Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 41

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24  (Read 242215 times)

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile

Hello there, I do not believe a request is against the TOS and anyway I keep old versions of my mods so it is not a problem. I hosted a version of 1.08a on dropbox for you, here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u21q884qefqh6vb/Hiver%20Swarm%201.08a.rar?dl=0

Enjoy!
Major thanks, @Dazs!

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You're missing an entry in an i18n file.
Unknown string: HIVER_asteroidfield2
Well hello there KDR_11k thank you for the report but I am a little confused regarding it. From what I know, i18n deals with language localizations and translations to regional locales. I am unsure how that applies to the second asteroid field in Zesketet though, especially since the first one uses the same structure:

Code
		SectorEntityToken Bugfield1 = system.addTerrain(Terrain.ASTEROID_FIELD, 
new AsteroidFieldTerrainPlugin.AsteroidFieldParams(500f, 700f, 30, 40, 4f, 24f, txt("HIVER_asteroidfield1")));

SectorEntityToken Bugfield2 = system.addTerrain(Terrain.ASTEROID_FIELD,
new AsteroidFieldTerrainPlugin.AsteroidFieldParams(500f, 700f, 30, 40, 4f, 24f, txt("HIVER_asteroidfield2")));

I do have them overlapping though so I could separate them if that is what you are reporting. Some clarity would help me better diagnose and address the issue.

In the status bar at the bottom where it shows what terrains you're in it showed that while I was in the asteroid field. I'm seeing a description text in descriptions.csv but that reads more like a longer form explanation, not a short name and checking other mods I can't seem to find any asteroid fields and such in their descriptions.csv. Not sure where those texts go.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

In the status bar at the bottom where it shows what terrains you're in it showed that while I was in the asteroid field. I'm seeing a description text in descriptions.csv but that reads more like a longer form explanation, not a short name and checking other mods I can't seem to find any asteroid fields and such in their descriptions.csv. Not sure where those texts go.

OK thank you for the update. When you hover over the field is should read, "The remains of a small moon that collided with a rogue comet." Are you stating that it says, "HIVER_asteroidfield2"?

CoralCrust

• Ensign
    • View Profile

An absolutely amazing mod that I would consider a must-have in a playthrough (because space bugs trying to take over the sector and you trying to stop them is cool).

One thing that I would love to see added though would be the option to remove Hivers from market lists so that suggested trade routes aren't flooded with 90% Hiver space because that's what the game considers most profitable. It makes trading fairly annoying, even more so while using StelNet (up to about 95% of the most profitable routes are shown as Hiver-Hiver), and since the faction is hostile to everyone and won't trade with you no matter what, it just clutters market screens. However, if there's a DIY fix for this, let me know.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

An absolutely amazing mod that I would consider a must-have in a playthrough (because space bugs trying to take over the sector and you trying to stop them is cool).
You have no idea how happy that makes me, thank you!
One thing that I would love to see added though would be the option to remove Hivers from market lists so that suggested trade routes aren't flooded with 90% Hiver space because that's what the game considers most profitable. It makes trading fairly annoying, even more so while using StelNet (up to about 95% of the most profitable routes are shown as Hiver-Hiver), and since the faction is hostile to everyone and won't trade with you no matter what, it just clutters market screens. However, if there's a DIY fix for this, let me know.
OH I agree 100%. I did reach out to Histidine to see if it could be done through Nex to hide their markets a couple patches back but it had the unintended consequence of them not being able to trade with each other and gutting their fleets so I had to reverse that change. I also asked Jaghaimo if a blacklist for commodities could be added to StelNet and I was told it would be looked into but that was weeks ago. It is on the to-do list for Hiver but I have not looked into it lately so maybe somewhere in the .96a notes there is an answer. Time to Bug hunt! :)

Talinoth

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Lmao I'm not sure what combination of mods is causing this behaviour, but I became "friendly" (now Cooperative lmao) somehow to Hivers quite early on in my playthrough (probably because I've been kicking the *** out of a laundry list of human factions who Hivers are all Vengeful to) and the Hivers let me dock at their planets. Not that I've abused this feature until quite late in the game - I'm 8 cycles in so I didn't abuse it for easy cash early. Maybe it's Starpocalypse, Nexerelin, or whatever mod gives you +faction relationship when you win impressive victories?

