Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Dun Scaith loadout?  (Read 2690 times)

Havoc

• Commander
    • View Profile
Dun Scaith loadout?
« on: November 14, 2021, 11:04:03 AM »

hi, I need some tips for a good Dun Scaith loadout
 have some mods
{"enabledMods": [
  "pantera_ANewLevel25",
  "lw_autosave",
  "better_deserving_smods",
  "CaptainsLog",
  "chatter",
  "timid_commissioned_hull_mods",
  "lw_console",
  "diyplanets",
  "DetailedCombatResults",
  "diableavionics",
  "dynamictariffs",
  "sun_fuel_siphoning",
  "IndEvo",
  "lw_lazylib",
  "MagicLib",
  "Mayasuran Navy",
  "more_hullmods",
  "nexerelin",
  "TAR",
  "roider",
  "sanguinary_autonomist_defectors",
  "sun_starship_legends",
  "timid_supply_forging",
  "tahlan",
  "Terraforming and Station Construction",
  "vic",
  "vayrashippack",
  "shaderLib"
]}

actually only 4x Mark IX Autocannon , 2x Devastator, the one of right side is more to the front
2x Xyphos fighters,
4x dmod :/
1 smod, repairs for hull repair with better smod mod
Reinforced Bulkheads
Auxiliary Thrusters
aggressive ai pilot

I need an loadout vs Ordos and Hegemony :D

other ships in my fleet are ~6x Glimmer (playing as Marasuyan, so +10%cr, I hope)
and other ships are frigates like 1 Scarab, 1 Mako bomber (flagship), Tiburo, Omen

my skills are mixed
a bit blue for automated ships , a bit green for wolf tactics

next point will be for removing 1 dmod each month

not so much credits, ~70k each month (pirates -+0, so friendly, but no bounty hunting because of that)
have only 2 money making colonies, and 2 for more fleet with hot planet, no atmosphere
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 11:45:12 AM by Havoc »

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
Re: Dun Scaith loadout?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 06:16:33 PM »

I see no mention of a Dun Scaith in the vanilla game's Codex.  ???

If this is modded content you're referring to, it's likely best to post your query on the Modding forum in the thread dedicated to whatever mod it belongs to. That way, others playing the same mod who look in the correct thread will find your query and the resulting info will be located centrally with all other conversations about that mod.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 06:55:51 PM »

There is nothing wrong with posting a mod-related thread in General Discussion.

You'd get more replies with a pic of your refit screen, Havoc. I for one don't remember off-hand what a Dun Scaith is or even what mod it is from. Posting on the unofficial Discord's dry_dock channel instead will get you more/faster replies, too.

Havoc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 10:16:52 AM »

here it is:
now with storm needlers and my actual fleet are 10 Glimmer 50%CR with gammas

edit: the 2 guns on center slots are dual railgun GH I think, something medium ballistics with 1100 range

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 11:18:14 AM by Havoc »

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 06:07:27 PM »

You need some HE damage, and not devastators. At the very least replace all salamander pods with harpoons, you have enough disabling power with 2 xyphos wings (really good choice, by the way).

I don't know how efficient the built-in kinetics are, but since this is a mod ship they are probably overpowered as hell.  :D
As such, I wouldn't use storm needlers.

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 07:19:48 PM »

Recently got an S-Modded dun scaith from an invasion fleet, and this is my fit as far as weapons go:

I think weapons are the part you really want help with, so i'm focusing on what my choices were there.
Twin Mjolnirs: while very flux-hungry, they are extremely powerful so with the pretty solid flux stats of the dun scaith it's just about worth it imo.
GH large kinetics behind them for support in taking down shields, any kinetic would work here, even using MK-IX's would be fine imo, i just picked these because they have long range and i know how longer range guns are better for AI usage.
I left the side larges empty because they have awkward arcs, and i decided to focus on frontal damage output.
Rear large is a devastator for optimal fighter deletion.

