Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magnetar! : The Mission  (Read 58769 times)

Quill

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Magnetar! : The Mission
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 04:00:31 PM »

I'd like to use this during my campaign regardless of how big, unbalanced or powerful the ship is. Is this possible?

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2022, 02:46:54 AM »

Give this thing some Flashes
^^

elite24

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2022, 03:56:03 AM »

Awesome, I love seeing MrDavidhoff's work brought back to life, especially the newer sprites. I actually made a campaign playable version of the older Omega dreadnought (as OP as it is) for my self to play around with, and been meaning to build some lore and campaign missions around it to make it more of a special one off reward ship than just another capital. Never released it publicly as I couldn't get in contact with  MrDavidhoff. Would you mind sharing how you were able to contact him? Will have to drop this into my game to give it a try!

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2022, 12:02:14 AM »

Never released it publicly as I couldn't get in contact with  MrDavidhoff. Would you mind sharing how you were able to contact him? Will have to drop this into my game to give it a try!
I just got lucky. I had sent him a DM on this forum last year (2021) and he randomly logged in May-June. He gave me permission to revive the Magnetar, picked the name from some suggestions that I had brainstormed, and kindly sent me an archive of his old modding stuff. I still have the DMs for safekeeping.

Awesome, I love seeing MrDavidhoff's work brought back to life, especially the newer sprites. I actually made a campaign playable version of the older Omega dreadnought (as OP as it is) for my self to play around with, and been meaning to build some lore and campaign missions around it to make it more of a special one off reward ship than just another capital.
The main reason for changing the name to Magnetar was to separate from the "Omega" in the game lore. They are distinctly separate.
Fun Fact : a Magnetar is a terrifying classification of a neutron star.
"Now, we finally get to magnetars. You may guess from the name that they're especially magnetic: up to 1 quadrillion gauss. That's 1,000 trillion times stronger than the magnetic field you're sitting in right now. That puts magnetars in the No. 1 spot, reigning champions in the universal Strongest Magnetic Field competition. The numbers are there, but it's hard to wrap our brains around them.

Those fields are strong enough to wreak havoc on their local environments. You know how atoms are made of a positively charged nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons? Those charges respond to magnetic fields. Not very much under normal conditions, but this ain't Kansas anymore, is it, Toto? Any unlucky atoms stretch into pencil-thin rods near these magnetars.

It doesn't stop there. With the atoms all screwed up, normal molecular chemistry is just a no-go. Covalent bonds? Ha! And the magnetic fields can drive enormous bursts of high-intensity radiation. So, generally bad business.

Get too close to one (say, within 1,000 kilometers, or about 600 miles), and the magnetic fields are strong enough to upset not just your bioelectricity — rendering your nerve impulses hilariously useless — but your very molecular structure. In a magnetar's field, you just kind of … dissolve."
[close]
Food for thought, eh?

Give this thing some Flashes
This was already done. The prow hardpoints are Flashes but skinned to look like MrDavidhoff's original sprite. This way, the profile is the same as his design.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 12:22:52 AM by IonDragonX »

Latrios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2022, 02:02:30 AM »

Whelp, seems the Superweapons mod is inaccessible for the time being due to... trouble... with the mod's sprites and permissions, so I guess that makes this mod unsuable as well. I've got an old version that will probably work for the time being for me, but just figured I'd mention it.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2023, 08:47:43 AM »

Whelp, seems the Superweapons mod is inaccessible for the time being due to... trouble... with the mod's sprites and permissions, so I guess that makes this mod unsuable as well. I've got an old version that will probably work for the time being for me, but just figured I'd mention it.
Thank you. I'll be working on an alternative. The current version of the Magnetar was designed well before the sprite in question and does not use it.

Overseer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2023, 01:19:57 AM »

You're not giving us players or enemies this ship? Too bad! I'M TAKING THIS SHIP INTO THE WILD FOR A SPIN!!!! MAUAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

Anyways, good mod!

JenkoRun

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2023, 11:16:46 AM »

Is this ship still not flyable? I'd really like to take her out for a spin.
Pages: 1 [2]