Glad I didn't abuse the trade margins early... Hiver planets have extremely low Accessibility scores, so you can make killer trade deals by buying up the insane commodity surpluses and running them wherever there isn't a surplus (planets with deficits are nice but not necessary to secure profits). I just went from nearly 0 credits (developing 5 colonies at once will do that to you) to 3.5 million quite quickly.
You don't even need to directly betray humanity to make killer profits. Just sell to the Black Market for any planet they capture to make incredible profits.

Militarily, I like the balance of power they're at in my game. I'm running with 12 or 13 modded factions (thereabouts? lost track) and the Hivers do send plenty of invasions but they regularly lose or get their temporary holdings in the Core Worlds wiped quite quickly. I think they did succeed in 1 or 2 satbombings, but only on weak markets (poor Rust Belt RIP). Their core territories are intact - countless invasions get sent, some succeed, but they never hold the planet in question - but I did see one planet get decivilised because it got bullied too much. Still, in an 8 cycle playthrough they're holding really well. Chozanti is currently surrounded by 5 Persean League fleets alone and more faction fleets are on the way, but nevertheless the Hivers are remaining steady. A good balance.

In battle, Hivers weren't what I expected (I fought a few 300k+ bounties). Point-defense is of course extremely necessary due to the high number of battlecarriers, but their ships are a bit more... slow and elite, instead of fast and numerous than I expected. If you're not using an overwhelming number of fighters that EMP Emitter system half of their ships have will rip them to pieces, their energy weapons are extremely efficient and they have armour basically equivalent to 1 ship class higher - so I found an early game UAF frigates + carriers warband was very ill suited for facing them. Ballistics did poor damage and just got armour-tanked, fighters couldn't survive the approach or land serious damage. Despite their lack of raw forward speed (compared to say Pathers, Remnant or Mess swarms) they're extremely maneuverable, so trying to flank them was just worthless and they're extremely deadly in a brawl. Survival came down to "run, shoot, don't get caught".