Medium composites are heavy autocannons because that's all i had available at the time and wanted to be sure i had enough kinetic damage, but making them more missiles might be a good idea to save on flux usage.

For the missile mounts i left the frontal annihilators on there, and (so far) they seem a pretty solid choice, can catch some inbound enemy fire and provide decent HE pressure as well.
The side ones are karions, because that bit of added EMP pressure is nice, but salamanders (as you have) would be a perfectly viable (and lower OP) option.

The front Small ballistics are longish range kinetics, so railguns or any GH/other mod equivalent would work well here, this was just  me wanting to be super sure that i had enough kinetic damage output.
All other small weapons are either vulcans or vulcan equivalent, just to give all around PD coverage where the devastator doesn't reach, i only filled some slots because i was both low on OP, and didn't feel like i needed all of them filled for safe PD levels.
You might want to make your frontal smalls PD rather than kinetic as that will be saner+safer, and also less flux intensive.

----

Looking at your loadout, what I personally would change:

Front most larges from needlers to mjolnirs (or a similar modded weapon)
Next row of larges to use your MK-IX's
Leave the side larges empty
Rear large to a devastator
Front missiles to annihilators (any other HE finishing missile might be a good choice, but annihilators provide other utility as well so i kind of like them in those mounts)

Unsure how much (if any) OP would be left free after these changes, but you could easily just dump it into capacitors, or add flak cannons in the side larges, whatever works for you.

Everything else, i'd have no issue with leaving as-is, Xyphos provide some PD cover and close range EMP
The medium GH railguns are a solid option for those medium mounts, with their long range letting them fire when the guns in the mounts that are further forwards get into range.
You have a decent spread of vulcan coverage.
And salamanders can be very nice to have, so I can't complain about them.

At the very least replace all salamander pods with harpoons, you have enough disabling power with 2 xyphos wings
Xyphos only has 1000 range, so it's not going to be in range of enemies when you're in a long range slugging match, and with how salamanders are engine-seeking, i feel like they fill slightly different roles in the disabling front, Xyphos being short range "general" disablers, while Salamanders are longer ranged engine-focused disablers.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 09:37:30 PM »

Xyphos has built-in advanced optics, so the ion beams are 1200 range. Mjolnirs with ITU are 1260.

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »

Xyphos has built-in advanced optics, so the ion beams are 1200 range. Mjolnirs with ITU are 1260.
Ok, that's my mistake there, forgot about that.
But:
1: Captial ITU is 60%, which gives (900*1.6) 1440 range on a mjolnir.
2: If the captain of the ship has Gunnery Implants, then the Mjolnir will get an extra +15% range, which by my math would end up at (900*1.75) 1575 range.
3: Xyphos is a support fighter, and I find that those like to sit behind their parent ship, effectively reducing their range by the length of the parent ship. (which can be taken as at least a 2-300 range reduction in practical terms)

With these combined, even accounting for Xyphos having Advanced Optics, you get effectively somewhere from 5-700 more range out of a Mjolnir.

Havoc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 12:28:59 PM »

'I have tested similar loadout with mjolnir on front
not happy yet, because I have no carriers, so my dun scaith was also antifighter with devastator before

I will buy 2-3 carrier and test again

btw. which carrier system is for what?(
heron(targeting field?)->kinetic bomber
astral(recall device)->bomber
drover(reserve depl.)->fighter or kopesh

edit: have now heron(M) with 3 wings  kopesh(M) and Vic carrier with 4x thunders(not sure if thunders are good for that ship)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 06:33:37 AM by Havoc »

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 01:27:50 PM »

Recently got an S-Modded dun scaith from an invasion fleet, and this is my fit as far as weapons go:

Sin.
My mods: Tahlan Shipworks - ScalarTech Solutions - Trailer Moments
It's all in the presentation

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 05:57:42 PM »

Sin.
I'm not hugely used to outfitting lowtech capitals tbh, so you're lucky i didn't do something like this:
Sin
[close]