Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: [0.96a] Forge Production v1.1.3  (Read 132038 times)

Ontheheavens

• Commander
    • View Profile
[0.96a] Forge Production v1.1.3
« on: November 14, 2021, 08:35:56 AM »

Requires no libraries.
Cannot be removed from games in which it was already used.

Important: consider leaving a star for the repo if you appreciate this project.

Summary:
  • Acquire production hullmods from derelict mothership.
  • Use their production capacities to make supplies, fuel, machinery and ships from raw resources.
  • Consult tooltips for detailed information about production processes.
  • Manage production with comprehensive ability toggle.
  • Bring up control panel with a hotkey for even finer regulation.
  • Open settings file in mod folder to adjust features to your liking.
  • Employ bundled conversions spreadsheet to plan your ratios adjustments.

Content:

Preview
[close]

Acquisition:

Preview
[close]

Information:

Spreadsheet

Note: This is a preview. Interactive spreadsheet file is in the mod folder.

[close]
Changelog
v.1.1.3
  • Fixed signature mismatch for addImageWithText().
v.1.1.2
  • Hopefully fixed a bug with resetting module configs.
  • Added skins to the blueprint chooser.
v.1.1.1
  • Hopefully fixed a bug with repeating mothership interactions.
  • Added a setting for unlock of ability and hullmods at game start.
  • Added a setting to disable hull production limitations.
v.1.1.0
  • New feature: Control panel, which allows for toggling of individual production capacities. No more setting repairs suspension!
  • New feature: Hull parts production capacity - can produce some derelict and low tech frigates at a steep cost, requires having Salvage Rigs.
  • New feature: Plausible way of obtaining hullmods - salvage from derelict Motherships. Hullmods are now unobtainable via normal drop or markets.
  • Re-designed and rewritten mod internals - this update is most certainly guaranteed to break your saves.
  • Reshuffled and removed some superficial settings.
  • Production report message icon no longer clickable and doesn't take you to intel tab anymore.
  • Production now also has a chance to trigger fatal incidents which result in a loss of crew, similar to breakdowns.
  • Redone pretty much every tooltip - hullmods, ability, report.
  • Removed civgrade and cargo restrictions, replaced with CR malus.
  • Included interactive production values spreadsheet in release package - might be a help in making settings adjustments.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 07:21:17 AM by Ontheheavens »

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Forge Production v1.0.1
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 11:47:21 AM »

Awesome! You should take your icon that you made for the ability and use that inside your signature line. Looks pro.

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 01:51:01 PM »

Very cool.
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

Mephansteras

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 09:44:46 AM »

Oooh, I've been considering doing something like this for some ships in the pack I'm making. Would you have any issues with me integrating your work into my pack? With credit, of course!

Ontheheavens

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 10:15:36 AM »

Oooh, I've been considering doing something like this for some ships in the pack I'm making. Would you have any issues with me integrating your work into my pack? With credit, of course!

Sure, do whatever you want with this!

Mephansteras

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »

Sure, do whatever you want with this!

Awesome, thanks!

Ontheheavens

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Forge Production v1.0.2
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 07:56:50 AM »

Updated to version 1.0.2. Save-game compatible.

Changelog:
  • Reworked machinery usage calculation
  • Changed production report layout
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:07:26 AM by Ontheheavens »

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »

This is great, well thought out and reasonable.

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 06:55:12 PM »

Excellent, thank you!

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 11:00:14 AM »

Well done, sir! Finally playing a roider or HMI miner got an actually mining part that is fun to use.

Ontheheavens

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 11:46:53 AM »

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! Would be good to hear your opinions on current state of UI/general design, maybe some improvement tips or ideas of new features.

Also uploaded version 1.0.3. Save-game compatible.

Changelog:
  • Introduced minimum machinery and CR requirements, currently hardcoded at 10%.
  • Created a setting for production report style with grid/inverted grid variants.
  • Added module state line to hullmod tooltips.
  • Continued internal refactoring.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:54:38 AM by Ontheheavens »

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Forge Production v1.0.3
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 01:16:15 PM »

You should allow destroyers to mount forge hullmods. Just make it a requirement for them to have enough storage capacity to mount the forge: this way Buffalo, Tarsus, Prospector and Badger, some other civilian ships would be able to to serve as logistics ships pretty well.