That was early game. Later, I've found Hiver ships are not particularly resistant to bomber salvos or missile ships. A cursed Astral I salvaged was the perfect "f*** you in particular" to wipe any Hiver ship off the board at little risk to the bombers (EMP Emitter can't 1 shot them all if they just get recalled before flying into range), and a ship with a strong long-range alpha strike (like UAF's Purcellyra) wipes them off the board. The only trick is that whatever you hold the line with needs to be really tough. A very feast-or-famine faction.
The rewards for fighting them are good - the weapons alone covered the cost of repairing ships, let alone the bounties. Comparable with fighting Remnant then selling the Gamma Cores to Tri-Tach actually. Compare that to fighting prv Starwork's Agni (as much pain or more, but the weapons are worth very little) and the Hivers are an asset to the player even if they're not allied to them.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Good morning Talinoth. I took one look at your post and thought, um a second cup of coffee is needed :)
Lmao I'm not sure what combination of mods is causing this behaviour, but I became "friendly" (now Cooperative lmao) somehow to Hivers quite early on in my playthrough (probably because I've been kicking the *** out of a laundry list of human factions who Hivers are all Vengeful to) and the Hivers let me dock at their planets. Not that I've abused this feature until quite late in the game - I'm 8 cycles in so I didn't abuse it for easy cash early. Maybe it's Starpocalypse, Nexerelin, or whatever mod gives you +faction relationship when you win impressive victories?
I do have code in the mod that if a player reaches neutral then it automatically resets to vengeful. I guess in theory you could gain enough reputation that the game just jumps over neutral and right to friendly if you are using a mod that gives huge chunks of rep gain, you mention Starpocalypse and I do not use that so it may be that. Either way that is not an intended behavior of the mod unless you flag then as a starting faction as described in the README.
Glad I didn't abuse the trade margins early... Hiver planets have extremely low Accessibility scores, so you can make killer trade deals by buying up the insane commodity surpluses and running them wherever there isn't a surplus (planets with deficits are nice but not necessary to secure profits). I just went from nearly 0 credits (developing 5 colonies at once will do that to you) to 3.5 million quite quickly.
You don't even need to directly betray humanity to make killer profits. Just sell to the Black Market for any planet they capture to make incredible profits.
That is not something I considered but it does sound correct. Since I have them flagged as enemies to all and located way outside of the normal trade routes, I gave them a closed loop economy. That results in stockpiling on some commodities in order to cover any shortfalls. That way they can always afford their invasion and colony fleets w/out trading with another faction to generate revenue. As to the black market well that is risk/reward since there are numerous patrols in their systems and if one spots you then they all come a runnin! :)
Militarily, I like the balance of power they're at in my game. I'm running with 12 or 13 modded factions (thereabouts? lost track) and the Hivers do send plenty of invasions but they regularly lose or get their temporary holdings in the Core Worlds wiped quite quickly. I think they did succeed in 1 or 2 satbombings, but only on weak markets (poor Rust Belt RIP). Their core territories are intact - countless invasions get sent, some succeed, but they never hold the planet in question - but I did see one planet get decivilised because it got bullied too much. Still, in an 8 cycle playthrough they're holding really well. Chozanti is currently surrounded by 5 Persean League fleets alone and more faction fleets are on the way, but nevertheless the Hivers are remaining steady. A good balance.
They aren't conquers in the sense of taking over systems, that would be way too OP too fast. Instead they sat bomb and decivilize settled planets to hurt another faction's economy. It takes a long time to "heal" those wounds. Think of it as a blitzkrieg strategy where they just clear the area of the humans while they only take the choice worlds.
In battle, Hivers weren't what I expected (I fought a few 300k+ bounties). Point-defense is of course extremely necessary due to the high number of battlecarriers, but their ships are a bit more... slow and elite, instead of fast and numerous than I expected. If you're not using an overwhelming number of fighters that EMP Emitter system half of their ships have will rip them to pieces, their energy weapons are extremely efficient and they have armour basically equivalent to 1 ship class higher - so I found an early game UAF frigates + carriers warband was very ill suited for facing them. Ballistics did poor damage and just got armour-tanked, fighters couldn't survive the approach or land serious damage. Despite their lack of raw forward speed (compared to say Pathers, Remnant or Mess swarms) they're extremely maneuverable, so trying to flank them was just worthless and they're extremely deadly in a brawl. Survival came down to "run, shoot, don't get caught".
I have gotten that in the past where by using the word "swarm" they thought it meant fleets full of small ships engulfing your fleet. I use it in the sense that they have multiple invasions going on at once and they focus on swarms of fighters/bombers. Your breakdown on how to fight them is pretty much on point. I do have a strategy guide on the forum OP under spoilers that has one or two addition points you may consider reading.
That was early game. Later, I've found Hiver ships are not particularly resistant to bomber salvos or missile ships. A cursed Astral I salvaged was the perfect "f*** you in particular" to wipe any Hiver ship off the board at little risk to the bombers (EMP Emitter can't 1 shot them all if they just get recalled before flying into range), and a ship with a strong long-range alpha strike (like UAF's Purcellyra) wipes them off the board. The only trick is that whatever you hold the line with needs to be really tough. A very feast-or-famine faction.
I do not personally use UAF but I do read that players consider them overpowered and the perfect HIVER counter.
The rewards for fighting them are good - the weapons alone covered the cost of repairing ships, let alone the bounties. Comparable with fighting Remnant then selling the Gamma Cores to Tri-Tach actually. Compare that to fighting prv Starwork's Agni (as much pain or more, but the weapons are worth very little) and the Hivers are an asset to the player even if they're not allied to them.
I have balanced that risk/reward several times and I think I have it correct now. The Agni are a different thing entirely, they do not migrate, colonize or invade but I do enjoy Prav's implementation of them. Overall I wanted the Hivers to be a fun faction to grind against mid game to gain experience and cash and then once eliminated you are ready to take on the big bad Doritos!

