid-game.  I will even have to check to see if they are still around.  I haven't seen a "news event" concerning the Hivers in many many months.

4.  If it is possible:  I would prevent Hiver weapons from ever showing up in store inventories.  Their weapons should only be obtainable via salvage from a derelict or post-battle salvage.  However I should note that I've only see very, very rare instances of Hiver weapons in stores.  But boy do I stop what I'm doing and consider the purchase.  The few I've seen, especially the large weapons, are worth twice anything else.

5.  To help the Hivers against the "Nexerelin dog pile", in random game creation:  do the Hiver have now, or could have later:  a secondary capital that is NOT in the core world radius?  I suppose the balancing act is "if we make Hivers too powerful then every time we include them in a random game...they just take over" sort of thing?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 41