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 07:48:33 PM »

Just started using this mod and was messing around with its behaviors and whatnot, and I noticed 2 things. Neither of which are a big deal though.

First off, the ability seems to shut off when you have it on, save, then load back up. Not really an issue, just something I noticed.

Second, the resource conversions start acting a little funny when they get really low. Probably to be expected, but I can provide an example if needed.

As far as suggestions go, I would simply ask to make it a little easier to stop certain types of forging. Like if you didn't want Heavy machinery forging to be going(in the case that you needed that metal for supplies for example), but having 5 ships that do that, have an option to stop that type rather than having to mothball/suspend repairs for each one individually.

Pretty cool mod though. Rather enjoying it so far.
"There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home."

Ontheheavens

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 05:37:51 AM »

You should allow destroyers to mount forge hullmods. Just make it a requirement for them to have enough storage capacity to mount the forge: this way Buffalo, Tarsus, Prospector and Badger, some other civilian ships would be able to to serve as logistics ships pretty well.

I think I could do 2 variants of eligibility requirements, controlled by a setting, one just cruisers/capitals, other with destroyers too... I also have an idea for specific hulls enabling, for example Phaeton or Badger would be at least somewhat fiitting as a fuel production/refinery respectively. And Prometheus, in my opinion, should absolutely have some unique fuel producing bonus as it is basically "a flying oil refinery" just looking at its sprite.

But all of this isn't that high on my priority list, currently.

Just started using this mod and was messing around with its behaviors and whatnot, and I noticed 2 things. Neither of which are a big deal though.

First off, the ability seems to shut off when you have it on, save, then load back up. Not really an issue, just something I noticed.

Yeah, I know about this one, and probably could remove two lines of code that cause this behaviour. Going to try this for next version if there's a demand.

Second, the resource conversions start acting a little funny when they get really low. Probably to be expected, but I can provide an example if needed.

Hmm. It was my intention to fix this when I introduced minimum CR and machinery requirement, but I certainly can imagine that you could end up with a bit of a value mismatch between various tooltips. Fundamentally this is caused by float nature of commodities' cargo units (and me using non-integer constants as input in settings) and integer nature of values that show up on cargo screen. This necessitates all results of a calculation that is conducted in floats to be casted to ints, which, you can imagine, introduces a whole lot of rounding difficulties. Long story short, there's a bit of a conflict in mod's design and currently its implemented solution can indeed produce some funky dynamic in extreme cases. At the same time, though, this solves a number of other design problems which I won't get to right now for the sake of brevity. What is important is that most of the "funky ***" is concentrated on the side of hullmod tooltips, ability tooltip is supposed to be 100% correct about real production values that happen with cargo.

Please, do provide any examples you can, maybe in your particular case an improvement is indeed in order!

As far as suggestions go, I would simply ask to make it a little easier to stop certain types of forging. Like if you didn't want Heavy machinery forging to be going(in the case that you needed that metal for supplies for example), but having 5 ships that do that, have an option to stop that type rather than having to mothball/suspend repairs for each one individually.

The only other way to implement this would be to introduce 4 abilities, one for each type of conversion, and I am reluctant to do this because this would introduce an amount of bloat that I consider unnecessary. The implementation of individual toggling that I have now is, too, a compromise between the ''multiple abilities'' and ''hullmod removal'' approaches that were implemented, respectively, in Dazs' Ore Refinery and creature's YREX. I am not aware of virtually any other solution, and would love to hear about it from more experienced folks.

So far I think that toggling with repair state is, frankly, the most vanilla-fitting and elegant solution to this problem, even if it is a bit micro-heavy.

Thanks for your feedback!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 05:42:28 AM by Ontheheavens »

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 06:08:11 AM »

If done right, this mod can allow the player to become a flying planet, being able to satisfy the fleet needs with enough production ships and resources, i would love to try something like this in a playthrough where i prevent myself from capturing planets.
^^
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7