Thank you so much for taking the time to type all this. I enjoyed reading through your analysis as I sipped my second cup.

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hi, I love your mods.

I have been enjoying playing with this mod. I decided with a new game, I wanted to enable them to be playable. Following along with the instructions I reach the last part to add in Replacement Ships.rar. I originally had no intention of adding them but wanted to see them as an option worth considering so I unzipped them and was shocked at how awesome they look! Great job to who ever did them.

Now my question is, could you make it possible to add them in side along side your original bug designs? (Maybe with some configs you could copy and paste over the other files). In my mind the lore is there are small worker bugs that although are not space worthy they can construct ships and man them, to support the hive. I feel it is a waste for them to go to waste sitting on the side lines, and I do not want to get rid of the Zurg like bugs that I enjoy the idea of, finally aliens in the game!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hi, I love your mods.
OH so YOU are the one :) - For real though first off good morning and I truly appreciate the kind words, thank you.
I have been enjoying playing with this mod. I decided with a new game, I wanted to enable them to be playable. Following along with the instructions I reach the last part to add in Replacement Ships.rar.
The playable option was a player request some patches ago. I am happy to hear you have not run into any issues because I do not play them and I was worried that bugs (jk) may have crept in since I have not tested the option in some time.
I originally had no intention of adding them but wanted to see them as an option worth considering so I unzipped them and was shocked at how awesome they look! Great job to who ever did them.
The replacement ships started off as some free to use images on spiral arms that was posted by Prontus the mod creator of RED and BLUE (both great mods imo). I then color shifted them to a more insect looking shade and cut them apart. I then took the pieces and "kit bashed" them into what I thought were shapes that mimicked the main pack. That was quite the pickle jar to open but in the end I thought it was worth it. You have no idea what it means to me that you like them so much as you are the only player who has positively commented on them :)
Now my question is, could you make it possible to add them in side along side your original bug designs? (Maybe with some configs you could copy and paste over the other files).
The original line up of Hiver ships had a mix of biological and mechanical and were pretty much taken from spiral arms with little modification as I had no idea what I doing at them time. Over time and with the help of Hyperion505 and HuginBlar I was able to replace all the mechanicals with biologicals. I was then messaged by some players that they do not like bugs on their screen and some that liked that the mechanicals so that is why I separated them into two separate packs. In order to have them side by side it would require a doubling up of their lineup since, code wise, they are the same ship with the same stats and loadouts. At best, you could decide which ones you would like to replace in the main pack and then mix/match the images, .ship and .variant files.
In my mind the lore is there are small worker bugs that although are not space worthy they can construct ships and man them, to support the hive.
That is the the actual lore for them, they are not a race of giant insects. Their technology is organically based so they essentially CRISPR and grow their ships and weapons.
I feel it is a waste for them to go to waste sitting on the side lines, and I do not want to get rid of the Zurg like bugs that I enjoy the idea of, finally aliens in the game!
I am unsure what you mean by going to waste sitting on the side lines, in my games they are very active. The Zurg are certainly an analog along with the Tyranids from their respective IPs. The Hiver concept originates from a game called Sword of the Stars which I adore. As to aliens in the game I felt it was a lacking feature but I do respect Alex's stance on the matter. There is another alien race, the Agni in the mod prv Starwork (another banger mod). They are not aggressive like the Hivers so you won't see them invading but if you stumble across them they are quite the challenge.

Thank you for taking the time to post all this, I sort of needed it. I was working on a potential update to JYD and did a discord search for some ideas. I was really bummed at all the negativity I saw regarding my mods and myself personally and it sucked the life out of my desire to mod and even play the game. It means so much to me when I get a kind word! :)

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile

I feel it is a waste for them to go to waste sitting on the side lines, and I do not want to get rid of the Zurg like bugs that I enjoy the idea of, finally aliens in the game!

What I meant by that was you have these awesome ships not being used, it feels like a waste of potential. I should of broken up that sentence with a full stop as it was two trains of thought.

I reverted back to the default setting, removing and re-adding the mod. I followed the steps exactly but it crashed on start up, I forgot the error, something about a missile missing or something. I forgot and was to lazy at the time to report it (got busy with real life), sorry. You can try it on your side and should get the same crash as I did.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Well that is nice to hear and a good morning to you! Alex has stated publicly that the Corvus sector is Human and their AI creations that went out of control only. That is fine and I respect the vision but I found the pirates to be too easy after I was established with a base and the Remnant too hard to tackle other than scouting parties. Thus Hiver Swarm was born, I wanted to add an enemy that was not already in the game that a player can level and gear up with in order to get to the endgame. So I placed them so far away to give players a chance to establish themselves before the madness begins. That is why I label them a mid-game threat and if I put them closer they would really tear the sector apart before the factions were ready for them much less the player. I do hope that I correctly understood what you meant by the sidelines and addressed it, if not please clarify assuming you got through that TLDR :)
What I meant by that was you have these awesome ships not being used, it feels like a waste of potential. I should of broken up that sentence with a full stop as it was two trains of thought.
OH well I already typed the above so lets just let that sit there :) - As to the ships, I had thought of using them to make a playable cyborg faction that would keep them within Alex's standards since it is a mix of human and AI. Thing is, I already have six mods and although the ships are already made (I'd color shift them) I am unsure I could keep up with a seventh. Plus Prontus already has the RED which is in that vein already and the Hiver mechanical pack is sourced from his leftovers on spiral arms so I did not want to infringe.
I reverted back to the default setting, removing and re-adding the mod. I followed the steps exactly but it crashed on start up, I forgot the error, something about a missile missing or something. I forgot and was to lazy at the time to report it (got busy with real life), sorry. You can try it on your side and should get the same crash as I did.
Hmm ok, at a guess, I added a missile in the main pack and neglected to add it in the alternate pack images to match the data files.

Thank you so much for the follow up. I too am swamped at the moment but I can take a look under the hood and see what it is. I could possibly have a fix by this weekend but know it is a mod tinker priority over the other five.

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile

I totally understand about you having to many mods. XD I use them all.

I was thinking, clone your settings for the bugs (already have the mod in place, just change place location and images) but tweak them into Borgs and make the sitting at the bottom right of the screen for the Cyborgs location. Eventually it might just become Bugs vs Borgs = meeting in the middle. Sounds epic in my mind.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I totally understand about you having to many mods. XD I use them all.
<3 I appreciate the fandom, I sometimes wonder if I made the mods just for my personal use lol.
I was thinking, clone your settings for the bugs (already have the mod in place, just change place location and images) but tweak them into Borgs and make the sitting at the bottom right of the screen for the Cyborgs location. Eventually it might just become Bugs vs Borgs = meeting in the middle. Sounds epic in my mind.
Actually a good idea but I am sure there are users of the mod that would prefer to keep the mechanical pack as part of Hiver as it was a frequently requested feature in the past. From what I have read, not sure because I do not use it, the UAF mod is really good at taking out the Hivers. Your enthusiasm for the idea has gotten my attention though but but could discord handle yet ANOTHER Dazs mod before it explodes??!! 

Richared

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Okay, I'm probably a moron, but how exactly do I

Richared

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Okay, I'm probably a moron, but how exactly do I

Please excuise that, I accidentally fat fingered enter, but I was asking EXACTLY what files to modify to make their stuff purchasable
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 41